This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Concerned about the school I am enrolled in

I just enrolled in the medical assistant program at U.S. Career Institute. I have found that the are DETC accredeted, and I think they are NHA accredited too. But I dont think you I would be able to sit for the CMA testing after finishing this course becasue they are not accredited through the AAMA. But I read somewhere that you can get certified for the CMA through AAMA right after graduation, but to sit for certification for NHA you have to have 3 yrs of work experience.
I am just not sure about the school I have sighned up for now becasue of this, how do you get 3 yrs of work experience if you cant get hired withough certification?
I like US career institute, for the fact that I only pay 49$ a month, and its online. I think the very last course in the program is a real world practice/clinicals is what I am thinking, but I cant get a hold of them cause its the weekend, and I just sighned up for the MA program last night.
Does anyone here have anything to say about this school, has anyone taking the MA course through them?

Are You Still In School? Am enrolled in US Career Institute

Are You Working? no

Re: Concerned about the school I am enrolled in

This is what I did: Before I actually enrolled in a school, I called the Human Resources department of the biggest medical clinic in the area. I asked them specifically about the school and its program: Did the graduates gain knowledge needed to get hired? Did she have good experience with graduates she hired? Was there any additional training I could get to make me more desirable as an employee? Did the school's affiliations/accreditations meet the companies requirements? Note: She wouldn't go as far as to recommend one program over another.

Once I was satisfied, I selected a program. I'm lucky, we have 1 technical college (now 2); 1 community college program, and 1 College of Business & Technology in my area so there was competition.

I don't think I could have done it online, though. Some of the course material is difficult and I needed an instructor for help.

If you don't like the answers, find another program. You might have to start over, but you want to be employable when you finish!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA,CBCS

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes