This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3
Author
Comment
Re: Sad but true! Where are the men?

Yes, I also found "face the wall" to be bizarre.

It would be very easy for me to be "looking" at the patient and not be "looking" at his gential area.
When I assist the doctor with paps, hardly ever do I need to view the patients "private" area, I don't even need to be positioned over the docs shoulder. Just stand to the side and hand the slides and other stuff.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: BSE; RMA(AMT)

Are You Still In School? no

The salary of an MA would not be enough to sustain a family. Often it is the man who supports the family finacially and making $15.00 tops an hour wont cut it in my area. More men are going into nursing because of the salary. A New RN in my area makes $29.00/hr and a new MA makes $11.00/hr. And in my area there are 10 times more nursing jobs than MA jobs. To pay the amount of money some MA schools charge is rediculous to make barely minimum wage, and thats if you can find a job. An Associates Degree in Nursing is worth 100 times more than an Associates Degree in Medical Assisting. Not bashing the MA profession, but the salary for an MA is pathetic compared to other health care professionals.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RN

Are You Working? Yes

Yes, Lorraine. My sentiments exactly. How can I "witness" anything if I am looking at the wall.

What a snicker this would raise if I had to testify to this in court!!!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: B.S.E., RMA, AHI

Are You Working? yes

Thank you Nate and Gman for being very blunt. I think the time has come to start being honest about what is to be expected when one enters into a MA program,male or female. If you are looking to make a lot of money or even "decent" money,look elsewhere. The salaries aren't going to suddenly rise just because your school gave you a line about how it is the "fastest growing career" (which means nothing!) ,or how thousands of doctor's offices are "screaming" for help (if THAT is true,then why are so many MAs out of work?). The offices will give you chump pay compared to hospitals but take note how you don't see any ads in your local papers for an MA in a hospital setting. That's because hospitals only want nurses and aides. If you are lucky you can find some kind of "tech" position but that's not what you went to school for.
And although for every MA position ad in the papers you'll see a dozen nurses jobs,it's also harder to get into nursing school,there is a waiting list of up to 2 years. That's because that job PAYS MORE and you'll get 10 times more respect and recognition. The latter part is important. MAs perform a LOT of duties,it's almost become a big selling point of recruiters to gush about all that MAs get to do,and it seems to be a feature of what an MA is. Yet what isn't being questioned is,if a person is doing everything a nurse is doing,then why is the pay sometimes half of what they make? And I have taken 3 times more classes than an LPN student has to take because of another program I was in so it's not just the length of schooling that matters but what certificate do you have in your hands. I need 3-4 required classes to become an LPN but I do not want to wait 2 years to get accepted. Just like I didn't want to wait a measly 4 months to enter a community college's MA program but do something NOW so I signed up (as in loans) 2 years ago to enter a lousy "health career" school,and got in just like that. Had I waited I could have gone on a full grant instead of having to make payments every month for not being able to find a job. THAT in itself will make you bitter.
And I am in my late 40s,not early 20s, when a waiting list is easier to handle.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Certified,which as it turns out,does not help

Are You Still In School? No,thank God.

Are You Working? Not in months

well i have a MA job for some arabic doctor and well i wanted it i got it mininum wage and i bust my A$$

i do everything front desk, pt check in, vitals, blood draw, ekg, pft, x rays, im his slave we work 48 hrs a week dont try to explain overtime to him lol

plus we eat lunch while working there is no actuall break in the fun so if im at the front desk its with my lunch in one hand and key board in another

but im an MA now

Are You Working? no

its a family practice
i guess it a cultural thing but the doc likes to talk down to people o welli just do as im told

i almost didnt take the job because of the comment "ill hire u cause all i used to get is black women and they all are bi*****hs" pretty racest but hey beggers cant be choosers

i feel bad cause i had to "fudge" my resume for the job but hey lots of people do it at least i get t make real experience now

Are You Working? yes

Not to make my first posting a posion pen letter, But all of this talk about men not getting a fair shake in todays Womans world is proof positive right here. A blog spot for men to discuss things and it is taken over by women postings by over 75%. Sorry but I rest my case..... Thank you and have a plesant tomorrow.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? Yes

no matter i just got fired yesterday cause the pts said they do not feel comfortabe with a male

jr what do u think guys should do in the MA field ?

i say quit

No not a CMA in a doctors office was summarily dismissed way to often with the phrase lookin for someone with more experence. my PCT trianing has goten me interveiews at 75 percent of the hospitals in the 25 mile area of Detroit. Oh how I like the techique used to say thank you but no thank you.
so I 've involved myself in home care, granted the title HHA is a step down from my training but it si my training and knowledgew that has prompted my two employers to hand out thaose raises and bonuses. and strictly on the hush hush, employers say i cant do it but I've made over 200 dollars this in "gifts form clients. yeah I know it sounds cold but while atending to their needs their are things that around the house needs to be done that evidently the fairer sex are unable or feel is not in theoir job description. once i used a clients ladder and changed a coupole light bulbs and the battery i a smoke detector on the ceiling.... cha ching. yeh I am depressed about the closed minded medical professionaland general population who are that bias about who greets them and takes their history and vitals... but its a fact of life. myself I had to return to work the bills do not pay themselves, and the rule that we all forget half of what we learned it true and if you do not find a path i whioch to keep the knowledge you have accrued you will lose more than that. that my 02. cents.
it took me 6 months after graduating to except this little fact. Good luck to everyone we are all needed out there expand your field of vision yeah we got a piece of paper that says we are that, but remember we are so much more last year with only ten months I earned mid 20's this year its looking like possibly I'll breakl 30G's
Still I wish I could've tried that office scene but I fell into this. I know I'm making a difference. yeah I'm a CMA and PCT both ncct certified and I'm doing home health care for accident and workmans comp cases. my cleitn change as the heal. average time with clients is 6 to 9 weeks..

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA/ PCT ncct certifications 2 years

Are You Still In School? nope

Are You Working? yep

I'm a male Ma. I got hired from my externship in a lab as a phlebotomist. I then sought a job in an urgent care center. I was hired, then went to a training class to become an HIV counselor. I have been on this job for 2 years now and recently visited the school where I went for training and was asked to be a teachers assistant. Of course, I accepted the job and now have 2 jobs. I need to take the RMA exam, then I will be able to teach on my own. Good luck to all the men. Any questions feel free to e-mail me.

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

I have a question here folks? I have started the Coding and Billing Cert. at my local college. However, I am reading posts here and becoming a little scared i have made the wrong choose. I do not want to work in a Doctors office at all. what i would like to do is Code. Thats all i want, nothing else. I would like to work for a large hospital or do the traveling coding thing. Is is hard to get just a coding a job and work there if your male? or what? someone please help. i cant find any information on this at all except what i have learned here.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: none yet

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

Did not know about the stigma with males

I'm male and only 24 but had a dad that said I could do any thing if I worked at it and all my life I have been very compasint to every one and have finnly found out the type of work I want to get into which is caring for others. I have advanced frist aid training and am trying to motvate my self to joining the navy to become a medical sailor. I did not do well in school but I hope I have the passion to make it. I think more people should get into the medical feild as saving lifes make's you feal better. O bye the way i'm not from the usa any tips on joining the navy would help.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: n/a

Are You Still In School? nope

Are You Working? yes

Talk to a navy recruiter - if you have a green card you should be able to join. They do let non-citizens join the military and I believe it helps you gain citizenship as well.

Becoming a navy corpsman is a good goal. There are so many things you can end up doing with that and the training/work experience can be extensive.

I am a male and work in a office. the only problem I have is the pelvic exams and ekg's. 50% of the time women don't care if I come in. I work with a female CRNP in the office. She and I work great together, I am learning how she wants things and how to make her life easier.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: medical asistant

Are You Working? yes

wow they basically said...well the clinics are for us women...but hey, go enlist!!! screw you

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Working? yes

who ever wrote about the navy is a ************** *****

Your Professional Title/Credentials: ....

Are You Working? no

I do not want this tread to lead to rude comments or flaming. Please keep it professional. Otherwise, I may have to correct, or delete inappropriate entries. Always remember, it's not what is said, but how it's said. That's a good rule of thumb in every situation, including here, on the message board.

Thanks.

Danni R.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner?Site Admin

I am a recent graduate and i am having trouble finding a job as a male medical assistant and it is getting frustrating. When i was going to college to get my associates degree in medical assisting I was the only male in the classes. I agree with what is being said on this post.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Medical Assistant

Are You Still In School? Just Graduated in Feb 08.

Are You Working? Looking for work.

It is very true that there are not many male figures in the MA field. The reason that i got into the field was because of the prospect of making more money and moving up the ladder of the healthcare world to become a PA-C. I think the reason you dont see many men in the field is because of the fact that you typicaly dont see much "action" as a CMA. Most men would rather go in to emergency response or the fire dept because that is a male dominaited profesion more of what men want to be a part of, high adrenaline rescue opps and such. I would never tell any of my buds to go to school to become a CMA because of the fact that the school was dominated by women. not to nock any you girls but class more than not became story time for an hour and there was way to much class room drama. im sorry girls but when yall spend a lot of time together it seems that you just have to have something to bicker about. it was really tough on me and the two other men in the class to actually get some "real" class time in. and that is why i belive you dont see many men the MA field

Are You Working? yes

I am one of those career changer males. I have been in medical assisting school for 5 months and have a 4.0 GPA. All my instructors keep telling me that I will get grabbed up quickly upon graduation by Doctors who are looking for male MA's. I work really hard in school not only to make the grades but really try and put myself in the mode of on the job training. Is private practice the best place to look for work or a hospital? Thanks, Rainman

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA student

Are You Working? no

Good luck getting a job!! No hospital will hire a Medical Assistant. They will hire a medication aid that only trains for several weeks before an M.A. The market is completely overwhelmed with M.A's and its no longer a job of demand according to the Texas Worforce Commission. Maybe in your state you will have a better chance but don't bank on it. Magnetic Resonance Imaging is were the money flows. Do not come to Texas with the expectations of getting a job as an M.A. I don't want to bust your bubble, but your teacher continues to con you just like those fake recruters. I can't even get a job at a Urology clinic and I have 15 years of well-rounded clinical experience. It's a women dominated field. I'm very frustated with the outcome of this loosing career, I could have applied the 12 thousand dollar's toward a better education!!!! Dream on!!!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Medical assistant

Are You Working? No, can't find a job

I am a Working Male Medical Assistant with a paramedical exam company. I am recently registered with amt

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Registered Medical Assistant

Are You Working? yes

i am a man and it is true that we are not minority in the med assi. field . i thought that would be a good thing (beter pay). im from texas its not that hard to find a job here in the medical field as long as you have some type of training. i am curently doing my extern @ a heart hospital and it is great.

Are You Still In School? intern

Are You Working? no

Just an FYI update as I am the one who basicly started this post long ago. I got my degree in 2007. Started looking for jobs in the MA field before I was done with school. I was offered several jobs in the urology field but that is mostly doing UA's and book work that is not why I went to school. I went to school to provide patient care.
I have been in the medical field as an EMT and as a Surgical team assistant for 18 years, I have never had a female watching me in the back of my rig while taking care of female patients and it has never been a problem. I know the office setting is different, but why? In the rig, there are times that the female patient is far more exposed (depending on injuries) then she would ever be in the office setting but in the rig it is not an issue?????why?
This one office I was offered a job at, there was a female MA, not a CMA mind you, Just an MA who was being trained on the job, not a schooled MA, on the job MA,( get my point) who started in this office 2 months prior, my pay offer was $2.75 less to start, than she was making. her previous job was at a local food joint. But she is cute and a female and by GOD she has rights.......
I keep my certification (why I don't know) but have said to hell with this whole CMA crap and switched over to Medical Informatics and now (after only 1 year) am second in command of our hospitals Physician Informatics department. I needed a degree to get my current job but a degree in basket weaving would have been just as usefull.
Sorry to be down on this whole thing but it is time for the guys to face the fact that guys will never have the same chances in the MA field as the girls do so get out now, go into computers where you can actually have a chance at supporting your family. Computers dont give a rip if your male or female, cute or ugly as a mud fence.
Have a good day.
DK
CMA (AAMA)
Montana.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Are You Working? Yes

Wow, with all the negativity it is understandable why so many are finding it hard to become employed. I got a job w/3 months left to graduate because I sold myself on professionalism and a good ethic. I am dependable and on time to work. I have already received 2 raises in less than 4 months. There are no handouts out there. You have to commit yourself and be grateful with the things you have. I live in a state with a 9.3 % unemployment rate and found a job before I graduated. Practices want to know what you are bringing to the table, not what you expect and how you expect it. Its time for a reality check! Maybe this field is not the right one for some who lack committment and really dont mind "Earning" the respect of co-workers and peers. I have also been offered aposition teachoing MA's where I went to school as soon as I have worked in the field long enough. Where there is a will there is a way.

really? a will there isa way?

well my will quit after 9 years of looking for work and going to florida for 6 dollars an hr only to get fired 2 days later and to be told i cant have a job cause they need a female

RainMan,
You said that practices are looking for what you can bring to the table, not what you want to get out of it. Well No S&#$ brainboy. That is not the problem. The problem is the misconception (around here at least)that a male in the medical field who is not a Dr, must be a pervert and could not possibly be interested in actual patient care.
What I bring to the table is 21 years of patient care total. I have a degree as a Surgical tech, A limited license Rad Tech, A CMA (AAMA), Pharm tech and a business degree. I am also almost done with my Masters in Computer Science. So I have more than enough to "Bring to the table" son.
You also said be happy with what you can get. Perhaps you can make it on $6 bucks an hour but when you have 3 children and are making student loan payments for you and your wifes Masters Degrees, then $6 bucks does not cut it.
In short, know your place in line before making uninformed statements.

Are You Working? Yes

I'm in PA and there are few male MA's here. Personally, I don't know that it's a male/female thing here. I tend to see it more as a pay issue here. MA's don't make anywhere near enough to support a family here. It's fine for me as a second income. I know a few single moms who are MA's but they also get financial support from other sources...whether it be the government, child support, etc.

Starting MA wage here is probably around $9 an hour right now. How is a guy supposed to suuport a family on that? I also think that most guys don't see it as a "masculine" profession due to the heavy "secretarial" aspect of the job.

I don't think you can expect more men in the field without a higher return financially.

Just my 2 cents.

Are You Working? Yes

Hey Dk Jr. you sound really bitter, Dont hate the game. I know my place in line you might want to look at yours. I am not the one compaining, you have tons of experience, so whats the problem. If I were offered a job for $6 bucks an hr. I would probably would not take it. If you do then you are telling them what your worth. I am just trying to say that a lot of people are living in the problem and not the solution. Everyone has to do what works for them. Times are hard everywhere, you still have to have a positive attitude. Employers really want to have positive people around to create a positive experience for their pt's and staff.

I never have understood the connection between "negativity" and finding a job. Lots of negative thinking people do and they keep those jobs. What about all the MA students who talk excitedly about what they plan to do when they graduate and will say repeatedly " I KNOW I am going to find a job"- and then they don't? And they try hard too but are left feeling pretty bad since they are given the impression "Well, you must not have tried hard enough".

