This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
List of UNACCREDITED MA SCHOOLS IN USA

Can somebody please provide me with the info how to find the list of schools in USA (AA degree and/or diploma) that are NOT accredited by ABHES or CAHEB.

Thanks !!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Still In School? NO

Are You Working? NO

Re: List of UNACCREDITED MA SCHOOLS IN USA

What you might want to do instead is go to the CAAHEP site and look at which ones in your state ARE. It will weed down the list considerably for you. They have a search by state function. I saw that while there are a TON of MA programs in my area, only 4 in the whole state are accredited by CAAHEP.

hope this helps

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Student

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no

The adult school I would like to go to here in California is not accredited by CAAHEP for medical assistants. This is a 10 week Administrative medical Assistant and a 10 week Clinical Medical Assistant with phlebotomy technician 1. There is a 4 weeks Clinical Medical Assistant externship and a 4 weeks phlebotomy externship. The cost is $4,899. And in the end you take the NCCT national exam for administrative and clinical medical assistant and phlebotomy technician1. Even thought the school is not CAAHEP for medical assitant the school itself is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.

If providers would not accept this schools graduates then the school would here from all of the graduating students plus why would providers accept their students for externship.

Also, the schools that are 8 to 9 months long including externship cost around $15,000.00.

Any thoughts

Are You Still In School? NO

Are You Working? NO

Wow! That sounds like a lot of money to shell out for little in return.

I first went through a 1 year phlebotomist program at a well-established local accredited private college, then decided to also become an MA and completed a 2 year program at my community college. In all of that I didn't even spend the $15,000 you are talking about simply for an externship. (Externship was a part of the program.)

I would advise attending a fully accredited institution, and you will probably get the most for your money in community college.

As far as looking for an "adult" school, I went to back to school for phlebotomy and then my MA at age 49! I was 52 when I finally finished the 3 years of school and started working as a medical assistant. I fit in perfectly at school. People of all ages are going back to college now, so please don't worry about fitting in.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: NCMA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes