This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
federal/state specific resources

I have an assignment due that requires me to pretend that I am an office manager in a hospital or health services office. Part of the assignment is for me to create a list of state (NY) specific resources related to coding, reimbursement, and third party payers. I have found information on medicaid, medicare, and managed care but I need some more help. Does anyone have any assistance they can give me as far as coding and reimbursement resources in NY state?
Thanks,

Your Professional Title/Credentials: student

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

Re: federal/state specific resources

Coding shouldn't change from state to state, think fraud.

Reimbursement: allowable reimbursement for a procedure or service may differ based on the area. It may cost more or less upstate, or in a rural area, than downtown. It is supposed to be based on what similar practices in the area charge.

I live and work in a rural area, not NY, what we are allowed to be reimbursed for is based on the average for the area. If all practices report added costs for procedure X (and fuel surcharges) the average raises, though I'm sure it is not that simple.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Are You Still In School? nope

Are You Working? yep