This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Job interview next week!?

Hey, so I was wondering if anyone has any advice/questions I might be asked for my interview next week? I always get super nervous. Its a confusing long story, but will try to sum it up. Well I applied to this place online through a local catholic health system. I received an automated message a few days later, saying that some stuff was impressive but I was not chosen (I bet we all here that 1 alot). By the way this ad has been up for a few months. So my mothers boyfriend told me to give him my resume bc he goes to the doctors there. He handed in my resume last friday or the friday b4....and the worker gave it to I believe the boss...who looked at it and said hmmm...?! I received a call this past Thursday, from the manager saying I'm calling regarding the application for employment that was handed in, and are you still interested? I said yes, and I have an interview Tuesday!? I thought it was weird I got that email in mid December, and now they call and seem somewhat interested. I wonder if they ever received my info bc they go through a company that forwards them applications that they think they'd be interested in. I am not sure if its a coincidence or not, but the same day I wrote an email to the woman in charge of the site I did my externship at (she told me to keep in touch), asking of any possible leads she may know of...and that I applied to OLV a while back. She emails me back the following day (after OLV called me)...saying she forwarded my information to OLV and good luck, and let her know aht happens. I'm not sure what she'd forward them or when she did it Thursday or Friday. So Hopefully Ill get the job and like it. I am so nervous! Appreciate any advice. I just thought the whole situation was weird. The thing is they really did not have job duties listed...hopefully they are willing to train...since I dont really have experience with ekg's..or blood draws, or electronic medical record, and feel liek I need a little practice with vitals still..I was in a peds office, and I believe this is all ages.

Re: Job interview next week!?

I know you are just jotting down and sharing your thoughts, but here is a little simple advice. I've noticed in reading you are apprehensive, nervous, and a bit unsure. While you listed all the things in your post about where you feel you need more training, including EKG and vitals, and such, DON'T be tempted to walk into the interview with the same concerns and blurt them out. FIND OUT FIRST what the position is all about. DON'T TELL THEM I feel I need more training... that you might need a little bit more supervision and job-specific training as a brand new graduate is a "given". Medical offices are experts in hiring, they have seen it all, and they are aware. What they WANT to see is a confident, highly motivated and interested individual that they can train into their office's specific needs. Likely they realize the benefits of a "new" medical assistant that has already proven herself by successfully graduating from a formal training program and aiming high by voluntarily sitting for the challenges of a certification exam. So, consider the events as they have unfolded for you a blessing and go in there determined to get the job. The rest will fall into place. Once in the position, do your best. It will be quickly determined whether you need some additional training. So, go for it. Give it your best shot.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin

Hi there, Danni is right. Just be yourself, and let them tell you what they are looking for. Listen very carefully to the questions they ask and think before you answer them. Don't take to long to answer. One other thing, go online and read about the company and see what they are all about. Also be confident in yourself, and your abilities that you learned in school. Good luck in journey.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: NCMA, (NCCT), AS

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes.

Thanks...so I shouldnt mention anything about needing training? Should I just say, there are some things that my school really did not touch on, but I AM WILLING TO LEARN? I will try my best...I wish I didnt feel so nervous about the whole thing...I guess thats how I get sometimes. Well they are part of the Catholic Health System so thats probably the only thing I could research...couldnt find much about the facility itself. Really hoping it works out..thank you and wish me luck Tuesday :) For those of you that have interviewed for a MA position are there routine questions they might ask?

To me there is a difference between "I need training" and "I am willing to learn" or "I would like to go over the exact details of (name skill here) one more time to solidify this particular skill once I join your team."

Again, they KNOW you just graduated. What we are saying is, don't go there and run down the list of things you don't know and never have been taught in school. Like it had been suggested earlier, FIRST!!!! First find out what it is they want you to do, otherwise you'd be jumping the gun and potentially be shooting yourself in the foot. No one wants to spend their time in an interview to hear what you cannot do and what you are nervous and unsure about. So, find out first and even then THINK before you speak! If it is EKG, for example, can you perhaps just think in your own mind: okay, I can look that up at home, and when on the job, ask my supervisor politely: we went over EKG in school and I know the basic principles behind the procedure, but can you go over it with me one more time, and show me, so I do things the WAY YOU PREFER IT DONE... How does that sound to you??? Isn't that much better than, I can't, I cant', I can't. Employers understand you might need a bit more training, but saying, I NEED training doesn't rub them the right way. They call it supervision.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin

Danni's ECG example is right on.

We have 2 ECG machines at work. They are basically the same, yet most everyone seems to like the old one. The new one is spooky, scary, smooth and shinny! It does have a different user interface and is on a NEW cart... it is sort of the same as the other, you enter patient info and push start, then there is a different button for the rhythm strip. Ooooh, spooky scary new cart.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Are You Still In School? nope

Are You Working? yep

I know you guys are right, and mean well. I just didnt want to possibly be hired and expected to do some things blood draws for example (never did one)..and have to be like I never did that before you know?! I just looked over the job ad again and it says "Two (2) years experience in a physicians office or equivalent, preferably family practice or internal medicine." Obviously she has my resume with my externship listed ( pediatrics)which was from the end of sept. to middle/end of December. I worked as a cashier for 4 years also. What can I possibly say to make that seem impressive? I mean on my reume it says I was part of the Honor Society and on the Dean's list...thats about it.