This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Is an MA program worth the effort for the older employee

I am 57 next month with 6 years experience as a CNA. Prior to that I was an Executive Housekeeper and Director of Environmental Svcs. For the hotel and healthcare field with 40 employess under me. I have 35 college credits in Office Technology from 2007 w/ a 3.75 GPA and worked F/T too. Is it unrealistic to spend the time and $ becoming a CMA? Yes, I would like to make a little more $ than I do now ($12.51 - $13.77 depending on the time of day I work) but more importantly, I want a more interesting position with less back breaking work and better environment than the geriatric Rehab/SNF center I am in now. I tend to get hired fairly quickly and interview well however; these chats have me concerned that this is not a very good job to look into. Are there any positive spins to this job? I hate to waste my time and I still have to work for 10-12 years.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CNA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

Re: Is an MA program worth the effort for the older employee

You could be wasting time and a LOT of money. There are many, many of us making a loan payment monthly and we got the training years ago. I did in 2005 and had one interview since then for a medical assistant position. I don't see offices hiring older MAs, and I have been in a lot of them. The older women are nurses and the young girls are MAs. You would be on your feet a lot unless you are doing desk work and to me, that is what they are supposed to hire medical secretaries for. MAs shouldn't be those but clinical helpers who can do a little of everything else.
If you got a job, it won't pay more than what you are making now. The majority of the patients you would see will be geriatrics.

Sorry to sound so negative but I am being realistic. I am 51. There are a half dozen MA programs in this area. That's a lot of grads all vying for the same few jobs that are even posted.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Working? No

Re: Is an MA program worth the effort for the older employee

Sounds like I imagined. I am taking a med. terminology course to enhance my 40 college credits in office technology and am going to look for something in more of an office environment. Thanks for your input. I am getting the same info everywhere
and there are several course locations here pumping out MA's and a ton of people vying for what few jobs that are out there. My co-worker has a friend who has been doing the MA job for 6 years and is now, finally, making $14 an hour. Really? I'll take the desk job any day and fill in on an evening or 2 as a private duty CNA.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CNA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes