This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: RMA vs CMA-One better than the other?

Sorry, Kellyn. You are SOOOOOOO WRONG about the differences between a CMA(AAMA) and the RMA (AMT) credential. You stated a CMA was better because a CMA had to take classes like
"Human anatomy, physiology and pathology
·Medical terminology ·Keyboarding and computer applications · Recordkeeping and accounting ·Coding and insurance processing ·Laboratory techniques ·Clinical and diagnostic procedures ·Pharmacology ·Medication administration ·First aid · Office practices ·Patient relations. "

Well, guess what? If an individual attends a school that gives the RMA exam at the couse completion, that student will have gone through these very same classes.

The ONLY and I repeat ONLY difference between the CMA(AAMA) and RMA(AMT) certification is the name. AAMA has a COPYRIGHT on "Certified Medical Assistant." Do you people understand what a copyright is for?? There is also a LOT of confusion when the initials CMA stand for Certified Medication Aide, which is a nursing assistant that has taken additional classes to be qualified to pass meds in a long-term care facility.

The only other area of confusion I can see is who is QUALIFIED to sit for the exams. The AAMA does not allow individuals to sit for their exam unless that individual has attended a school that is either CAAHEP or ABHES certified. AAMA does not allow individuals who have OJT only to sit for the exam. However, AMT allows individuals with a minimun 5 years experience to sit for the AMT RMA exam.

Both the AMT and AAMA certification exams cover the SAME material. Don't you medical assistants even know what your duties are? If you don't I hope you are not practicing currently.

If you are still confused about this, go to your library and check out a test prep book for the medical assisting certification exams given by the AAMA and AMT. Most books mention both organizations.

(And I am not even going to mention the RMA certification given by the American Association of Medical Personnel) to keep from confusing you further.

A good idea would be to log onto the AMT and AAMA websites and get the current, CORRECT information.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA (AMT)

Are You Still In School? NO

Are You Working? YES

EVERY single class listed are ones I was trained in and I am a RMA. That means I am CERTIFIED,by the way. There is NO difference in the courses offered. The misconceptions about the RMA title continues. AMT better get on the ball and clear them up. If I thought for one minute that because my resume states "RMA" that it would cause the would-be employer to think "That's not as good as a CMA", I would be infuriated.

Re: Re: RMA vs CMA-One better than the other?

I am an RMa.I went to school for 2 years, graduated with a 4.0 GPa, took all the same classes as CMAs take including all medical and general ed classes. I passed the RMa on my first attempt, work as an RMA in an office and also work as the office manager. I also do the x rays for the office i work in. I am currently going to school at a state university in their nursing program. I plan on becoming a Nurse Practitioner. And just for the record for any RMAs reading this, the university accepted some of my medical credits and applied them to my current program so obviously our schools are accredited.I also have trained externs from a CMA program and let me tell you that out of 30 i have trained, only 5 of them had any medical sense and knowledge, most of the CMAs i have met need alot more training. Also I worked with a lady in her 40's that had been in the medical field for 15 years and she recently took a CMA exam so whoever posted the orignal message was mistaken.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA, Certified Radiology Technician

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

Mistaken about what? My original point was how I was only seeing ads specifying CMA's which at the time I took to mean those certified through AAMA. Since then I have come to wonder if it is a generic term for ANY certified MA. Also I had heard that some offices and hospitals won't even recognize any other agency,and I wanted to know WHY. If there is a thinking among those that do the hiring that only MAs who took the AAMA exam are more qualified and desired,then that needs to be rectified.

As for a CMA being poorly trained,then how did they get that title in the first place,how were they able to pass the test? If the CMA-geared training was bad,then it was the school's fault. There are many,many schools out there with an MA program and a LOT are not up to par. But the content of study for both the CMA and RMA exam is basically the same.

I am also well aware that many offices don't even care if you have taken a certifying test,they mainly want some kind of medical training and experience. This is a reason why so many trained and tested MAs have trouble getting a job-because someone who didn't go through it all got in there first. And that is a reason why this field need to be a licensed one.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

OK, I can see where this discussion is going. There seems to be a lot of confusion out there about CMA vs RMA. Well, let me say this, the only REAL difference is in the initials. As far as the exams go, they both test for the same skills. I know this because let me give you a little of my background.

1. I am a Registered Medical Assistant and Allied Health Instructor with AMT.
2. I am a Registered Medical Assistant and Registered Phlebotomy Technician with the American Association of Medical Personnel.
3. I am a Certified Medical Assistant with the American Association of Medical Assistant
4. I have a Bachelor of Science degree in Health Education.

I did NOT need a degree to earn the RMA, RPT, or CMA designation. Here's what I had to do to earn
1. RMA and RPT by the AAMP (received by reciprocity due to my military career as a medic.
2. RMA by AMT (received eligibility to sit for their exam based on my military education and experience.)
3. CMA by AAMA (received eligibility to sit for their exam based on my military education and experience.

I see LOTS of ads in the paper for a "CMA". MOST of these ads are referring to a Certified Medication Assistant - not even close to a Certified Medical Assistant.

I have ran across a very few RMAs(AMT) who had trouble getting a job because the practice wanted a CMA (AAMA). AMT has a letter they can provide to prove their RMA is equivalent to the CMA (AAMA).

I am puzzled as to why so many people seem to think the certification exams for RMA (AMT) and CMA (AAMA) are so different. They are NOT! I have take them both!

Also, I think the AAMA is MUCH more proactice in promoting the medical assisting field than is AMT. Also, AAMA is quite a bit older than AMT (at least for medical assisting). AMT originally started out as a certifying agency for lab tech, and then moved into some other allied health areas.

Lab Techs certified with AMT often run into trouble concerning their certifications as opposed to the certification awarded by the ASCP (NOT to be confused with the ASPCA - HA! HA! couldn't resis the joke). Here again, AMT has a letter explaining that the certified Lab Tech of AMT is equivalent to the certification from ASCP.

The RMA (AMT) is by no means "limited to the state in which you work." To my knowledge, there are no states besides California (and I think maybe Florida) that REQUIRE certification. There are some states that require you graduate from an "approved" MA school, though, (I think).

Another really big issue here, is whether or not your school is recognized by the AMT or AAMA. If those organizations do not recognize your school, you cannot sit for their exam upon graduation. With AMT you CAN work for five years and then sit for the exam. However, with AAMA you can work for 20 years but if your school is "not approved" you are not going to be eligible for their exam.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: B.S.E., RMA, AHI

Are You Working? yes

I agree that the exams are quite similar as I have sat for both as well. I agree with Suzy.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CNA/RMA/LPN

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

Heres the facts guys. RMA vs. CMA, no difference at all. If the job requires you to be a CMA, and you are a RMA you are qualified and can apply for the job. Both designations mean the same. Its the same as the LPN and LVN title. In some states you are called a LPN and some you are called a LVN . Same title same job. Both tests are the same, I have taken both. Some jobs just want to make a bias on qualifications, i seen where they want you to be certified by the AAMA or they wont accept you. Im not sure if this is legal, that should be checked into.
Now my personal opinion, I think AMT is a better certifying body cause they recognize people who have been working the the field five years or more. A MA with 5-10 years of knowledge, then takes the exam and passes might be better training than a MA fresh out of school and just or moderately passes the AAMA exam, after all you can meet the minimum score on both test and still be called a CMA, or RMA, just my opinion though.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA, NREMTB, CNA

Are You Still In School? YES

Are You Working? YES

I agree completely with Suzy and the second poster RMA.

CMA and RMA are just two different credentials from two different certifying sponsors, one is the AAMA, the other is the AMT. Both certification exams attest to the certificant's knowledge in the clinical and administrative areas of the medical assistant profession.

I also agree that AMT is the better of the two as far as professonal membership and support. AMT has done a great job keeping their certification rules and requirement open to real people. I almost want to say the "average guy" but that would be a little confusing to put it that way, because they also have expectations to meet, and a reputation to keep.

