This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Certification vs degree

I am considering going into medical assisting. The problems i I have no idea if it really makes a difference if I go for a degree or just the certificate.

This is the program i'm looking at.
http://www2.cscc/academics/programs/mat/

other than lenght of time, almost twice as long for degree i dont see much of an advantage to it. I know I could finish my degree requirments once I get my certificate.

I know its a good school, I know its not one of those everest clones. Just trying to figure out if its worth the extra time money to get the degree.

Also any advice as to what jobs are good experience before you start looking for an MA position? Just started as a pharmacy tech but it might not last long due to lack of hours, I have some experince as a nurses assistant and a phlebotomist.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Phlebotomist

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes as a pharmacy tech

Re: Certification vs degree

Prospective medical assistant students often ask: "Is it better to have a medical assistant degree or is a medical assistant diploma good enough?"

http://medicalassistantnet.blogspot.com/2006/06/medical-assistant-diploma-vs-degree.html

From my experience, and many seasoned medical assistants agree, a medical assistant degree is not necessarily the key to better pay or faster promotions. Reality is, most doctors and practicing health care providers don't care whether their medical assistant has a degree or diploma. Their main concern is to have a medical assistant that can do the job well and pay only as much as they have to in wages.

If a medical assistant with a diploma can do the same job as their counterpart with a degree that's good enough for the doctor, however, a medical assistant with an associates degree in medical assisting has the advantage when it comes to academics and continued studies. Some of the earned college credits can be transferred and applied toward a higher or different degree, such as, for example nursing (RN) and THAT is where the time and money spent on the medical assistant degree will be well worth it!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin