This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Externship Expectations

Hello everyone. I have seen several posts on here about externships, but hadn't run across this.

Can anyone please tell me what clinics/dr's offices/urgent care centers, etc really expect from externs? I'm asking because I am currently in school and a girl in my class has been placed @ a site. When she told us how things were going, it really didn't sound all that great. I appreciated her honesty, but it just seemed like there was a lot of confusion.

She said when she got there, the staff didn't even know she was coming. The office mgr/head nurse hadn't informed them and she wasn't there. Then, they had to "find" her someone to shadow. My classmate said it was very obvious that the girl didn't want to be bothered. So that made her feel uncomfortable. Another CMA pulled her off to the side and said she could shadow her. She let her practice injections on her & told her she was doing this bc that would be the only way she'd get her skills down pat. When my classmate asked further about this, she was told that the main parts of externships are rooming patients and taking vitals. Okaaaay, if that's the case, why are we even learning all of this other stuff?

Finally, my classmate said when the 2nd cma left early for the day, she spent the rest of the day just standing up front talking to the office staff. The 1st one didn't even attempt to grab her again for shadowing. She felt like it was not worth it at all bc she's not learning anything.

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No

Re: Externship Expectations

KayJay,

I just completed my externship and i can tell you that many offices like when an extern shows initiative. You have to ask questions, and ask anyone and everyone if they need help or if you can watch them/practice with them. Some people are just not good at teaching others, as may have been the case in your friend's experience.

I was lucky in that the office I went to (an urgent care clinic) was staffed with MAs, a nurse practicioner and a doctor, all of whom were willing to take the time to talk with me and teach me and let me put the skills I learned to use. Your friend needs to speak up and ask to be able to do things. If she does that and nothing changes then she should speak to her program director about finding another site.

Your externship is truly what you make of it. If you show initiative, ask questions and try to get involved as much as possible you will take away a lot of valuable information and you will improve your skills. Best of luck to you!!

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no, but looking

Re: Externship Expectations

Amy - Thanks for replying. You are right...you do have to ask questions. I like to do that by nature, so I'll have no prob w/that! :)

As far as my classmate is concerned, things haven't gotten any better for her. She is currently looking for another site but found out she's gonna have to do it on her own. She said the office is so unprofessional. She talked to the office mgr and addressed her concerns. The mgr is supposed to talk to the staff, but I'm not sure if that will happen or not. I say that bc its a small office and I'm sure she knows what is going on there. My friend/classmate said staff are contantly arguing & its been done in front of patients as well. It defintely sounds like I place I wouldn't want to drive to everyday. To me, that's bad business and if they're gonna be like that, they shouldn't take students. When you are trying to learn in an externship, that's the LAST thing you want to put up with. She said the kicker was when one of the MAs told her that she should have waited until she was finished w/the program before trying to do an externship. She said it in a nasty fashion. Whew...I'm glad I'm not going to that site!

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No