This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Patient compliance

Okay, HUGE deal to me. We have a patient that has smoked pot in the office bathroom TWICE now. I have told the doctor and she shrugged it off. We called the PCP and I dictated in the pt chart. Should I overstep the doctor and report him to the police? I don't feel that our staff, nor our other patients should be subjected to this. The doctor will not talk to the patient, but honestly it ticks me off! He only does it when he is checking out. I can not fathom why he does not do it outside of the office.

WHAT DO I DO? (Keep it ethical please)

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

Re: Patient compliance

Hi! I hear you, where you say, big deal to you. I don't want to downplay it, nor brush you off, nor spur you on in your ambitions and anger, because I am not there and I know only part of the story, but again, I hear you. Perhaps, if I were in your shoes I would feel exactly the same, and may be would also wish to do something. On the other hand I have to ask myself some questions, and I am sure they have all gone through your own head...

1. Why is the doctor tolerating it?
2. Should I step up and go over the doctor's head?
3. Do I know the entire story behind this?
4. Who is this patient affecting, aside from me and himself?
5. How bad do I want to keep this job and not burn bridges?

The latter is a bit iffy. It all depends on the previous answers. Perhaps you are in a State where marijuana is legal (for medicinal purposes?). Is the doctor turning a blind eye for a reason? Those are questions that need to be cleared up before you proceed, so that you can proceed with a clear conscience, being willing to take on the challenges and all consequences.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/429886_10150586613107362_569547361_8886935_871343429_n.jpg

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin

I have tried to respond to this post several times. Each time I bag the effort.

IMO, this one of the stupidest prohibition laws on the books. I'm thinking the provider I work for most of the time feels that way too. The management of clinic we work for has a policy of not issuing the MM cards, and we honor that policy.

As for some mental midget torching up in the can, and the doctor not willing to say something... have you ever heard "respondeat superior."

If you have reported it to the doctor, clinic administrator and your immediate supervisor... shine on.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Are You Still In School? nope

Are You Working? yep

I don't know what "issuing MM cards" is... may be I can google that expression. I've just never heard of it and am not sure what to make of it. LOL (forgive me!)
Danni

jeff
I have tried to respond to this post several times. Each time I bag the effort.

IMO, this one of the stupidest prohibition laws on the books. I'm thinking the provider I work for most of the time feels that way too. The management of clinic we work for has a policy of not issuing the MM cards, and we honor that policy.

As for some mental midget torching up in the can, and the doctor not willing to say something... have you ever heard "respondeat superior."

If you have reported it to the doctor, clinic administrator and your immediate supervisor... shine on.

We have medical marijuana cards here; assuming you can get a doctor to say smoking anything is good for you, they are not supposed to use the federal laws to pop cancer pts. and others who qualify for the cards.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Are You Still In School? nope

Are You Working? yep

I have done my research with the patients PCP. The patient does NOT have a MMC (Medical Marijuana Card).

Regardless if the patient does or does not have a MMC, they should NEVER smoke it in a medical facility surrounding other patients. MMC holders have VERY strict guidelines to follow or they risk losing the benefit.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

Aha! Thank you. I realize, after being so many years out of the field, this is where I am no longer up to the latest. MM cards were not an issue back then, nor even issued, as far as I know. Not in my offices, anyway.