This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Medical Assistants....what do you do all day?

Hello. I am currently in a CMA program and just wanted to get some info from those of you who are already working in offices, clinics, etc.

What exactly do you all do on a daily basis? I'm sure no-one does the same thing, but that's why I would like to know. My main reason for asking is because as I've gone along in this program, I've learned quite a bit. I really enjoy the program, but I am surprised @ the amount of things we are learning. Others in the class feel this way as well. During a break one day, one of my classmates said that she wasn't aware a medical assistant did all of this stuff. In all the years she's gone to a doctor, the medical assistant has called you back to the exam area, taken your weight, height, done vitals, asked what brought you to the office and then instructed you to undress(if applicable) or have a seat & the dr would be in momentarily. I thought about what she said, and I agree. Whenever i've gotten an injection or had blood drawn, it was from a nurse, Dr. or PA. I've never had a MA do any of those things.

Any help would be appreciated. I start my externship in January and I want to be as prepared as possible. -- Thanks in advance! :)

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No

Re: Medical Assistants....what do you do all day?

Well I started my externship recently and though I agree that as a patient, that's all you see, but in my office there is soooo much more that goes on behind the scenes!
In my office, first of all, the MAs have a lot of autonomy. We can decide whether a U/A is called for, an EKG, a rapid strep, BS, any test we can do in the office, we can decide if it's necessary. We intake the pts obviously, and then we do what we need to do. For instance, someone came in today with chest pain that was indicative of CHF, so we did an EKG. I also did another EKG that was routine, but ended up catching afib that the pt went into while he was waiting! We also take most of the calls for the doctors, open their mail, call pts back for them, answer phone calls, forward messages, fax, copy, and clean. There is not a moment of down time.

Obviously, not every office is going to be as busy as mine (we have 6 providers and have had up to 200 pts in a day)but I hope it helps!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA Student

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? Yes