This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Doctors Who Stress Out - Or Worse - Lie To The Patient

Who here would agree that the statement made in the below referenced news article from the CNN website that the doctor-patient relationship is a complex one, is true? Also, has anyone here ever been aware that the doctor they worked for was stressing out, or even worse, lied to patients about their condition to lessen the blow?

I do agree, visits to the doctor's office and dealing with people who have special needs and sick can be stressful. Certain medical offices are busier than others by nature, depending on their specialty focus, and certain seasons, like the cold and flu season, or allergy season can leave both, the patient and the doctor flustered, hoping for better days.

This is where the doctor's medical office staff can make a big difference. Medical assistants are in an excellent position to alleviate and ease some of these stresses and frustrations. As a matter of fact, the medical assistant is sometimes the ONLY person who can make the doctor's life easier, and put patients at ease BEFORE they even are seen by the doctor in the examination room.

Doctors generally agree that they depend heavily on their medical assistant's knowledge and skills. Medical assistants are the first line representative and "point of service" of their practice, and are the friendly smile and gentle touch as patients come and go. A friendly "hello, how are you" can go a long way, along with a gentle reminder discretely passed to the doctor that he/she is starting to fall behind schedule.

As far as difficult situations, no one wants to be the bearer of bad news, and doctors are just as human as their patients. To tell a mother her child has a serious disease is never easy. This is where excellent interpersonal communication and true empathy by the doctor, as well as the entire medical assisting staff will make a world of a difference and the doctor's job easier.

THIS IS THE REFERENCED ARTICLE:
Dishonest doctors: Why physicians lie - CNN.com
The doctor-patient relationship is a complex one.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/11/health/dishonest-doctors-survey-brawley/index.html

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin

Re: Doctors Who Stress Out - Or Worse - Lie To The Patient

My doc is very often asked to testify in court cases.

Knowing how aware he is of the consequences of failing to do the right thing, I would hope he isn't one of those who would not be entirely truthful. I have seen him own up to our mistakes in front of patients; after all, if they can't trust him to be truthful why should they trust him with their lives.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Are You Still In School? nope

Are You Working? yep

Re: Doctors Who Stress Out - Or Worse - Lie To The Patient

Jefff, you are right. I am pleased that you used the term "not entirely truthful" since the term "lie" is a quite strong word (the author on the CNN website used the word in his article title), and I am also glad to read that your employer, the doctor, had to own up from time to time to his employees (e.g. medical assistant's) oversights, or mistakes, mostly because I am proud to say, so did mine. And while it can be difficult to be "brutally honest", e.g. when you tell a mother her infant has a life threatening illness, it certainly is appropriate to give all information in a caring and empathetic/sympathetic manner and handle delicate issues with tact.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Forum Admin/Website Owner