This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
uncertified medical assistants

I am an LVN/nurse manager at my clinic. My higher ups have hired a non certified medical assistant to work under my license. I am conserned. What is she aloud to do legally. I am in Texas....reguarding injections, vaccines, lab work, vitals ect. I read other places that as long as she finished school she can do all of these which is crazy to me. There were many of us that finished Nursing School but not everyone passed boards. It doesn't seem right! I am worried about my license and I can tell that her knowledge base is very slim in the medical field. Please refer me to a site that will spell this out for me so that I can feel better about this and have something to present to my employers. I have a meeting with them next week about this. Thank You for your help!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: LVN

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

Re: uncertified medical assistants

With all due respect, I do get equally "bad vibes" from reading this post alone, but on a different notion. I would suggest that you leave the hiring and firing to your "higher ups" which I assume is the supervising physician, carry out your own duties to the best of our knowlege and skills as a LVN, reach out to others who look up to you as a mentor and leader, stick to the office's employee handbook and role deliniation, and if you have any additional concerns bring them to the table during staff meetings. I can tell you this much, the regulating and governing body over physicians in Texas is the Texas Medical Board.

www.tmb.state.tx.us/

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin

Re: uncertified medical assistants

Danni R. is right on.

Your license has nothing to do with an uncertified medical assistants scope of practice, it is all on the provider you are working with. MAs come from the physicians not the state board of nursing, even if you are the direct supervisor.

My boss is an RN, my right to practice comes from the providers I am assigned to work for not the state board of nursing. Thank god.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Are You Still In School? nope

Are You Working? yep