This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: MA dosage calculations?

Thank you very much, Nicole, for bringing the fact that some employers may give a pre-emplyment test in pharmacology calculations. I am sure many newbies seeking a job in this discipline are completely unaware. It's good to be prepared.

Nicole
I have an interview at 2:00pm today, and they told me they would be giving me a administrative test and a med math test. I am assuming med math means dosage calculations, right? I studied the dosage calculations that I learned in school but I have not even once had to dose a medication out, so I am extremely nervous about this test! Anyone had to take a "med math test" w/ a potential employer? Any ideas?

We want to remind all practicing medical assistants that medication errors refer to errors in the processes of ordering, transcribing, dispensing, administering, or monitoring medications, irrespective of the outcome (i.e., injury to the patient).

One example is an order written for amoxicillin without a route of administration. Other medication errors have a greater potential for patient harm and so are often designated as "serious medication errors" or "potential ADEs"—e.g., an order for amoxicillin in a patient with past anaphylaxis to penicillin.

I have set up a website for medical assistants needing to review medications, prescriptions, Roman numerals, abbreviations and calculations that typically take place in a medical office:

MA Pharm.com -- Pharmacology Review for Medical Assistants
http://www.mapharm.com/safety_guides.htm

We also want to remind medical assistants who call in prescription orders to a pharmacy, or approve prescription refills for a patient to do this ONLY upon approval from the doctor. Only call in orders that are logged in the patient's medical chart. Any prescriptions or refill orders completed and called in to the pharmacy should then also be annotated, dated and initialed by the medical assistant who made the call (you!).

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin