This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Project help!

Hello, I am doing a career research project for a class in which I had to pick a career that I am interested in, a tool that is commonly used in that trade and interview someone in that profession on the tool; my tool is the scalpel. So, if someone could answer these questions it would be much appreciated:

What is the best brand of scalpels?
How could they be improved?
How many different blades do you use?
How much of a difference is there between a regular scalpel and a laser one?

Thank you soooo much.(:

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Student

Re: Project help!

As far as the best brand of scalpel, it depends on the doctor's preference. There are 2 parts to the scalpel: the handle and the knife.

the design of current scalpels has not changed in about 50 or more years, so I guess they don't need much improvement. The only thing is, that now-a-days, disposable scalpels are used quite often. When I worked in surgery in the 1960s-early 70s, disposables weren't around.

There are several types of knife blades. The most common used in the physician office is probably a #11. A #10 is also common is surgery.

the difference between a regular scalpel and a laser one is like the difference between lightning and a lightning bug. they both make a nice incision, but there the similarites stop.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA(AMT), CMA(AAMA)

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes