This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
i took a pay cut

the single doctor practice i work for asked me to take a pay cut, i now make minimum wage (after makeing 9hr) and the patient load has not gone down, what makes doctors so cheap? plus he pays so low but demands experience

Re: i took a pay cut

Wow, I don't know where you live but average pay here for a MA is $ 15 to $ 25 per hour.Do you at least get benefits ?
Hospitals pay better and have a range $22-$35per hour.
I currently make $38 but have been at my job for years.
I realize that this area has higher pay then most places but $ 9.00 seems low to me.The economy is being hit everywhere and at least it's a job.
Do you have an arrangement that if the numbers improve you can go back to your original pay? I would check other, like kind offices , to see how much others are making. It will help you negotiate in the future.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: EMT / ER PCT/ MA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yas

Here where I live, one group owns the majority of clinics, so starting pay is lower than BLS average for the area (which doesn't make sense). I've been told that once you get hired and prove your ability, increases and chances of promotion come frequently.

I know what you're talking about, though. The career services dept insisted we accept no less than $12.00 per hour because "you have an associate's degree!". But if the pay isn't there, what can you do?

I am volunteering as much as I can to make contacts for a better opportunity.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA,CBCS

Are You Working? Yes

Hi and where do you live?!!

I noticed your additional certs. The EMT alone would push the payscale up considerably in my neck of the woods. You have in depth experience in emergency medicine.

Hard work pays off

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA,CBCS

Are You Working? Yes

I live in Michigan the min wage is 7:40 and that is what i was bumped down to from 9 hr,the dr cites "operation costs" and get this "obamacare" another tea party putz (sorry for my political jab) but its frustrating

Maybe it is time to move on.

Would I take a pay cut to keep my job, yes. Would I be looking for other work, yep.

In my last career there was no choice. We were all let go, workers and management the whole section, merry Christmas you just lost your job. If I had had the choice I would have taken a huge pay cut to stay, but that is not the way of the corporation. Ship the whole thing to Singapore; I don't think that will happen to healthcare.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Are You Still In School? nope

Are You Working? yep