However, yes, they recognize that a person who might not have the diploma from an accredited school, but has many years of experience and training, and continuous employment under his/her belt should be allowed to sit for their examination exam. And why not???? Just because one graduated from school, and passes the exam, which consists of multiple choice questions, or one worked for years, and passes the exam, means the same thing to me = the person has demonstrated that they are qualified to do the job!

AMT also recognizes the skills of our military personell, such as the medics, which are WELL trained, and should indeed be given the satisfaction of working as medical technologists when they leave the Armed Services.

AAMA wants to portray the image that CMA's are distinguished from the rest. Which, like it has been put so well, it's actually not much of a difference at all --- if any. Hopefully, over time, AAMA won't loose focus on what certification is REALLY about.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Web Stie Owner/Site Admin

hiitsme posted earlier under a different thread:

Jun 27th, 2007 - 4:14 PM Re: CMA BY M.D. SPONSOR IS POSSIBLE

Hi, I am responding to one of the replies that stated in order to get your RMA that you must have first taken the certifying exam through the AAMA. That is not true.

You can't sit for the exam to become certified through the AAMA if you are not a graduate of an accredited program but if you have five or more years experience as an MA, you can sit for the RMA exam through AMT. You do not have had to of sat for your CMA or any other exam first.

Just wanted to let you know.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Web Stie Owner/Site Admin

Well i just finished school and i also just passed the RMA and now i am looking for a job in the field. and it seems as if i am having some trouble because no one seems to want to hire a medical assistant when the have LPN and nurses around why is it so hard for me to find a job as a medical assistant iowa

Are You Still In School? Graduated

Are You Working? as nurse assistant

Thank you all for posting these replies. I just happened to cross this site while researching for my med law on criteria for certification of MA's.
Thanx a lot I will be visiting this site often!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CNA/student of Medical Assistant

Are You Working? no

Re: RMA vs CMA- - testing without having taken a course

I came upon this site while I was searching for information on challenging the CMA/RMA exams. I have a certification as a CNA (certified Nursing Assistant) & also I am awaiting my License as EMT-I.

I have been doing all aspects of Emergency medicine for over 10+ years, along with working in various hospitals, nursing homes, etc.

In reading some of your emails about the different tests, am I reading it correclty that you do not have to have gone through a Credited School to be able to sit for the exam. I'm looking to challege the exam with all the experiene & knowledge that I have.

Thanks Sherry

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CNA, EMT-I

Are You Working? Not Presently

Well, as far as I know.... you DO need to go to an accredited school for the CMA exam....

Are You Working? yes

American Medical Technologists will allow someone who has worked as a medical assistant for a minimum of five years to take the exam.

Last year, the AMT implemented a lawsuit against the AAMA over the use of CMA vs. RMA. The lawsuit stipulated that, in fact, the designation of RMA was identical to CMA. What is important here is that AMT WON THE LAWSUIT. Now just what does this mean - that any job that recognizes CMA should be able to accept the RMA designation. If you become RMA you can obtain a letter from AMT explaining that the RMA is the same as the CMA.

The rub to me is that I do not believe that AMT is doing enough to promote the RMA. I think this is because the group is made up primarily of MTs and MLTs. I am the secretary of the Oklahoma State of Society of AMT, and I think I will bring this topic up at the next board meeting, which will not be until April. The OKSSAMT has 2 national board members so I am going to make a plea with them about this situation and that enough just isn't being accomplished.

Also, I posted several article and even e-mailed the "National" medical assistant rep for AMT but never receieved an answer. I think I will go on more of a campaign and let AMT know that while they are making great roads into issues for AMT's, the RMA's are being ignored.

I have considered switching my affiliation from AMT to the AAMA, simply because I feel that AAMA is doing more to promote the medical assistant profession than AMT is. Maybe this will get the ball rolling for RMAs.

Another thing that might help, ask the hiring agency if they are familiar with the RMA designation. If not then maybe you can enlighten them on the subject.

Are You Working? yes

In response to Tracy's question about CMA's having an associate degree:

That totally depends on the school you are attending. Certification has nothing to do with the type of degree you receive.

Certification is based on the number of program hours program completed as well as course content, not whether it is a degree producing program. Also, instructor qualifications are looked at in order for the program to be sanctioned by the AAMA or the AMT. To become CMA or RMA certified, the courses usually consist of at least 760-900 hours of classroom work and internship. Both CMA and RMA require an internship to become certified.

It is also up to the school on which organization they wish to certify with. Schools must meet the CAAHEP or ABHES requirements to be eligible for "accredited". If the school is not "accredited" by either ABHES or CAAHEP, then the student is not eligible to sit for the RMA or CMA exams.

MA's who have not have formal training, but OJT may sit for the AMT RMA exam after 5 years of employment.

Access the AMT website (AMT1.com)and look for the chapter is your state. Contact one of the board members and ask to come to a state society meeting (they will usually let you do this at no cost) so you can become more familiar with the organization.

I live in Oklahoma and am the state society secretary. The AAMA has no state chapter in OK, and that is one of the reasons I am prejudicial against the AAMA - lack of chapter societies. AMT has a chapter is every state as well as the virgin islands.

Are You Working? yes

I just passed the RMA on 12/7 and contacted the president of the state chapter of AAMA to inquire about attending their meetings for my ceu's and to let her know I'm currently looking for employment. Does RMA even have state chapters? Turns out, she is a CMA/Office Manager and asked for my resume because she knew of an opening. Her reaction to my resume was that she said, "YOu are misrepresenting yourself as a certified medical assistant. You are not certified.You cannot apply as a certified medical assistant. If you came into my office as a certified medical assistant and I found out you are RMA, I would not grant you an interview. You need to change your resume." I never used the CMA credentials on my resume but under the heading "Certification" I stated, Registered Medical Assistant, American Medical Technologist. The CMA/Office manager objected to this specifically. I offered documentation to my certification but I get a clear message from her...only CMA's are certified medical assistants! I have requested

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? No

Rena,
this medical office manager is wrong. Perhaps she is unaware, but the meaning of the term registered is the same as certified. A Registered Medical Assistant is CERTIFIED as such. It is beyond me that this misconception still exists.

Donald A. Balasa, JD, MBA, who is the AAMA Executive Director and Legal Counsel of the AAMA made the following public statement in August 2007:

"AMT and its Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) certificants may use the phrase “certified medical assistant” in small letters and only in the primary, descriptive sense to describe the credentialing services offered by AMT’s Registered Medical Assistant program, or to describe individuals who have been awarded the RMA certification." [End quote]

You can read the entire statement on the AAMA website and refer your office manager to their site also:

http://www.aama-ntl.org/CMAToday/archives/publicaffairs/details.aspx?ArticleID=484

Danni R.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner?Site Admin

What a bunch of crap! She must have been ticked off that you were asking to attend AAMA meetings for CEUs when you took your test through their main competitor. AMT does have regional meetings,about twice a year. If you are a member someone should be contacting you as to where and when they will be,but you have to have a membership.

Is THIS the thinking of the AAMA,that only those certified through their agency are certified?

Thank you for clearing this up Danni. So...I can apply for a CMA position as long as use lower case letters, ie...certified medical assistant. Funny, I heard from the CMA/Office Manager within HOURS of submitting my resume, yet since I offered documentation that I am indeed certified...silence for over 24 hours now. I guess the position will be offered to someone more qualified.

Are You Working? No

I'm wondering if a good way to explain the difference between a CMA and an RMA to an office manager is to compare it to the difference between an MD and DO?(which really comes down to the initials being different, not the skills, scope, or ability)

Are You Working? No

To everyone: Please read my post of Nov 29 concerning the lawsuit AMT brought against and WON, over the AAMA regarding the use of "certified medical assistant". Like I said, AAMA has a "copyright" over the initials "CMA" however, if you are an RMA through the AMT, you most certainly are a "certified" medical assistant. Probably the office manager is jealous, doesn't really keep up to date with current happenings in her chosen "profession", and like so many others of the AAMA, thinks the AAMA is the ONLY thing happening out there. I will try to contact AMT national headquarters and get more information about the RMA vs. CMA thingy and get up on this board.

