This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
SCAM!!!

I am a recent medical assistant graduate from North-West COllege. with no experience

My school, (NORTH-WEST COLLEGE, WEST COVINA) informed me and other students about an interview for medical assistants.
weird thing was: it was like a "casting call"
i show up with my aunt who also attended n.w, and we're in a room with about 15 other people! We filled out an application, they took our PICTURE, and the actual interview with this man JOHN RODRIGUEZ was not even 3 minutes long. He told me that i would be traveling with the doctor to convalescent homeS to assist the doctor with exams.... ???????
the next day he called me in for a second interview, same location, same interviewer, same info!
fortunately i had a friend who went to the same interview and we both got different info from these people. at this point im really ify and it seems fishy.
the following day, which is today, the "doctor" called me (from a BLOCKED number) and said he was following up for a THIRD interview. to meet at the CALIFORNIA HOSPITAL IN DOWNTOWN LA in the CAFETERIA! i had to ask for a callback # and his name and position. he told me his name was DR. SHAMTUB, PODIATRIST. he seemed persistant to find out if i was going to show up or not. i called my friend who also got a 3rd interview, he told her the same info.

i tried looking up the company that had conducted these "INTERVIEWS" -E.B. PROFESSIONALS and i did not find a legit website, it said they were an accounting service and medical billing service.

I DID NOT GO TO THE INTERVIEW TODAY. I WENT TO MY SCHOOL TO LET THEM KNOW WHERE THEY WERE SENDING THEIR STUDENTS TO. AND WE DID NOT FIND A LICENSED DR SHAMTUB.

THE FIRST THING I THOUGHT WAS EITHER SCAM OR THESE PEOPLE ARE NOT LEGIT AND TRYING TO HURT ONE OF US. I MEAN, MEDICAL ASSISTANTS=WOMEN .. WOMEN=EASY TARGETS FOR SEXUAL ASSUALT, KIDNAPPING, ETC ETC.

i am only 20 years old and new to job searching but this does not seem right.

MAYBE IM BEING PARANOID AND BLOWING THIS OUT OF PORPORTION BUT WHAT WOULD YOU THINK? with the details i have given you. i would like any feedback.

PLEASE!!! BECAUSE IF I AM ASSUMING CORRECT THEN I WANT TO TAKE LEGAL ACTION, FOR THE SAFETY OF MYSELF AND OTHERS. I WANT PEOPLE TO BE AWARE OF THINGS LIKE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE AND THANK YOU

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Medical Assistant

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? no :(

Re: SCAM!!!

Yep, that has scam all over it.

I found one of those on Craigslist, it seemed legit, then it got shady. I'm thinking they were mining information not interviewing for jobs.

Basically, if they aren't willing to say we are representing clinic x or doctor y they are a scam. Even when appalling at a clinic I know well, I have looked up the doc's on the state board of medical examiners website to ensure they have had no malpractice accusations or other actions.

If you are right about them looking for young women. Half my class would have been eliminated due to age and I would have been eliminated for gender bias.

Yes, the market can be tight and you might have to be creative to get hired... not an excuse for not checking prospective employers as well or better than they will check you. We have a real private practice doctor near here who puts out a request for new MAs every 3-9 months. I've never met anyone who worked for him, this makes me think he is not looking for experienced, registered/certified or trained MAs. He also has a turnover rate from hell, not cool.

I wish you luck, too bad your college doesn't check things out a little better. Is this something you could have found by interviewing graduates?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Are You Still In School? nope

Are You Working? yep

Re: SCAM!!!

LC and Jefff, great post and feedback. You both probably know by now how I feel about specific schools named and assertions of SCAM, but this is a completely different case scenario and LC is not pointing the finger at the school. I have NEVER heard of this kind of a scam/ or scheme (thank you Jefff for explaining) and I will definitely make sure this post stays here. It sounds as if this is indeed potentially dangerous and shady, and I bet the school really appreciated LC reporting it to them. I'd expect the school stands behind you (LC) and their student body in a situation like this.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin