This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Abusive Doctors

Hello. I am new here. I was just wandering if it is a common thing for physicians to be so verbally abusive. I work for a family practice where we have one MD and two NP's. Our MD is also the owner of the clinic and let me tell ya he is mean. He makes ppl cry regularly and calls us either "stupid nurses" or "geniuses" and its not in a nice way either. We are human and we make mistakes but we work HARD for him/them. On Fridays I am responsible for working the lab and rooming patients and doing all of the other things I am told to do too. It is hard and he makes me feel stupid all the time

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

Re: Abusive Doctors

what dose the doctor pay? i ask this because i wonder if he just dose not apperiate the help

I dont think if it was a male MA he would act that way (assumeing he would even hire one)

I was started at 9.00 an hour. I have heard talk of the other girls making less than that when they started.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Working? Yes

I know work is hard to find, but I would start looking elsewhere.

One of the doctors in our clinic refers to the relationship between coworkers (provider and MA) as a dance.

If you don't figure out how to do the dance with the provider things can get clunky. Just like doing a bad dance, it looks horrible and feels worse.

A verbally abusive provider deserves to get all the incompetence they receive from staff who are disrespected and not trained to do what they want. All of the onus for the ill training lies squarely on the shoulders of that provider, read the word provider as trainer. I'm not saying that no onus is on the MA, only that the majority of the training onus is on the provider to express their needs.

There is also onus on the MA to anticipate the needs of the provider. Needs anticipation is a key part of the dance.

I have the potential, in my clinic, to work for so many providers; it is essential I write down notes on each providers preferences. My primary responsibility is our pediatricians. One is a gadget guy, the other is a paper chart hold out. They are partners in a practice in a nearby town and are only contracted in our clinic. I keep extensive notes so that the other MAs, or one of our RNs, can fill in when I am not there, all of the notes help to avoid the clunky dance. Each of our other providers have their own style and preferences, I keep notes on them all. NOTHING is worse than a clunky dance and poor service to patients as a result.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Are You Still In School? nope

Are You Working? yep

Hi Jefff, That was nicely put!!! I could have not said it any better myself. Have a good day.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: NCMA, (NCCT), AS

Are You Working? Yes.

do patients see this kind of attitude towards you guys shown by the doctor?

that is really the only way he will change.you know me if i talked w/ him he would have a diffrent prespective on medical assistants lol

Re: Doctors in general

Since I was a parental caregiver for years, I saw a LOT of doctors, and I also did my externship at a practice with 4 doctors and this is what I have learned - doctors are either nice to the hired help, or they are not. They are either easy to talk to and kid around with, or they are stern and the type you don't want to make mad. The doctor I was assigned to at my externship was very cold and intimidating, so I spent my time avoiding him - and that isn't good.

Since MA students are not going to be told in the first week of classes, while they still can drop out and not owe anything, that it is going to be VERY hard to find a job for the majority of them, then they should be advised that if they are normally shy or can be put off by an unfriendly doctor, then maybe this is not a career for them. An MA needs to have a good relationship with the doctor they work for, they should be able to go to him or her without fear and let any unkind remarks he or she may say roll off their back. You can't be intimidated by these duds or it will be a very miserable working experience.

What does the office manager have to say about his treatment? Is he a good, caring doctor to his patients?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA