This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How do instructors grade on venipunctures?

Hi

I am new to this forum and interested in furthering my education as a Medical Assistant. I am currently in school studying Medical Office Administration. I love clerical work in the medical field, but would like to have direct patient care and perform lab procedures. Although I am a little shy, I love to help people. I don't believe that I will have a problem with giving injections or finger ******* but the thought of going into someone's veins scares me. Shouldn't only nurses who are license be allowed to do venipunctures? How do instructors grade their students if mistakes are made? Any input would really help me decide if I should go into this field.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Medical Office Administration

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no

Re: How do instructors grade on venipunctures?

You asked several questions.

I'm going to answer the one in the subject line.

Technique counts, not if you strike oil or in this case blood. Though it doesn't hurt to show you can do it even on a hard draw.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Are You Still In School? nope

Are You Working? yep

Re: How do instructors grade on venipunctures?

Thanks for responding Jeff. If I decide to pursue this career, I will try. I just don't want to hurt not only a student, but patients as well. I have heard that medical assistant could be held responsible if any mistakes are made with patient care, especially since medical assistants are NOT licensed.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Medical Office Administration

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no