This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Experienced Medical Assistant can't find a job.

I worked in the same clinic for 24 years. It was a Family Practice with Urgent Care on evenings and weekends. The building was several offices combined into one. The layout was horrible which caused the MAs endless hours of walking. We only worked on paper charts with a computer for printing schedules, patients questions, etc... This was my home, but as I got older and injured my c-spine and lumbar, I had to quit.
WOW, how things change when you try to go from basic technology to the new EMR systems. I got a good job in a small office, but could not get the EMR basics down. They let me go and I have been out of work for close to a year. I learned the EMR but just not fast enough. My whole career was in the 24 year clinic I had first worked in. I did't know where to start. I have applied for at least 100 jobs and had maybe 20 interviews since. I know some hiring managers who prefer the younger less experienced MAs so they can teach them the way they want things done. I really thought I could adapt to this new world, but it's hard when you aren't up on the "new" MA technology. I'm 54 years old and have a lot of years left before retirement age. I need money for bills so I am going to try any job I can find, even outside the medical field and maybe take some classes at our local tech college during evening hours.
Does anyone have any suggestions that would help me? I am desperate.

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? no