This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
entry-level pay for MAs

I live in west haven and currently attending stone academy. I'm wondering because there will be so many of us going out looking for work, will it be hard for us and what is the entry-level pay is in west haven, ct. and whats better a private pratice or a hospital?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: student/MA

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No

Re: entry-level pay for MAs

I'm not going to answer any of your questions. I can't answer specific questions about your area. I'm pretty good at generalizing.

There are going to be a bunch of folks looking for work. In my state there are 5.8 people average looking for every position available, that is an average not the number of MAs looking for MA positions.

There are always going to be folks moving on. Looking for the greener grass and for reason x or y leaving the practice to do something. We currently have someone who is wanting to spend more time with their children. There is going to be turnover everywhere.

Hospitals, for the most part, do not hire MAs. They do tend to have clinics attached who do.

Good luck. I'm hoping I haven't come off like a troll.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Are You Still In School? nope

Are You Working? yep

That is true, Jefff, we really and truly CAN'T give SPECIFIC answers about salaries for several reasons here. There are way to many variables that we don't know, and influence income, and really, in the end, we don't want to get into a dispute where someone might say:"...but the medical assistant forum experts said this-and-this, and now I feel misled!" We are in no position what so ever to know every school there is, every state law, rules, and regulation on the books, and let alone, know what is in every potential employer's head, wallet, and expectations. We can guide, and share our own experiences, that's just about it. I was hired at $11.50 and worked my way up to $15.50 per hour in Western Massachusetts 10 years ago.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin

Hospitals don't hire MA's? Really? I ask because that's where I want to work.

Thanks,
Raymond

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA Student

Are You Working? Yes

minimum wage in many places

I live in California, and I happen to know some MAs that work at hospitals...but sometimes you are required is to be certified as well...so I have no idea about other states but in California you can work as an MA..

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Medical Assistant

Are You Working? No

I would like to shed some light on the hospital situation for MA's. I myself have been working in a hospital for the past year. I graduated from MA school in 2009. I worked for a pediatric neurologist for a year or so where I gained valuable experience not only in the MA field but in the Neurology field. I applied to the pediatric hospital here in Orlando as a Neuromonitor tech and was offered the position.
Once I started at the hospital, My dept manager had asked me if I would like to cross train over to a clinical tech. Get some extra hours and help out the floor when they are short. This basically is an MA in the hospital. You take all vitals and assist nurses with any procedures. This proved to be the best move for me as I will be starting EKG classes with a possible eye on joining our step down trauma unit if I graduate successfully.
The point here is that if the hospital is where you desire to work, then go for it. Check out the career section of the hospitals website under allied health. You will be surprised how many positions you just might be qualified for.
Someone mentioned that MA's get hired at clinics that are attached to the hospital. Very true. Apply for those positions as well. That will get you into the door. You will have inside track on opportunties at the hospital where you can apply for. From there you will be able to expand and grow.
I wish you luck!!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: eeg tech/ma

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

Hi Russb,

Your work experience sounds very interesting and similiar to what I think I would like to do when I graduate. I am currently enrolled in a MA program in Winter Park, FL and will hopefully finish in September or October 2012. I need to find an extern site & begin in August. Any suggestions or advice on how to get my foot in the door at the pediatric hospital here in Orlando that you mentioned ? Is that hospital Arnold Palmer or Neumour's ?
Anything you can offer up is greatly appreciated. Thanks !

Are You Working? No

Swhitley,

Nemours and Arnold Palmer are both for peds. I seen several openings for Medical Assistants with Nemours, the positions were in specialty offices associated with the hospital.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

Hi Swhitley,

Good to hear from someone close by. In answer to your question, yes, Arnold Palmer Hospital is who I was referring to. I know Arnold Palmer doesn't except externships. I can recommend a Peds urgent care center that I work at part-time. They are always bringing on students to extern. You will get fantastic experience at all aspects of what an MA does. The name of the urgent care ctr is Night Lite Pediatric care center. Just either call the downtown location or pay a visit. Ask for Jessica. She handles all externships. If you are starting your externship in August, then now is the best time to contact her. They have students booked for externships close to 3 months in advance. Good luck!!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA/Neurotech

Are You Working? yes

Hi Swhitley,

Good to hear from someone close by. In answer to your question, yes, Arnold Palmer Hospital is who I was referring to. I know Arnold Palmer doesn't accept externships. I can recommend a Peds urgent care center that I work at part-time. They are always bringing on students to extern. You will get fantastic experience at all aspects of what an MA does. The name of the urgent care ctr is Night Lite Pediatric care center. Just either call the downtown location or pay a visit. Ask for Jessica. She handles all externships. If you are starting your externship in August, then now is the best time to contact her. They have students booked for externships close to 3 months in advance. Good luck!!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA/Neurotech

Are You Working? yes

minimum wage is about right, really how hard is the job? bp/ vitals and blood draws bring the pt back to the room how much traing do u really need? i think even min wage is a little much I can hire off the street instead of the morgage farm of schools out there and train myself. girls are happy to not have student loans going into this and its a foot in the door, it is N0T worth 10-12 hr not trying to be a jerk its just FACT!!!
And we only hire females its NOT illegal b4 someone says it is because we are a clinic that sees mostly female pts, its a job requirement to be female

Dawn, I have to be blunt and straigh forward, but from your post I get the impression you are completely unaware of what a medical assistant is and does and ignorant of the value a skilled medical assistant adds to a medical practice, or other places, where ever they work. Thousands of doctors and licensed healthcare practitioners agree that they could not practice without their medical assistants. The medical assistant is the first and last person a patient sees as they come and go for their appointment, and are first-point-of-contact (a business term!) and source of information. Excellent interpersonal communication, customer services, along with administrative and clinical duties that range from simple to complex are in their "repertoire" of daily duties. Your post, for the most part, is nonsense.

RussB,

Hi, I know it's been quite some time since you posted a reply to me. Thanks for the great info. I finally got the green light to officially seek out an externship site but based on school rules & my current situation I can not work past certain hours so, "ideally", I need to find a M-F daytime site. I have been knocking on quite a few doors, calling, etc. and no luck so far :(

Any other suggestions?

Thanks !

Your Professional Title/Credentials: student

Are You Working? No

between the Doctor and Medical Assistant, if they agree to minimum wage what is the problem?