This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Just passed the CMA exam a little while ago!

hi i am taking my rma exam in 2 weeks and i would love some tips on how the exam was an wat to study

Your Professional Title/Credentials: medical assistant

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? no

Congratulations!! Im so happy for you... Im a little scared im schedule to take it in March but I graduated in 2008... I hope i do well .. Any Tips?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Working? yes

Thanks!
Well I took the exam through the AAMA (CMA)...so it might not be just like the one for RMA.It was different for what I expected. I was expecting to be taking the same exam with a bunch of other people in a big room, but it was at a Sylvan's Learning Center. They really did not explain much to me, and I went into like this computer lab type of room with a few other people (some were already there before me). I'm not sure what exams they were taking. I know this one girl was taking a physical therapy exam (but I dont think she was in my room). Anyways, I was so nervous! I mean I studied my butt off and did well with the exam cd that came with my review book....but there were some questions I really wasnt sure about on the exam. Some parts I wish I had a little more time for, and some sections I had like 16 minutes left over. I would definitely suggest timing yourself answering 50 questions at a time (they give you 40 minutes for 50 questions in each section). I am just wondering if everyone gets different questions? I am not supposed to give out exact questions...but I can give you an idea. There was a question about an urinalysis and the urine sample was a certain color and asked what medication the patient prob took (I guessed on that one). Know your med term, and what should you do in this situation, EKG leads,med types, there was also a few coding questions. I was so nervous about answering all the questions before time ran out that I cant think of a lot right now. I just thought it was not what you would quite expect...on a scale of 1 to 10 (hardness) I say maybe it was a 8.Believe me, I studied and there were questions I just hoped I would get right! Im wondering what my actual grade was....anyone know how many points each question is worth? Im assuming close to a half a point each if 180 questions are graded. At the end this screen just pops up and I was so nervous to read it! Well good luck, I am hoping to find a good job soon...?!

WOW! Im even more nerveous now than i was before.....It sound like a whole lot.... at this point i just want to pass i wouldn't worry bout the score.. I really really happy you are certified now.. Good luck to you in finding a Job.. Keep me posted.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Working? yes

thanks and I will...but they say your not certified yet, I think until you get your scores..so I was wondering how to change my resume now?!

I'm looking for some insight on preparing for the certification exam. I'm choosing to be certified with the AAMA because my instructor at my technical college told me and my class mates that it was the preferred choice of physician's looking to hire in Southern California, where I live. If there's anything you recommend, I know you can't release the actual questions/answers, I'm just looking for some experienced advice from a fellow MA.

Thanks

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No