This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
help

I need some advice from fellow medical assistants. I am planning on attending a program for becoming an MA. I am now confused because I am getting feed back from a few acquaintances that say I shouldnt waste my money and should try and find a job at an office and get on job training. Does anyone know if health practices prefer one or the other: on job trainig or certificate of completion of MA program? Any advise would be helpful, thanks everyone:)

Re: help

On the job training is good for front office tasks, like scheduling, billing, phones. But if you want to do back office jobs (vitals, blood draws, injections, assisting with procedures...) then I'd say do some research on the school you're looking at going to. If they're accredited by AAMA(CMA), and offer the externship opportunity for more experience.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

Its just sad that some schools are accredited and the MA program director/teacher at my college was horrible! I never learned how to blood draws etc. Hopefully someone will see that Im determined and willing to learn so i can get a job..waiting to hear back from the interview from yesterday. I feel like if I go back to the college and complain about not being able to get a job bc I was never shown stuff then...they will try to make it my fault somehow.

cmm4ever
Its just sad that some schools are accredited and the MA program director/teacher at my college was horrible! I never learned how to blood draws etc. Hopefully someone will see that Im determined and willing to learn so i can get a job..waiting to hear back from the interview from yesterday. I feel like if I go back to the college and complain about not being able to get a job bc I was never shown stuff then...they will try to make it my fault somehow.

You can always complain, but remember, what's done is done, they won't take you back in and teach you just because you are criticising. As a matter of fact, the moment they feel uncomfortable or threatened the walls will go up, to protect the business. There has been a wave of complaints and new educational standards and policies implemented by the Obama administration, cracking down on "for profit" vocational training schools. So, if you feel like complaining, do it in a objective manner, and remember to choose your words in a professional manner. Don't feel tempted to make it a rant or vent. That's my best advice.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin

Hopefully this goes through my computer is acting up...typed it 3 times already. Danni how would you handle this then? I'm hoping I do not have to go there (even thought I think its wrong), but if I cant find a job because the lack of training then I will. I know that I'm not the only one who felt that way either. The school isnt cheap either!! I had scheduling issues through the college that was never really taken care of completely. I figured it might get better, or that it would just be the same thing with the previous problem. I wish someone would go to these schools and really check them out thoroughly.