Are You Working? yes

Re: Re: RMA vs CMA-One better than the other?

Let me shed some clarity on this issue...it seems that everyone is getting caught on on the "R" and "C". CMA simply indicates that you went to an accredited college and took the required classes and sat for the AAMA exam. RMA indicates that you may or maynot have had formal training in school BUT you have at least 5 years or more active clinical work experience in the field. This allows medical assistants that did not formally go to school to obtain the needed cred. For example, I did not go to school to become a MA...I was already in college working on my BA, but put myself through school working as a MA in hospitals and clinics that provided hands on training. I've been a MA since 1996 received my BA in Health Communication and Healthcare studies. Recent trends and fear of malpractice have forced facilites to ensure their MAs have adequate training. I left direct patient care because employers could no longer afford to pay me my required salary, then decided to teach. The college I work for informed me with the level of experience I could sit for the RMA exam, But make no mistake Americam Medical Technologist put those that sit for the exam through the ringer...they verify every minute of MA experience, whatever education you do have, you must have a recommendation signature either from an M.D. or an member of AMT, and they call all your refernces. Then they let you know if they will allow you to take the exam...for that reason alone I think the process to be an RMA stands out.
A person that attends school can automaticlly sit for the exam. I have worked with MA that graduated from a MA program and didn't know how to do anything, so in my classes I really try to make sure they have the skills...there are a lot of colleges that offer the program, but may not truly provide the students with skills.
I teach all hands on clinical courses and some basic like Med Term and A & P.

To be a CMA or RMA requires meeting the qualifications for each program the difference is only how you received your education, remember CMAs are coming out of school, so they lack real work experience and RMA have longer term experince and in some cases may have missed classes like A&P, but will learn through the job, both credentials indicated the individuals ablity to to the job and it is up to the hiring agency to determine what holds more weight...book work vs work experience. In addition it is foolish to lump CMAs in one catergory and RMAs in another especially since everyones background is different...I started out as a phyiscal therapy student therefore taking more A&P courses than are needed for both CMA/RMA certification.

Whether you hold RMA credentials like me or CMA credentials rest assured you wouldn't hold either if you didn't work for.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Medical Assistant Instructor

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? Yes

Thank you ...Suzy, RMA & Dani I copuldn't have said it better myself!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Medical Assistant Instructor

Are You Working? Yes

This is crazy that this is going on. My school offers student 2 take the RMA and i thought that would be enough 2 get me a job nut it seems like people dont have the right facts out there. I have also seem most ads for medical assisting jobs only asking for CMA's and i figured i can still work as a RMA. I hope when i take my test and look for job i dont run into problems

Your Professional Title/Credentials: HHA, CNA, MA

Are You Working? NO

I went to a 15wk program to learn Clinical Medical Assisting and after my 160hr externship I became a RMA without taking any test. The diffence is CMA programs are alot longer. Cmas learn front office skills were Rmas learn only clinical

Are You Working? no

You are way off in your thinking. There are no "CMA programs",there are just medical assisting programs and only the accredited ones allows you to become either a CMA or an RMA,but it's whatever you choose,not what the school was teaching. The programs teach the same skills,there is no emphasis on one area for CMAs,and another area for RMAs. This has already been cleared up. You CANNOT become an RMA without taking a test. If you are being told by this 15 week school that you are an RMA and you didn't sit for the AMT exam then you are being lied to big time.

i think it depends on the employer. i just went to a career fair here in boise, idaho today, and spoke with a representative of St. Luke's, one of the two largest medical groups in town. He stated that although he isn't even in a position to have to know the difference between CMA & RMA, he does, however, know that that St. Luke's in particular will hire either one, but that they pay CMA's more. maybe that's just an idaho thing, or something, we seem to generally be a bit backwards, and behind the times, in comparison to the rest of the country.

