This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Health insurance and other benefits with MA jobs?

I apologize if this question has been asked and answered, but I'm wondering if health insurance is provided as a benefit for the majority of MA jobs--that is, in doctors' private practice offices? Hospitals and large clinics do have great benefits, but my research shows only 11% of MA's are employed by them. About 65% of MA's are hired by small offices. Anyone know what these private practice docs provide by way of benefits? Thanks, all! This forum is a great resource.

Abby

Re: Health insurance and other benefits with MA jobs?

Hi there, It just depends on where you work, and the practice itself. They might offer insurance or not. It is quite exspenceive, and not all small clinics can afford it. Your best bet would be to get your own insurance. I hope that helped.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: NCMA, (NCCT), AS

Are You Still In School? No.

Are You Working? Yes.

Matt is right, it depends.

Where I work, I'm "on call." I get some benefits. The other on call there doesn't. So it may depend on the hours you work as well as practice size and affiliations.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Are You Still In School? nope

Are You Working? yep

From my research, it seems about 60% of MA's work in private doctors' offices. I'll bet many of them, being small businesses, don't offer health insurance. Only about 11% work in hospitals, where only fulltime work brings benefits I imagine.

So, if my goal were benefits for me and my children, I should aim for large clinics or hospitals fulltime? How easy are those jobs to get?

I did interview with a podiatrist, she didn't use insurance. Her partner, did need at least one other person in the practice to create a group. I didn't need the insurance, I didn't get the job. A classmate, who also applied for the same job, got it. I was told by the doc, I didn't get the job because I didn't need the insurance and that was the deciding factor between Megan and myself.

Don't write off the small practice.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Are You Still In School? nope

Are You Working? yep

Jeff,

Good point! Thanks for the advice!

Abby

The very busy single physician office and the larger group physician offices I worked in did NOT provide any healthcare packages/benefit. Their unwritten understanding of healthcare benefit was that if you had the sniffles or a splinter under your toe nail you'd ask the doctor you work for if he/she could do you a favor and check your throat, or the nail for you or your child, and they usually say okay, come in early and I will do it. If it was something they could take care of, they would, including a prescription or samples and a few days off from work, if necessary (no doctor's slip needed). LOL.

I wonder how many doctors/medical offices still handle it this way.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin

Danni,

Good heavens. That doesn't pass for health care insurance in my book. Especially when a family member (or two or three) has a chronic illness and/or requires hospitalization for acute care.

Doctors can afford to purchase their own health insurance policies but MA staff with family often cannot. Perhaps the MA's in their 20's and early 30's don't care about health insurance, but it's a must for the rest of us.

Okay, so.. are there MA's in their 40's and 50's?? What do they do?

Abby

Hi Abby, You have a misunderstanding about the Physician and Medical Assistant concept. First of all, say you work for a physician and if he was to see you as patient or one of your family members, with the insurance that you have. You would have to pay a co payment, and than you would have to pay for any labs that may be done, and the Doctors time, and services rendered and of course if there are any supplies that might be used, and of course there might be x-rays involved. All together that could easily run you about $350.00 and up. Now getting back to the Doctor treating you at no charge is a little perk for a small practice. This is one of the reasons we get into medicine in the first place is to help each other, and other people as well. It will help you build a bond with your Doctor that you are working with, you'll really get to know each other well, and when you're treated right by him or her and you go and tell your family and friends about how good or bad he or she treated you. Word gets around, and that can make or break a Doctors practice, and in these times not all of us have the money on hand to pay to be seen as with mostly all practices now a days they want you to pay in advance. This practice;(One good turn for another turn) has been going on since there have been Doctors. I'm very thankful for any little help I can get along the way. If you have compassion for others then you'll be a great MA. I hope this has helped.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: NCMA, (NCCT), AS

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes