This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: RMA vs CMA-One better than the other?

RMA's are no better than CMA's.. I took every course you mentioned on the reply plus some. I see as long as you have been to an accredited school and sit through the exam, both CMA and RMA have done just as much work as the other.... IT IS THE SAME!!!! neither is better than the other. It is the in the descrepincy of the employer to decide if they want to hire one over the other.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

Know your facts. An RMA can be someone who only had "on the job experience", at least 5 years, no formal schooling, and took the exam through AMT. Go to the AMT web-site for a full explanation.

In my area of the US, RMA's are not hired because it is assumed you did not go to school to become certified.

An RMA or CMA is still an unlicensed health care worker. The end result an emplyoer wants is certification.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Certified Clinical Medical Assistant

Are You Still In School? Working towards BSN in nursing-graduate dec. 08

Are You Working? ER 5 years

I ran into the same problem with a position they stated that they preferred a CMA over an RMA and I don't know why I've take numerous classes to receive my A.S. in this field and to be down played because of the schools its crazy but now someone else hired me as an MA and I am pleased with the pay but to be honest I really dont think there is a difference. I shall say thou I took the exam for the RMA and my school told me I was eligible to take the CMA test and that it was recommended and if its for me to go into the same field with the same starting pay then why waste extra time and money.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CNA, NPT PHLEBOTOMIST, NONE CERT DIALYSIS TECH, and AMT RMA

Are You Still In School? YES

Are You Working? YES

I have read a few of the comments here, and I like others have been confused about the difference in the two, I moved here in June this year from N.Y. was working as a MA in New York and thought that I better be certified b4 I arrived here in NC, many of these company's make me feel as if my schooling is a waste of time. Yes I am certified in New York, but after taking and passing the medical ass., and Phleb. for NY state I payed my 90.00$ to sit for the National Cert. that I also passed, since being here all I am ever asked is are you thru the AAMA or the AMT. I think it's nonsense and so does my instructor after feeling as if I have no worth I called my instructor back in Manhattan and she said what difference does it make you CERT. after calling AAMA they said they could not help me, call AMT as if they are better. I called AMT and was sent an application to sit for there test and a test booklet that I had to pay 25.00$ for so I can sit for their test, I feel as if I should not have to sit for any other test when I just payed 90 for the test this past June can someone tell me what they feel about this matter.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA/Cert. Phlebotomist

Are You Working? Sometimes (Temp)

The CMA and RMA are both the same. RMA is through the AMT and The CMA is through AAMA. They are both equally the same. Only difference is that the CMA has been around longer and the RMA was more common on the West coast and has become more widely spread. You get the same pay with either. The CMA however, has its perks, because through the AAMA, you can get your CEU's through there catalogs, conventions and so forth. But being in school and deciding which one to take, I have learned that they are both equally as good, one is cheaper and shorter, but Doctors recognize both of them. I have even called doctors offices and ask what they prefer. Also, the RMA is offered every month or two, and the CMA is only offered twice a year and it costs more. I have been in school for a little over a year, and once I finish my internship I will be able to take either one, or both if I choose. So, you dont have to have different schooling for the CMA.

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? Intern

WOW, this is fascinating!! I have been working in the medical field for 21 years! I started out as a receptionist with no college education. My managers and supervisors always saw that I had more potential, and they trained me to be a "medical assistant". As the clinic grew, they offered classes to employees, such as, injections, medication administration and venipuncture. I have certificates of completion in all of these and have had extensive "hands on" experience in OB/GYN, Podiatry, Family Medicine and 10 years in Urgent Care. I recently left this company and moved out of state. I just went to an interview with a medical group that wants either a CMA or RMA, and even with all of my experience, I am concerned that I won't pass the RMA exam. I can tell you that when I left Urgent Care, I was training the back office staff, including LVN's and RN's, but is that enough? I know that I should have gone to school, but children and a lousy marriage were always in the way. Are there any RMA's out there that took the test without going to school that can give me some advice?
Thanks!!

Are You Working? yes

Re: RMA exam

I can send you the AMT RMA Preview Exam if you would like. It can give you an idea what type of questions are on the test.

the only difference is the name i have my RMA and i can still get a job in the field as long as you have some kind of certification that is ok.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Still In School? Grauduated

Are You Working? yes

LLC.......I would love to have the pre-test. Is there a website I can go to to get it?
Thanks!!

Are You Working? yes

Re: RMA preview

No, just email me and I will send you it.

I am A Male RMA and am very proud of my education
however, am unable to find work. I dont know if its because Im Male or My age Im 43.Im new in the medical field ive been teaching for 15 years prior to
retraining.Its frustrating that I went two years very excited about the training and my new degree and passing of my RMA exam that I worked so hard for and very few replies on the 200 resumes with cover letters. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Registered Medical Assistant

Are You Working? unemployed

There is a huge difference between the AAMA and the AMT! You do not have to go to school to be registered throught the AMT! All you need is 5 years "on the job training". That is why many employers will only hire CMA's over RMA's.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Radiologic Technologist/MA

Are You Still In School? NO

Are You Working? YES

Why not get both? the certs don't cost very much and if you are just starting out, the more certs and memberships to professional organizations you have, the better.

I think getting work as a medical assistant depends mostly on you, not where you went to school or what certifications you have. If you work hard, understood and competently perform the procedures you learned, have good attendance, and grasp the concept of professionalism, you'll be fine.

I'm the back office manager of a large free clinic. It's almost insulting when people come to interviews completely unaware of how to dress/behave. You need to be able to communicate clearly, neatly groomed, and wear conservative business attire, and have a copy of your resume (make sure there are no spelling errors on it). Above all, don't be late and don't be rude to the front office staff. So many people just don't get it. It's the attention to the small details that separate the employed from the unemployed.

I'm also more likely to hire someone with both certifications. It's not that expensive and it shows to me that you are willing to go the extra mile.

Don't discount volunteer experience if you can't find a good job. Call free clinics and the Veterans Administration. I got my start at the VA and the experience was invaluable. It sucked having to work for free and then still have to work for crap at wal-mart, but it paid off. I got my next job through one of the doctor's at the VA, his best friend was looking for a back office MA for his cardiology practice. Always try and network, you never know what kind of jobs it will lead to.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA, RMA, RPT, CPT

Are You Still In School? yes, PA school baby!

Are You Working? yes

I live and work in Florida. I graduated from a horrible school that I spent WAY too much money on. School is a waste of money and time if you have all that real experience!! I have been out of school for 6 years. I think a little review and you'll be ready to take the test. Keep in mind each state is differnt and I would make the same money if I went to school or on the job training or certified or not!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA, MHM

Are You Working? yes

Actually, they are both the same. Some places hire RMA where others hire CMA...doesn't make any sense, right? But it's true. And you can take both tests and be registered AND certified. But my advice would be to figure out what state you want to work in & find out which one that state or nearby surrounded states hire. That would be your best bet.

I am a clinical MA instructor in a Washington State Community College and have worked as an MA in the past. The RMA/CMA are now both electronic and 200 questions. The subject matter is the same, the testing protocol is the same. The credentials are interchangeable as far as most employers go here in Washington.

The nice thing about the AMT (who issues the RMA credential) is that if you are an instructor with a minimum of two years experience, either an RMA or CMA credential, three letters of recommendation and $25.00 annually, you can become a Certified Allied Health Instructor.

I think it is important to stop the dissent over whether the CMA or RMA is better and focus on getting our graduates to take and pass a national exam. Passing a national exam raises the awareness and appreciation of those who work with/hire our professionals.

Are You Still In School? Teaching

Are You Working? Yes

I happen to highly disagree with you. I think as well as many people I know, think that $90 for a certification test is expensive. It's really expensive when you can afford that $90 for one much less $180 for both tests. I think that is insane that you prefer to hire someone with RMA/CMA certs than a person with only one of the certs because you don't believe they don't cost that much. I just took my RMA a month ago, and out of a scale from 0-100 I got a 94-100. Now, you're saying you wouldn't hire me simply because I don't have my CMA as well?

Marisol
Why not get both? the certs don't cost very much and if you are just starting out, the more certs and memberships to professional organizations you have, the better.

I think getting work as a medical assistant depends mostly on you, not where you went to school or what certifications you have. If you work hard, understood and competently perform the procedures you learned, have good attendance, and grasp the concept of professionalism, you'll be fine.

I'm the back office manager of a large free clinic. It's almost insulting when people come to interviews completely unaware of how to dress/behave. You need to be able to communicate clearly, neatly groomed, and wear conservative business attire, and have a copy of your resume (make sure there are no spelling errors on it). Above all, don't be late and don't be rude to the front office staff. So many people just don't get it. It's the attention to the small details that separate the employed from the unemployed.

I'm also more likely to hire someone with both certifications. It's not that expensive and it shows to me that you are willing to go the extra mile.

Don't discount volunteer experience if you can't find a good job. Call free clinics and the Veterans Administration. I got my start at the VA and the experience was invaluable. It sucked having to work for free and then still have to work for crap at wal-mart, but it paid off. I got my next job through one of the doctor's at the VA, his best friend was looking for a back office MA for his cardiology practice. Always try and network, you never know what kind of jobs it will lead to.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA/CPR-AED/FIRST AID

Are You Still In School? NO

Are You Working? NO

I just saw on the American Registry of MA website that there is no difference between the two here's the link to what I read they will not let me copy and paste it in my reply on this website:

arma-cert.org/forum

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CNA

Are You Still In School? Starting MA Sept 30th 2009

Are You Working? No

I was told that RMA can practice in any state in the U.S. whereas Certified was good in only the state in which you were certified. School was 10 years ago- has it changed now?

Are You Working? yes

Brenda
I was told that RMA can practice in any state in the U.S. whereas Certified was good in only the state in which you were certified. School was 10 years ago- has it changed now?

CMAs can practice in ANY state. It is a NATIONAL certification!

Are You Still In School? Yes

WOW!!! I have read this forum for quite some time!! I am appalled at the amount of "misinformation" still being posted. i.e.: "RMA goes to college, CMA does not." "CMA is only recognized state wide, RMA is a national certificate" And on and on.

If you people really want to know the facts, you need to contact representatives of the state societies in the state in which you live. AMT has chapters in all 50 states, including the Caribbean. I am not sure which states do not have a AAMA chapter. I live in Oklahoma and there is no state chapter here for AAMA.

This whole controversy started over this: AAMA has the CMA designation (with capital letters) COPYRIGHTED. So this means that any other organization that wishes to "certify" ma's CANNOT use CMA with capital letters. Did'nt anyone read the comment I made about the lawsuit that AMT broght against AAMA a few years ago? It says essentially this: AAMA is the only organization that can use "Certified". All others can say their ma's are "certified". Look closely here: the only difference is the CAPITALIZATION. A medical assistant is a medical assistant, regardless of the type of "credential" they hold. But, there are slight differences in the organizations (AAMA, AMT, ARMA, AAMP) themselves. To certify through AAMA, you MUST have received your MA training from a formal school - a trade or vocational school, or a college. All the other organizations will allow you to sit for the exam if you have OJT (on job training). All 4 of these organizations I mentioned above are NATIONWIDE accepted. There may be some states that require a state certificate that may not be accepted in another state, but these 4 are good ANY WHERE!!Which credential is better???? Who knows. Which school is better??? Who knows. Some schools offer both administrative and clinical curriculum. Some schools offer one without you haveing to take the other. If you want to sit for the AAMA or AMT exam, you will have to have a basic knowledge of both administrative and clinical areas. For those of you who have "only" a phlebotomist" certificate, this will not be enough for you to become certified as a Medical Assistant. You will need some school or OJT to become a "certified" medical assistant. If you are RMA and wish to apply for a job that calls only for CMA, I suggest you contact AMT to obtain the letter that will inform employers that RMA is the same as CMA.
I guess this controversy will never end. If the MA's themselves out there are confused over the designation, how can you expect an office manager (who is more than likely neither) to know the difference.

Anyone who wishes, please contact me by e-mail. I am the secretary of the Oklahoma State Soceity of American Medical Technologists and I will be happy to help you with the credentials.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA, RPT

Are You Working? yes

Suzy, I am so glad you revisited this post and clarified a some of the biggest misconceptions to set the record straight. I couldn't have said it any better (as a matter of fact-I couldn't!).

Thank you so very much for your continued support. Danni.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Forum Owner/Website Admin

Suzy, I have copied your article to

http://medicalassistant.net/medical_assistant_certifying_agencies.htm

Please note: While your email address appears normal, it is actually cloaked to hide it from spam bots. If you do NOT want the article there, please contact me.

Thanks for helping me spread the word.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Forum Owner/Website Admin

Dear Danni,

Hey, COOL!

Just please make sure my typos are corrected. I noticed a couple of them AFTER I made the post.

This is fun!!!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA, RPT

Are You Working? yes

I just took the RMA test and miss by one point. Is the retake exam be the same as the first time? Also, do anyone have the practice test?

Are You Still In School? yes

Re: RMA exam

I am planning on taking both certifications. Can you fill me in on the RMA exam. If you could I would appreciate it. I am organizing a study group for four girls who want to take the exam.

Thanks

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA, RMA

Are You Still In School? Yes, on externship

Are You Working? externship

What state do you live and work in? I am in Florida and am just studying to take both the CMA and the RMA exams. Give me your input please.

Thanks

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA, RMA

Are You Still In School? Yes, on externship

Are You Working? externship

Write me at llc_rma@yahoo.com for the AMT RMA Preview Exam. I have had it on my computer for the past few years.
And this computer does not allow me to get at email addresses when I click on "Email" so you have to contact me.

Both credentials are recognized by the US Dept of Education, but most employers are only familiar with the CMA credential awarded by the AAMA. There are many organizations that will award credentials to medical assistants, but educating the employers as to which ones are reputable and provide a true measure of competency and knowledge assessment is the responsibility of the medical assistants working in the health care field. The AAMA is more proactive in promoting and supporting their members and happen to be better known in the healthcare field. Most employers think of the AMT (American Medical Technologists) as specific to medical technologists, not medical assistants.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA) PBT (ASCP) RMA RPT (AMT)

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

NO, things have not changed. The RMA credential awarded by AMT and the CMA credential awarded by AAMA are good in all 50 states. Too bad there are so many people out there who do not understand this one fact:

"CMA" is copyrighted by the AAMA. That is why all other organizations use the RMA credential. The tests are essentially the same and cover the same material.

The only other difference (and this is a difference in the ORGANIZATION, and NOT the CREDENTIAL: AMT will accept 5 years of experience to award the credential. AAMA will only award the credential if you sit for their test. Both tests of the AMT and AAMA cover the same material.

NEITHER the AMT nor the AAMA requires a degree of any kind.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA (AMT)

Are You Working? yes

There is essentially no difference, I have been an RMA for almost 26 years and have not had any issues finding work by being an RMA. I think that the AAMa caters more to the medical assistant than amt does since they include the labratory professionals as well.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA M.ed

Are You Working? yes

Getting "certified" or "registered" is voluntary. You can work as a MA if you have the training.

From what I understand, I went to a school that is not accredited thru AAMA, therefore I cannot be "CMA".(copyright)-- I can go to AMT and sit for RMA exam(which I'm studying for now) both tests are nationally recognized.

I went to school and work in one state and am preparing to move to Hawaii in a couple months. The jobs I've been searching for "prefer AAMA certified, but will consider Registered Medical Assistant". Others require a certain amount of work experience(excluding externship) to apply for the job.

I wanted to know if anyone has heard of CCMA-Certified Clinical Medical Assistant through National Healthcareers Association? This is another nationally recognized credential.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: About to sit for RMA Exam

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes as MA

It really does depend. Take me for example--I just finished a 5-day certification training program and two of the girls in my program were RMAs. But, the reason they were going through the program is because they wanted to be NATIONALLY certified as oppose to just for their particular state. Honestly, I think the most important think is to get a certification/license that you can use in as many places as possible because it gives you more flexibility and options. I went through Medical Career Specialists and got a "promise to hire" before I even finished my 5-day program! You can read more about what they do at their website: www(dot)MedicalCareerSpecialists(dot)

Tell them I sent you!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Certified Clinical Medical Assistant

Are You Working? yes

MA_MISSY
It really does depend. Take me for example--I just finished a 5-day certification training program and two of the girls in my program were RMAs. But, the reason they were going through the program is because they wanted to be NATIONALLY certified as oppose to just for their particular state. Honestly, I think the most important think is to get a certification/license that you can use in as many places as possible because it gives you more flexibility and options. I went through Medical Career Specialists and got a "promise to hire" before I even finished my 5-day program! You can read more about what they do at their website: www(dot)MedicalCareerSpecialists(dot)

Tell them I sent you!!

A note of caution from the Forum Admin:
The above is an non-approved posting of a website that we have not reviewed, nor sanctioned. We generally do not like to see website URLs posted without approval since we really do not know, nor have any control over who the poster is. It could be a student, recruiter, faculty of a school, or could be disguised link SPAM from the owner of the site, posing as a satisfied customer, or student. We just really don't know!!!!!

While we cannot prevent anyone from posting an unapproved link to a for profit website, we do frown upon it and monitor further behaviors. We are a respected forum and we have remained SPAM free for years - a rarely accomplished task only very few forums can pride themselves in. Anyone who SPAMs this forum, whether through obvious ads, or subliminal, disguised advertising will be banned. Furthermore, we caution our forum members and remind them to do thorough research before signing up for ANYTHING on the Web.

Danni R., Forum Admin

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin

Take the CMA (AAMA). why take both when the one covers all states??

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Are You Working? yes

I am in a CMA course. I am studying law/ethics, office procedures as well. True, microbiology is not in the curriculum, that is more lab work than anything (though, I plan on getting training later on for that). My degree plan includes comp and ret, algebra, computer science and college algebra (among other degree basics, which I have from previous college work). There are some differences in the instructional skills paths. But, really, I don't see any major differences between RMA and CMA credentials. Whichever way one decides to go, go for it. As long as you learn your job well, and remember that its the patients' well being that is the most important. Not the letters behind your name.

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no

Please take the time to read most of the posts in this forum. This question has been asked time and time again and there are some really good responses from a number of people without me having to reiterate the RMA vs CMA issue. I am not trying to be rude, but there is a lot in this forum about this topic and I just wish everyone would take some time and read the previous posts. You are missing a LOT of good information.
Yes, it is true that some places want only CMA certified by AAMA. However, please read the post about this issue if you are having difficulty acquiring a job that wants only AAMA certified personnel. You will be surprised and pleased with the answer.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA(AMT), CMA(AAMA)

Are You Working? yes

Ditto, Suzy, and very well said. I agree.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin

Which credential is better depends on which is more recognized in the area of the country in which you want to work. Too bad it's like that because it can make it difficult if you decide you want to move. They are both just entry level credentials, though, so if you move upgrading is an option.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA, CNA, CPhT

Are You Working? yes