This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
job seeking help

Help Needed!!! Here's the story... I graduated in May 2011 as a Medical Assistant, I took and passed the AAMA test in September, I have had several interviews (eight I think) but have not had any luck getting to a second interview or having any job offers. I admit at least three of the interviews did not go well due to either my being overly nervous or just not having enough real world experience to be able to get the job.
The last two job interviews I went on went really well, I was calm and there seemed to be a great back and forth(at least I thought so), I'm wondering if the fact that I have a full time job is hurting my chances at getting either a part time job or a full time job? Does anyone think a office manager would rather hire someone out of work rather than someone working? Any advice would be greatly appreciated...everyone just keeps saying hang in there and I'm trying, but it's really hard to do that. I'm extremely unhappy with my current job..but that's a whole other story altogether.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes but not in healthcare

Re: job seeking help

Joy, I was wondering if things have gotten better since you last posted.
I'm not yet employed as a med. asst. either. Been certifed for a few months now - I am 'hanging in there' and 'not giving up' - yet it is very discouraging. I currently work part-time in home health care, love the residents, but really would like to work clinical - and I cannot stand the agency I work for as they are very unprofessional. And it does not seem that having residential home care experience counts when looking to be employed as a CMA. Or, I just have not made the right connection... yet. I really do believe that a lot of the problem is with the school I attended - no support whatsoever - no hospital or clinic affiliation - and that is really a big detriment to finding employment - extern hours for most schools do not add up to what the physicians and/or hiring managers are looking for. I know everyone talks about volunteering to get experience - however, most of us need to make money while gaining experience, however ideal that may sound. Everyone says it's really your resume that sells you, well, I've had my resume revised, tweaked, upgraded, etc., and still not employed as CMA. As to the question, "Would a hiring manager rather hire someone out of work rather than someone who is already working?" Well, I think that depends on the hiring manager (so it's personal with each one you may interview with) - I've always heard they prefer someone who is working - I really don't think anyone knows the exact right answer - rather that it's as I stated above - the personal opinion of whomsoever the hiring manager is whom you interview with. When I first started looking for CMA work, I had been unemployed for some months (got laid off from the job I'm currently at - could not find work - they called me back to work and I accepted - but can't say I'm happy about it - as the agency basically runs on a 'whatever the client wants' system - which basically means, all of us employees of the agency could have more work if the agency ran professionally and not let itself be run by the clients they are serving (that may be hard to understand - but if anyone has any idea how 'home care' services work with the dept. of social services, then you may get somewhat of what I'm talking about) - so basically we, the employees, end up with very few hours of work time. I know that being of service to people is not ALL about money - but money is a motivator when you have a 'job.' Otherwise, you may as well volunteer. So are your chances better working full time, part-time or not at all - still waiting to find that out.
The only thing I know for sure at this point, is that I'm not giving up.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? ?