This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: CMM4EVER

Hey everyone! Well its weird that you asked because something happened yesterday that might change things for me. Well yesterday was supossed to be my last day of training, but earlier in the week I asked if I could have a few more days. So next week I am supossed to be working Tuesday and the weekend. Well now Im not sure what is going to happen. Anyways some days were very overwhelming and had alot of patients. Im not sure how I feel completely about it. I mean its not my dream job. So what I mean when I say idk what is going to happen now is of what happened yesterday. This woman came up to me yesterday at work and was like can I talk to you. I thought I WAS IN TROUBLE. Anyways a few weeks ago I bidded (if thats a word), on a few positions for the heck of it..thinking I wouldnt hear anything. Well here I am trainig yesterday at work and she is talking to me about another position. I called her when I got home to talk more becasue I felt awkward at work. The position is for a unit clerk. It would be the same hours 7-3 part time. I have to double check, but I think it pays $2 something more an hour. Training would be 4 to 6+ weeks. Im not exactly sure what I would be doing. I told the woman I would let her know Monday. I mean the girl who was training me asked me if I talked to the women becasue she was looking for me. I told her yes and what she said. I told her idk and that I would feel bad. She goes like 3 times why not it more money. I dont know if anyone else heard. So Imnot sure whats going to happen. Im supossed to be finishing up a training next week (working tuesday, and saturday/sunday...supossed to be on my own sunday). So I told her Monday I would let her know. I mean I would like to talk to her more etc. I dont know what will happen with work next week. She said if I do accept that she will do the paperwork and that will notify my manager (awkward), and that they can let me stay for 30 days (dont think I would want to) or they would say they can have me now. I hope she doesnt tell my boss when I applied. I fel bad, but I never job hopped before. Its not like me, but I MAY NOT GET THIS OPPORTUNITY AGAIN! What are your opinions? Does anyone know anyone who was a unit clerk? Thanks!

Hi there, Well this is a good move for you. Now you will be able to use your front office skills that you learned in school. A unit clerk keeps the unit running smooth. They keep in touch with other units, like when a patient is transfered from one unit to your unit you make sure they have their paper work ready for when they arrive to your unit they answer incoming calls and route them where they need to go, and they also stay in touch with the lab for when someone needs a stat lab done. I will not go into great detail about this...but it can open many doors for you. You need to see when an opportunity comes your way you need to take it or else it might be along time before another one comes along. You have great potential, use your gifts to be the MA want to be it will pay off for you down the road. Take care...

Your Professional Title/Credentials: NCMA, (NCCT), AS

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

Hi, CMM4EVER, great to hear from you.
Matt already covered the "go for it part", so I don't need to repeat that. Saves me a little typing. I will, however, address the "I feel bad and akward" part of your post. I will keep it short. You will know what I mean. It doesn't take a lecture; just this:

There is NO NEED to feel bad, or akward, or embarassed, or obligated in any way. Employers know and understand that employees are always looking and listening around for better positions. It's almost expected. Now, don't mistake my no need to feel obligated statement for not being grateful. Of course you are grateful for the opportunity your present office has given you. They have invested training and time into you, however, in todays fast paced workforce, people come and go all the time. Of course, there are exceptions. Once you have bonded with your boss, staff and patients you may stay at a certain office for many, many years. Your boss will reward you with periodic small raises to show his/her appreciation to you. However, if you are offered a position that sounds good to you, don't be silly and decline simply because you feel akward. I think your boss understands if you express your appreciation and give them credit for providing you with this wonderful opportunity to move up and on so quickly. That's how it goes in the work-world. No need to feel bad...

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin

Thank you! Im pretty sure Im going to accept the position. I think I might say something like I am very interested in this opportunity/position, but would like to meet with you to talk more/be shown around etc. first. Danni this is a hospital if you didn't already know. The lady that came up to me was a manager from a different floor. My current manager didn't even interview me personally. I mean I've seen her here and there, but we didn't really build a relationship in the weeks that I was there. I don't know if I should tell her, or let the other manager take care of it. I'm not sure about working Tuesday/weekend now (or if theyll want me). Like I said before Friday was supposed to be my last day training, but I asked for a few more days (which would be Tuesday and Saturday, and then me alone Sunday). Thanks again and I hope things are/will continue to work for me for once! Wil lkeep you all updated. Wish me luck!

So after a frustrating morning at the doctors (canceled my appointment and claimed they left a message). Anyhow, I called the manager for the new position earlier before leaving, and she didnt answer. I called her a gain a few minutes ago, and I accepted the position lol So she is supposed to call my manager and tell her (afraid to know how that goes). The thing is my manager is barely there. I dont know what I should do for work this week. I dont think there is a sense of going and finishing up training or working Sunday by myself if Im changing positions. Hopefully she will let me know soon (today)!!!

Hello, That would be very stuipd on your part not to finish up where yhou have been training. It will take a while to transfer all your paper work over to your new unit. And you should not keep bothering that new manager, that you more likely will be working...they don't like to be bugged every 5 minutes she will get back to you in due time. You must learn to be patient, and things will come your way. Don't try to rush things...let nature take it's it course. Have a good day.

Are You Working? Yes

Yes, she said she would try to call my manager today, and see when she wants me to start over there. The thing is my manager is hardly around to get a hold of. I just think there is really no point going to work tomorrow, but Im probably going to have to. I just dont know if I should tell anyone. It is just awkward not knowing who knows or not. If the manager calls me in her office, I will not know what to say. I barely got to speak with her the whole time I was there. I really dont feel well now either, but I guess if noone calls to let me know whats going on then, I have to go tomorrow...not sure about the weekend.

I agree with Matt: YOU HAVE TO FINISH and be PATIENT. But more improtantly, you have to finish, or else your reputation will be shot. The medical community is thight knit and news tarevel fast. A lot is by word of mouth and recommendations. Your reputation will follow you. There is no alternative, don't give up, don't burn bridges, don't set yourself up for a negative review.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin

I will go tomorrow, and hopefully be told before the weekend what they want me to do. I am happy that for once it seems ( psst.. not to jinx myself)thatsome things at least are heading in the right direction. I am just hoping that eventually I can gain more hours or become fulltime. I would love to start saving more. That rate of pay sound like a pretty good amount for full time.

So I went to work (I still do not feel good). I didnt tell the girl I was with that I am switching positions. I was dreading running into the boss, but eventually did. I wasnt sure what to say, but she said she talked to the other manager but didnt say anything specifically. She said she understood and that if I change my mind let her know. Also that the girls would help me out since Im alone for the first time Sunday (doubt that) . I hope the manager didnt mention when I applied. So I was expecting for her to say today was my last day, but no. I guess 2 people now are out on leave. One I heard broke her arm at work Saturday. Now I work the weekend and am all alone Sunday...which Im not really looking forward to. I pray its not a horrible day. So now she said she might have to keep me on for 30 days, and asked me if that was alright, but like could I really of said no anyways. She said she will let me know my release date (hopefully soon). Im not sure when I should get into contact with my soon to be new manager to find out some more information. So thats what is happening as of now. SIGH.........

Hi there, You have to take the good with the bad...you will your good days and you'll have your bad days. Like I said in an eariler post, don't contact the other manager...she will call you when she's ready!!! Don't rush it, let nature take its course, or else you'll be jobless. If its busy this weekend do the best you can, and learn from it. You're a MA, now act like one. Even if hurts... Have a good day...

Are You Still In School? No.

Are You Working? Yes.

Hi. Thanks for asking. I am going to try and make some phone calls today, and hopefully get more figured out. I havent seen my boss so I dont have a definite answer for a start date. The email HR sent said anticipated July 31st. I really hope it is sooner than that! I REALLY tried to be positive Sunday when I was alone, but when I left I was not feeling that way at all! Also having personal/family issues that doesnt make it any better. Im really hoping this new position is the right fit for me and is a positive step to my future. I know I havent called the new manager, but I really would like to talk more with her. I barely got to speak with her prior. I dont even know the dress code etc. I dont feel like anything was really explained. The little time off flew by, and I really dont want to go in Thursday and Friday. So hopefully I find a bit more out by the end of the day.

Hi Christina, You are doing the right thing. Wait for her to call you, and when you start workking for her all things will be known to you. For the issues that you were talking about, your family and other things leave those things at home. When you're at work it should be work related only that way you can focus on your job. If you have other questions, feel free to ask. Have a good day.

Are You Still In School? No.

Are You Working? Yes.

Hey, just wanted to let anyone who was interested in knowing, that I start my new unit clerk position training August 2nd. I still wish I knew more about the duties etc., the boss insisted I come during my lunch...and I got to barely speak with her by the time she arrived. Im really crossing my fingers with this one! I really need something permanent and something I like. Cant wait to be done with my current position. Very long story, but had HORRIBLE day!!! Dont want to go back tomorrow or ever.

Start my unit clerk training tomorrow! Wish it werent at the end of summer, but hopefully this will be a good start to my future! Will post how it goes this week.

Hi Christina, I know you will do good. Enjoy your new position. It will help you your career as an Medical Assistant, by being stronger with your people, experience skills. Remember we all learn something new each and everyday. Good luck,
Matt

Are You Working? Yes

Today, I actually started doing some stuff. It is just so hard to read and interpret the doctors orders. Alot to remember on the computer. Otherwise it is going okay so far.

Hi Christina, Yeah! it can be hard to read a Doctor's handwriting. The good news is as time goes by the more better you'll be able to read it. You're on your way to being a really good Medical Assistant. If there is something you don't understand with anything while taining, stop and questions. That's how you learn, and grow. Thank you for staying in touch. You take care and have a great week.
Matt

Are You Working? Yes