So, does anyone know, what a person would have to do to get both, just to cover all their bases? is that do-able? also, i've thought about getting my C.N.A. as well, just so i can either work under a Dr. or a nurse. i figgure this will make me even more marketable. i wonder how i could go about doing that or if it would even be worth it. anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: NCPT, CPR/BLS, First Aid/Bloodborne Pathogens

Are You Still In School? No. graduated Magna *** Laude in Dec., '07

Are You Working? not yet

From what information I have recieved there is no difference in the credentials-the difference is what organization you take your certification exam...they are two different organizations and they can call it whatever they want when you pay them that money for the test. And the NRCMA is both, offered by a different organization, and it is good nationwide.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA and NRCMA pending

Are You Still In School? technically I am still a student until we graduate but I am all done with my hours.

Are You Working? currently seeking fulltime employment

RMAs are better than CMAs in the fact that we go to school longer (at least in NYC) and take more science courses; such as Microbiology, Pharmacology, Interpersonal communications, Medical ethics and law, Business and technical writing, and English Comp. II.

We get paid more and because we get credits for what we study (60 crdts), we can continue our education right on.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA, EMT-B

Are You Working? Yes

Know your facts. An RMA can be someone who only had "on the job experience", at least 5 years, no formal schooling, and took the exam through AMT. Go to the AMT web-site for a full explanation.

In my area of the US, RMA's are not hired because it is assumed you did not go to school to become certified.

An RMA or CMA is still an unlicensed health care worker. The end result an emplyoer wants is certification.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Certified Clinical Medical Assistant

Are You Still In School? Working towards BSN in nursing-graduate dec. 08

Are You Working? ER 5 years

I ran into the same problem with a position they stated that they preferred a CMA over an RMA and I don't know why I've take numerous classes to receive my A.S. in this field and to be down played because of the schools its crazy but now someone else hired me as an MA and I am pleased with the pay but to be honest I really dont think there is a difference. I shall say thou I took the exam for the RMA and my school told me I was eligible to take the CMA test and that it was recommended and if its for me to go into the same field with the same starting pay then why waste extra time and money.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CNA, NPT PHLEBOTOMIST, NONE CERT DIALYSIS TECH, and AMT RMA

Are You Still In School? YES

Are You Working? YES

I have read a few of the comments here, and I like others have been confused about the difference in the two, I moved here in June this year from N.Y. was working as a MA in New York and thought that I better be certified b4 I arrived here in NC, many of these company's make me feel as if my schooling is a waste of time. Yes I am certified in New York, but after taking and passing the medical ass., and Phleb. for NY state I payed my 90.00$ to sit for the National Cert. that I also passed, since being here all I am ever asked is are you thru the AAMA or the AMT. I think it's nonsense and so does my instructor after feeling as if I have no worth I called my instructor back in Manhattan and she said what difference does it make you CERT. after calling AAMA they said they could not help me, call AMT as if they are better. I called AMT and was sent an application to sit for there test and a test booklet that I had to pay 25.00$ for so I can sit for their test, I feel as if I should not have to sit for any other test when I just payed 90 for the test this past June can someone tell me what they feel about this matter.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA/Cert. Phlebotomist

Are You Working? Sometimes (Temp)

The CMA and RMA are both the same. RMA is through the AMT and The CMA is through AAMA. They are both equally the same. Only difference is that the CMA has been around longer and the RMA was more common on the West coast and has become more widely spread. You get the same pay with either. The CMA however, has its perks, because through the AAMA, you can get your CEU's through there catalogs, conventions and so forth. But being in school and deciding which one to take, I have learned that they are both equally as good, one is cheaper and shorter, but Doctors recognize both of them. I have even called doctors offices and ask what they prefer. Also, the RMA is offered every month or two, and the CMA is only offered twice a year and it costs more. I have been in school for a little over a year, and once I finish my internship I will be able to take either one, or both if I choose. So, you dont have to have different schooling for the CMA.

