This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: No Respect as MA

To ggrace, I understand your frustrations but I have to remind you that as a medical assistant your job IS to make the providers life easier. When he calls you you have to respond, regardless of what you are doing. That doesn't mean you drop everything and jump. If you are in the middle of a blood draw, you can simply acknowledge that you will be there in just a moment. While doctors would prefer that you have two heads, ten hands, and at times two of you they know that this is not possible and have to give respect where respect is given. Don't stress, and don't harbor any ill feelings, because it will shine through, not only with your patients, and performance, but the doctory, who IS YOUR BOSS, will notice it, also. And don't make the mistake to think you are irreplacable just because you know how to do certain things the way the doctor likes it to be done. That is one of the biggest mistakes employees can make: is to think they cannot be replaced. People are literally standing in line for your job, so play it cool, be professional, and appreciate the opportunities given to you. However, if you feel the doctor is unreasonable and downright abusive, start looking elsewhere, but still, do an excellent job till you resign so that you get good references. It's a small world, reputation and word of mouth runs big.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin

Re: No Respect as MA

Thanks for the response. I do appreciate my job and thankful everyday for it. My pay is decent plus the doctors pay all of my insurance each month, which is not cheap. When I say the doctor yells at me, I know it's because he has been in the business for a long time and he is about to retire. I mentioned to him I was interested in learning phlebotomy and was going to go to school for it. Instead he told my to save my money and he would teach me. Right now it is the doctor who draws the blood. The doctors I work for don't let the MA's give injections or draw blood. I understand it probably has to do with the malpractice insurance. However I have been drawing the blood while the doctor is by my side. I just wanted to know how others felt. I do feel blessed and I will keep my mouth shut.. Thanks!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? yes