This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What do Medical Office Assistants do?

I am thinking about applying at an online college (Penn Foster Career School) for Medical Office Assistant, but I have a few questions...

1. What exactly do Med Office Assistants do?
2. Is it a difficult job?
3. About how much money do they make?
4. Do you HAVE to be certified?
5. When looking for a job, what do you apply for? Med office assistant?
6. Where can you work? Can you work in a hospital?
7. Could I only do coding & billing?
8. Do you have to wear a uniform or scrubs?
9. Do you have to draw blood?
10. Any other tips or advice would be appreciated!

Re: What do Medical Office Assistants do?

You don't have to be certified, but if your goal is to work in a large regional medical center (often the ambulatory medical offices and specialties affiliated with local hospitals, such as, for example our large BayState Regional Medical Center, or Mercy Hospital, which has satellite offices and laboratories throughout the Western Massachusetts communities) then you should strongly consider getting certified, because that's what they want. You must understand, that while getting certified is not mandated by (most) states, it is the EMPLOYER who sets their standards and decides what qualifications they want (see main website: www.certmedassistant.com). Phlebotomy or limited x-ray training would also be a plus.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin