This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
change from LPN to MA ?

i just heard from staff at a local hosp. that , LPN programs are going to be done away with in the next few yrs & the lowest level of training in nursing schooling will be a Bachelors. recent personal changes in my life are REQUIRING me to go back to work, i've not worked as an LPN since the early 90's. no one will hire me b/c of lack of current jobs & training. so i was thinking of training for MA. i've been reading alot of the posts to get info so i can make a relatively informed decision. i will be 57 in july this yr.(2011). i also have a back issue that was found out last august. my chiropractor said after viewing the xrays that he doesnt think it should hinder me pursuing the MA schooling. concidering my back i was thinking MAA, but a post here says that they are being phased out. so i really need some input here. DanniR.....can you help me?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: LPN

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? i wish!

Re: change from LPN to MA ?

One of the MAs at my externship location was an LPN.

One of the MAs I currently work with was trained as an LPN, her license has lapsed and she calls herself an MA. She is currently studying to take the RMA exam.

With your current lack of work experience take anything you can get. Just 3 years ago my graduating class of MAs probably had 75% employment on graduation, the current class at the same school has maybe 25% according to a friend who graduated this month.

I'm not wishing to make this sound political, and don't want to start that here; the current job market is tight. Employers are offering lower pay, than in years past for starting wages, in my area. This is not a good commentary on our economy.

It has been said before here, consider any medical or related job if you want to reenter the job market, even temporary or volunteer positions. If nothing else, simply to bolster your resume and experience.

Good luck!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Are You Still In School? nope

Are You Working? yep

Re: change from LPN to MA ?

hey jeff, problem is, no one will hire me as an LPN b/c of the lack of CURRENT work exp. as an LPN. the only work i've done since the early 90's when i stopped working as an LPN is taking care of seniors, mentally & physically disabled, which is far from nursing work & exp. at my age (56) i figured to go to school for MA, would get my foot back in the medical field, learn some new skills & give me some exp. & money to live on. i've tried everything i can think of with no luck. i've done vol. work at a local hosp. but it was in the Medical Records dept. (alphabetizing test papers & ocationally making copies of a medical record.) i am continuing to learn on my own, (college library, studying anything that will help me get work &/or be ahead on info when i get to college for med. asst. i could never take an exam for med. asst. w/o the schooling, no one is hiring for a med. asst. with no proper schooling.
hey, if anyone has any ideas for me, i'd appreciate it immenselly!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: LPN

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? i wish!