This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Podiatrists office

jefff
At my back office externship there was a podiatrist. It was Orthopedics. The podiatrist was attached to the Ortho department in that clinic. I recall the MA who worked in that area doing a lot of prep for things like nail removal, ingrown toenails and a bunch of routine podiatric care. The RPC was mostly for diabetics or people who couldn't bend over to take care of their feet. The main tools were broom and dustpan. They went through a lot of heavy duty clippers, more like side cutters (or wire cutters), on steroids. Huge nail files are also used. He also had surgery days where he fixed hammer toes, I only know he does this because he fixed a friends toes. The local podiatrist here uses a dremel with a dust buster to trim nails.

I hope this helps

LOL Jefff, while this was a very helpful summary, even for me who never ever has set foot (LOL) into a podiatry office, but at the same time it made me laugh. I own a horse and every 6 weeks we have the farrier (another word for blacksmith) come to the barn to trim the horses hooves. He works with large nippers, huge rasps and pearing knives and there ALWAYS is a broom and dust pan involved. Therefore, I couldn't help but giggle in reading.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin

Hi there, It doesn't matter if you have a Certification or not. Look at this way, it would be an extra skill under your belt, and at this point in time getting the experience is worth more than the benefits. If you were picked to work there, I would count it as a blessing.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: NCMA, (NCCT), AS

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes.

Thanks for the info. I sort of get the idea a little better now. But, does anyone know what the pay might be like?

Pay really depends on where you are and the size of the practice. I know at my externship location MAs made what every MA in the clinic earned, with merit and longevity raises, very competitive compensation.

There is a local podiatrist who seems to go through a lot of MAs. Every year or so she has an ad out for new meat. Her initial pay seems to be competitive, but I'm thinking she has little or no wiggle room for pay increases after you are there. She is a single doctor practice and shares an office space with a pain management doctor and she is not associated with any of the local clinics or health organizations.

Good luck!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Are You Still In School? nope

Are You Working? yep