Are You Working? Intern

WOW, this is fascinating!! I have been working in the medical field for 21 years! I started out as a receptionist with no college education. My managers and supervisors always saw that I had more potential, and they trained me to be a "medical assistant". As the clinic grew, they offered classes to employees, such as, injections, medication administration and venipuncture. I have certificates of completion in all of these and have had extensive "hands on" experience in OB/GYN, Podiatry, Family Medicine and 10 years in Urgent Care. I recently left this company and moved out of state. I just went to an interview with a medical group that wants either a CMA or RMA, and even with all of my experience, I am concerned that I won't pass the RMA exam. I can tell you that when I left Urgent Care, I was training the back office staff, including LVN's and RN's, but is that enough? I know that I should have gone to school, but children and a lousy marriage were always in the way. Are there any RMA's out there that took the test without going to school that can give me some advice?
Thanks!!

Are You Working? yes

Re: RMA exam

I can send you the AMT RMA Preview Exam if you would like. It can give you an idea what type of questions are on the test.

the only difference is the name i have my RMA and i can still get a job in the field as long as you have some kind of certification that is ok.

Are You Still In School? Grauduated

Are You Working? yes

LLC.......I would love to have the pre-test. Is there a website I can go to to get it?
Thanks!!

Are You Working? yes

Re: RMA preview

No, just email me and I will send you it.

I am A Male RMA and am very proud of my education
however, am unable to find work. I dont know if its because Im Male or My age Im 43.Im new in the medical field ive been teaching for 15 years prior to
retraining.Its frustrating that I went two years very excited about the training and my new degree and passing of my RMA exam that I worked so hard for and very few replies on the 200 resumes with cover letters. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Registered Medical Assistant

Are You Working? unemployed

There is a huge difference between the AAMA and the AMT! You do not have to go to school to be registered throught the AMT! All you need is 5 years "on the job training". That is why many employers will only hire CMA's over RMA's.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Radiologic Technologist/MA

Are You Working? YES

Why not get both? the certs don't cost very much and if you are just starting out, the more certs and memberships to professional organizations you have, the better.

I think getting work as a medical assistant depends mostly on you, not where you went to school or what certifications you have. If you work hard, understood and competently perform the procedures you learned, have good attendance, and grasp the concept of professionalism, you'll be fine.

I'm the back office manager of a large free clinic. It's almost insulting when people come to interviews completely unaware of how to dress/behave. You need to be able to communicate clearly, neatly groomed, and wear conservative business attire, and have a copy of your resume (make sure there are no spelling errors on it). Above all, don't be late and don't be rude to the front office staff. So many people just don't get it. It's the attention to the small details that separate the employed from the unemployed.

I'm also more likely to hire someone with both certifications. It's not that expensive and it shows to me that you are willing to go the extra mile.

Don't discount volunteer experience if you can't find a good job. Call free clinics and the Veterans Administration. I got my start at the VA and the experience was invaluable. It sucked having to work for free and then still have to work for crap at wal-mart, but it paid off. I got my next job through one of the doctor's at the VA, his best friend was looking for a back office MA for his cardiology practice. Always try and network, you never know what kind of jobs it will lead to.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA, RMA, RPT, CPT

Are You Still In School? yes, PA school baby!

Are You Working? yes

I live and work in Florida. I graduated from a horrible school that I spent WAY too much money on. School is a waste of money and time if you have all that real experience!! I have been out of school for 6 years. I think a little review and you'll be ready to take the test. Keep in mind each state is differnt and I would make the same money if I went to school or on the job training or certified or not!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA, MHM

Are You Working? yes

Actually, they are both the same. Some places hire RMA where others hire CMA...doesn't make any sense, right? But it's true. And you can take both tests and be registered AND certified. But my advice would be to figure out what state you want to work in & find out which one that state or nearby surrounded states hire. That would be your best bet.

I am a clinical MA instructor in a Washington State Community College and have worked as an MA in the past. The RMA/CMA are now both electronic and 200 questions. The subject matter is the same, the testing protocol is the same. The credentials are interchangeable as far as most employers go here in Washington.

The nice thing about the AMT (who issues the RMA credential) is that if you are an instructor with a minimum of two years experience, either an RMA or CMA credential, three letters of recommendation and $25.00 annually, you can become a Certified Allied Health Instructor.

I think it is important to stop the dissent over whether the CMA or RMA is better and focus on getting our graduates to take and pass a national exam. Passing a national exam raises the awareness and appreciation of those who work with/hire our professionals.

Are You Still In School? Teaching

Are You Working? Yes

I happen to highly disagree with you. I think as well as many people I know, think that $90 for a certification test is expensive. It's really expensive when you can afford that $90 for one much less $180 for both tests. I think that is insane that you prefer to hire someone with RMA/CMA certs than a person with only one of the certs because you don't believe they don't cost that much. I just took my RMA a month ago, and out of a scale from 0-100 I got a 94-100. Now, you're saying you wouldn't hire me simply because I don't have my CMA as well?

Marisol
Why not get both? the certs don't cost very much and if you are just starting out, the more certs and memberships to professional organizations you have, the better.

I think getting work as a medical assistant depends mostly on you, not where you went to school or what certifications you have. If you work hard, understood and competently perform the procedures you learned, have good attendance, and grasp the concept of professionalism, you'll be fine.

I'm the back office manager of a large free clinic. It's almost insulting when people come to interviews completely unaware of how to dress/behave. You need to be able to communicate clearly, neatly groomed, and wear conservative business attire, and have a copy of your resume (make sure there are no spelling errors on it). Above all, don't be late and don't be rude to the front office staff. So many people just don't get it. It's the attention to the small details that separate the employed from the unemployed.

I'm also more likely to hire someone with both certifications. It's not that expensive and it shows to me that you are willing to go the extra mile.

Don't discount volunteer experience if you can't find a good job. Call free clinics and the Veterans Administration. I got my start at the VA and the experience was invaluable. It sucked having to work for free and then still have to work for crap at wal-mart, but it paid off. I got my next job through one of the doctor's at the VA, his best friend was looking for a back office MA for his cardiology practice. Always try and network, you never know what kind of jobs it will lead to.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA/CPR-AED/FIRST AID

Are You Working? NO

The fact that AAMA is self proclaiming to be the best is because the truth outweight the fact that AMT IS BETTER AND COLLEGE EDUCATED. AAMA is vocational schooling and on the job training and their CMA did not have college form of education. And the AAMA recognition is only for starting the organization for medical assistant,AAMA START OUT AS UNION. OLDER AAMC CERTIFICATION ARE NOT EDUCATED, AT LEAST NOT FROM COLLEGE. RECENT COLLEGE PROGRAM FOR CMA BY AAMA IS DUE TO AMT CHANLLEGE THE CREDENTIAL FOR KNOWLEDGE NOT EXPERIENCE.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Registered Certified Medical Assistant

Are You Working? not currently

I graduated from a Tech school. I just think it's crazy how some ppl tend to think that someone with both certs is better than one or bc they don't think they're expensive.

Modupe Sarratt. Nickname: Maria
The fact that AAMA is self proclaiming to be the best is because the truth outweight the fact that AMT IS BETTER AND COLLEGE EDUCATED. AAMA is vocational schooling and on the job training and their CMA did not have college form of education. And the AAMA recognition is only for starting the organization for medical assistant,AAMA START OUT AS UNION. OLDER AAMC CERTIFICATION ARE NOT EDUCATED, AT LEAST NOT FROM COLLEGE. RECENT COLLEGE PROGRAM FOR CMA BY AAMA IS DUE TO AMT CHANLLEGE THE CREDENTIAL FOR KNOWLEDGE NOT EXPERIENCE.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA/CPR-AED/FIRST AID

Are You Working? NO

BECCA
I graduated from a Tech school. I just think it's crazy how some ppl tend to think that someone with both certs is better than one or bc they don't think they're expensive.
Modupe Sarratt. Nickname: Maria

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Registered Certified Medical Assistant

Are You Working? not currently

I just saw on the American Registry of MA website that there is no difference between the two here's the link to what I read they will not let me copy and paste it in my reply on this website:

arma-cert.org/forum

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CNA

Are You Still In School? Starting MA Sept 30th 2009

Are You Working? No

I was told that RMA can practice in any state in the U.S. whereas Certified was good in only the state in which you were certified. School was 10 years ago- has it changed now?

Are You Working? yes

1 2