This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Medical Assistant path

I graduated in Dec 2010 with an A.A.S, in medical assisting. I am certified. I have been working at a local hospital next month would be a year. I was an aide for a short time,I currenlty am an unit clerk (since August). My pay is not bad now ($14.29) just that I need full time. So I have been looking on the Catholic Health website for full time jobs. I recently applied to a doctors office within the company (only thing is its non union...not sure why some facilities are and otheres arent). The pay rate is $13.42. I dont know since its not union how raises would be or if they would consider me to have "experience" and start me off higher or not. To make it more interesting Friday I found out that I pretty much lost my current position because someone "bumped" me. Probably becasue the contract weends in June. I guess they are supossed to offer you some type of job..but you dont get much time to make a decision. The meeting was supossed to be today but of course it didnt work out that way. By the way I interview THURSDAY for the ma job. Funny thing I interviewed there b4 for an pt ma position. Im hoping something good comes out of this. By the way what pay $$$$$ did you start out at? Have to try to practice vitals dont feel too confident (lack of training in school). Not sure if its for front office, back or both.

Re: Medical Assistant path

Hi there, So are you saying you lost your job? I started at $9.00 and now I make make make $14.84 an hour at one job, and $15.25 at the other. I don't know what the rate is in New York. The job you're applying for offers you a full time job you should take it. The market is tough right now for MA's. Whatever MA job that might come your way, weather it be front or back, do your best and learn as you go. Go with your head held high. Good luck...

Your Professional Title/Credentials: NCMA, (NCCT), AS

Are You Still In School? No.

Are You Working? Yes.

Yes I am being "bumped" from my position,..im not sure who else is in the hopital. I assume its to do with the union contracting ending in June. Everything was supossed to be taken care of Monday but that never happened (I was told becasue the union person couldnt make it). So I was told they wanted me to take a test for a pharmacy tech position I believe (I did that today on my day "off"). I did pass. So tomorrow they are supossed to have my options on paper..Im guessing the pharmacy tech job and maybe one other. Too bad I think they can only offer you part time if you were part time. I am also going on an MA interview tomorrow!!!!!!!!! Still trying to prepare for that, my work has had me stressing out and doing all this stuff when I m supossed to be off. MY QUESTION is though: Do I bring it up at the interview at all that Im being laid off? Even though there supossed to offer you some kind of job. Or do I not say anything?

Hi there, I wouldn't say anything about being laid off, or that you might get a different position. If you tell them this it will reflect in negative way. See what the Hospital has to offer you, and still go to your interview. The best of luck to you.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: NCMA, (NCCT), AS

Are You Still In School? No.

Are You Working? Yes.