This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MA Internship

Hi all, I have finished my in class work and I am set to start clinicals. I will be doing clinicals in a dialysis center. I am very nervous b/c I was told during my interview with the clinic that I would learn to administer IV's. I was told this is something that nurses do. Was I misinformed, and is it ok for a MA student to do this? Also, wondering if anyone else has done clinicals in a dialysis clininc? If so, what did they teach you and did/do you like it?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA Student

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No

Re: MA Internship

My DW is an RN and works in a dialysis center. The techs do insert the lines in fistulas at some centers. My DW currently works with an RN, who is an experienced dialysis RN, and has not done much "sticking" folks, because the techs did it where she worked before.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Are You Still In School? nope

Are You Working? yep

Re: MA Internship

Whenever unsure about what medical assistants can do in the state that they are in, contact your board of Medical Examiners/State Board of Medicine, because they regualate the practice of medicine for the state. While you are under the employ of a supervising physician, and MUST be properly instructed and taught (e.g. a certain number of successful venipuncutres shown, taught, and recorded) you are also expected to be responsible for your own actions and know your state laws. You can easily find your state Medical Board/Board of Medical Examiners by using your search engine by adding your State + Board of Medical Examiners or Medical Board. Then search their website for "medical assistant" rules and legislation. If nothing comes up, just call them or email them and state what you want to know. Rules on starting or removing IV lines differ from state to state, just because it was taught in class does NOT always mean it is allowed. It is, after all, considered an invasive procedure.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin