This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Im not sure what to do...

So I was offered a part time position 7-3 on a telemetry/med surg. floor a week ago today as a nursing assistant. The day before I interviewed at a cardiology office (really didnt plan on hearing back..decided to go at last minute..wasnt even going to go). I went for the heck of it..and I missed the ladys phone call yesterday called her back and left a voicemail...then missed her call today. She left a voicemail "regarding the position". This is for a medical assistant position which I graduated with an A.A.S. in December 2010. I really think she was calling to possibly offer me the position. Im surprised because she really didnt ask me that many questions..and like I said I really didnt count on it or try that much. I dont know the details pay etc. for the position...but do I call her back again? I dont know what to say if she offers me the position. I thought she said when I asked that she sends letters usually to the people she did not choose...and I havent received a letter. Do I say I was offered a position last week, (I mean I go for the physical the 10th and 23rd is orientation..so idk if its "official yet") and that if I can think about her offer (which I would need to know the details) and decide soon. The downside of the medical assistant position at the cardiology office is that its sort of far for me from my house (maybe 20 minutes with no traffic)...and I would be getting driven by my mother. Shes the one who told me to apply there..but shes funny like that and may say its too far now. It would be hard to catch a bus there I think also. Also the women mentioned that their hours are usually 8-5 but one doctor "thinks" that they start at 730 so I would probably have to be there at 730 which would be very hard for me. The hospital is only like 5 minutes if that driving. Im confused.

Re: Im not sure what to do...

Hi there, This one is easy! Stay with the one closest to your home. You need to develop a great bedside manner, and working as a Nursing Assistant is a great honor. It will give the training you need to move further on with your career or so down the road. Do some research on the computer about this Cardiology office and see what they have to offer...because you might not like that place, and with you being a brand new MA it might not workout for you. If you don't take the job with the Hospital; you might not be able to apply with company again. With all your post's in the past, you were and still unsure about a lot of things, and that's understandable. Think of it this way the job market right now is a doggy, dog world, and there are people out there would love to be in your shoes. I know you're the one that needs to make this decision...but if I could put in my two cents worth I would take the job that was offered to first, which is only right. Young lady I know in your heart you'll do what's right. Thank you for your post, and have a good day, good luck, Matt...

Your Professional Title/Credentials: NCMA, (NCCT), AS

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes.

Thanks! Yes, I was offered the position at the cardiology office. Its a big decision, possibly life altering! I need to decide by Friday !? Was never expecting this! At least I know I must of impressed someone lol! This is so nerve racking..I hate turning people down. Can I say to the Cardiology place if I decide to go with the hospital that at this time it would be difficult for me to make it there that early due to transportation issues, but to keep me in mind? I dont know if they would want me in the future after I turn them down..IF I do?! I dont want to make the WRONG decision!

Hi there, Yes! I must say that's quite the pickle you're in! The best advice I can give you go with your gut instinct...it won't stir you wrong. May I offer you some advice? When in doubt, ask in prayer and generally you will be given a sign as to what you should do. Is the job at the Cardiology office full time and do they offer insurance? I still think the Hospital would be the best place for you. Whatever direction you decide to take I will support you all the way, in a manor of speaking. If it helps talk to your parents about which job they would take. Good luck...keep us posted, Matt...

Are You Working? Yes.

Yes the Cardiology office is full time and there are benefits. The cheapest benefits are like $60 something every two weeks, however, you have to spend a bunch out of pocket, before the copays even start to kick in. Yes believe me I am praying for a sign so I know what to do! I think they probably would say the hospital, but one reason would be the distance. I tried to find out about the benefits at the hospital by calling the recruiter. She said I will find out Tuesday when I go for my physical (that helps..NOT). I think she was a little annoyed about the other job offer..buy hey, I was trying to look at my options. Its hard to compare the two completely without knowing the details. The women at the hospital was saying something about full time benefits are 80/20 and part time 90/10, but I wasnt sure what that meant. Also she said you have to wait 90 days to bid, however, if its from part time to full time you can do so right away. I wonder if thats true and if it would have to be on the same exact floor though? I just wish I had more information to go by.

Hello, The insurance thing will drive you crazy if you let it. I still believe you should take the job at the Hospital, because they did hire you first. You said the Cardiology office is a lot further away from your home, how you going to get there? If you are going to take that job at that Cardiology office, maybe your mom can drive you there and as you get to know people there; maybe you could work something out with someone there...it's just a thought. Take care, Matt...

Are You Working? Yes.

I am going to probably have to take the hospital job...(just feel silly and annoyed) because my mom insisted I go to the cardiology interview but now she pretty much wont take me. I was going to pay her of course, unlike some other people. Hope it works out though...I will !!!!!!!!!

Hello, It will just keep the faith...your mom is a smart woman. I know you'll do great. There will be Medical Assisting job's down the road. When the time comes you'll have more experience. Be one with force! Have a great week end, and tell your Mom Happy Mother's Day...Matt

Are You Working? Yes.