This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: What Stands Behind the Medical Assistant Name?

I'm glad to hear from you men. I went to school with 2 during my 15 months, and they are simply excellent.
Way to go Frank and Bob!

BTW--RECRUIT MORE MEN! We need to get the pay scale up, and males entering Nursing is what helped their pay rates.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA,CBCS

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

Danni R.
Not EVERY medical assistant is certified, but every medical assistant I've encountered is proud and giving it their best!
At the risk of sounding like ____ (fill in the blank), "hell ya!"

The clinic I work at has a history, like many, starting out small and growing over time. Having worked at a couple other clinics prior to being here, I still see the growth pains they have gone through and need to go through to get bigger. They started with medical assistants who had little or no training, just as the medical assisting profession evolved from a doc training someone off-the-street to do job x and assist with task y. Currently they are asking the non-certified/registered to become certified/registered. It shocks me how these MAs, who are entirely competent and truly awesome, torture themselves with anxiety over the testing process. I have tried to assure them they are doing the exact thing that my classmates and I did facing the CMA(AAMA) exam. Correct me if I am wrong, this is why the AMT has a time requirement as an MA to become an RMA.

Of my 4 co-workers who are MAs, one already is a LRT. One is currently taking the class to get her LRT, and just passed the RMA exam. One has been an LPN for years, working as an MA, and is seeking RMA certification. The other one though fully qualified has too much anxiety and has been told, by people who used to work there, and through negative self-talk that she is not good enough. I call BS, she does the job every day and does it well, with 6 years of experience and a little study she will do fine.

I'll quote the maintenance guy who took my last CPR class with me, "here on the res, this is the way we do it." So, I say, "hell ya!"

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Are You Still In School? nope

Are You Working? yep

Jeff - Refer them to the AAMA website for practice exams. This will boost their confidence, and help them realize just how skilled they are and how intelligent in their field.

AAMA website, CMA (AAMA) exam tab, Prepare for the CMA (AAMA), practice tests.

My instructor used these as part of our exam review. If you know your basics, you're good. The biggest area I needed extra study time in was the developmental psychology stuff (Piaget, Freud, Erikkson, etc)HIPAA, some law & ethics, and some OSHA.

Doc also recommended a KINN's study guide for the MA exam, which can sometimes be found on Amazon or Ebay used. We used their textbook, and I did the exam review tests online. It definitely prepared me!

Are You Working? Yes

What stands behind a Medical Assistant's name?

For me, it's quality, dedication, and commitment to excellence. (Thought I think employers see us as simply more value for their dollar, at least until they get more familiar with the specialty)

I worked my butt off to learn as much as possible, and I was blessed with an instructor who provided as much as we could handle, knowledge wise! Way to go Dr. Mac @ Skyline in Roanoke, VA!!

The field offers more opportunity to specialize, and if you do your job well you will become indispensable!

Are You Working? Yes

Terri
What stands behind a Medical Assistant's name?

For me, it's quality, dedication, and commitment to excellence. (Thought I think employers see us as simply more value for their dollar, at least until they get more familiar with the specialty)

I worked my butt off to learn as much as possible, and I was blessed with an instructor who provided as much as we could handle, knowledge wise! Way to go Dr. Mac @ Skyline in Roanoke, VA!!

The field offers more opportunity to specialize, and if you do your job well you will become indispensable!

Sadly, some employers still see their medical assistant as "Girl Friday" and wouldn't even think about hiring a male medical assistant, but that's beside the point. Most employers understand and appreciate the value a medical assistant brings to their practice.

I like what you have posted, and agree. WELL SAID. Thanks.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin

What is an LRT?

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No

Limited Rad. Tech.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Are You Still In School? nope

Are You Working? yep