Rainman, you totally hit on the nail with your comments. I agree with all you said. Its all on how you present yourself. DK jr, you need to get a reality check. Based on your comments, you come across as one of those individuals that think their experience alone will pave the way. That your position should be in the middle of the chain instead of the bottom. But, I myself, are not impressed with your experience if you portray the type of attidude based on your posts. All the experience in the world is useless if you don't have the professionlism or attidude to utilize it in the correct manner. I'am a male who is about 7 months or so away from graduating from a junior college as a medical assistant. I know I have a great attidude towards my future and it has already started to pay dividends. Different things have started to take place to set me up upon my graduation. Thats with no experience in this field. I feel its my attidude alone that has started to pave the way for me.

RainMan and Russ,
While there is some truth to your statements about me being the one complaining and my bitterness, I will will have to correct you both on the reality check and my lack of professionalism. I do not need a reality check, I am living in the reality, Around here, MA's are are a half step above house keepers and mostly relageted to the front office, I did not spend 2 additional years in school to push papers.
As far as positive and professional is concerned, I am very positive, given a level playing field and for professionalism, beleive it or not, I give the lecture on being and acting professional at our hospital when new employees and students come on board. I did not apply for my current station at the hospital working with the Providers, I was contacted by the Hospital board of directors and asked to take this job based on my reputation and professionalism.
So again, I will agree with you both that on a few of your points, you got me and I do hold a ton of negitivity given the situation around here, But on the other points, please stand corrected.
Good Day Gentelmen.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA(AAMA)

No disrespect intended to anyone reading these post. I get really concerned reading all the negative comments about my profession and a lot of people saying they can't find work. The whole country is in an economic tailspin and competition is fierce. There are a lot of better qualified people out there than someone who just graduated, so if you were a hiring manager who would you hire? I am willing to bet that they are going with the experience. Maybe the person who interviews the best for their position, regardless of experience I don't know! All that I am trying to say is that one must have a positive attitude and show enthusiasm, and be patient. I have turned down jobs that were not a good fit for both parties. Sometimes it isn't the right place for me. The MA's I know carry the work load and yes they are often under appreciated. I also know some that are the right hand of the Dr. they work with and are compensated very well. I suggest thinking long and hard about the commitment it takes to work in this field and ask yourselves, do I really want to do that kind of work? The school I attended was very active in career placement. They also need to put the best students in the practice for the schools reputation and credibility. Most of the students I went to school with will never work in this field. They did not come to class, failed test, showed up late for interviews and still complained that they were not successful, I wonder why.

Okay. Maybe I was off base with the professionlism statement. It just jaws at me when all I hear is negative comments most of the time in regards to men in this field. I was always taught that "attidude" will win most of your battles. It's true in most cases. I can understand your bitterness DK jr. Let me ask you a question. What were your expectations in regards to becoming an MA?? Rainman has the absolute best attidude. Its just a breath of fresh air to read some truely good comments about men in this field. To me, its all up to you and how you approach it. All the excuses that I read here about men not getting a fair shake in this field is just that, EXCUSES!!
You approach it with a great attidude, people are going to want to talk to you and get to know you better. Try it sometime. You will be amazed with the results.

my expetations were to find a job and i was not able to after 9 years of looking going to florida being offered below minimum wage and getting fired and... well i wont get into the and. but this field sucks

Nate
You are someone I have a hard time believing. I'm sorry to say that. But I shoot straight from the hip.
9 years and you haven't been able to hold onto a position. You might want to sit down and re-evaulate yourself. You get fired after two days on a job here in Florida. Your EXCUSE was "it has come to my attention that you don't have the experience". Something like that would of came up during the interview process. I'm sorry. Absolutely unbelievable.
I don't even believe you made the trip down here. You seem to be really good at making EXCUSES for yourself which in turn expect everyone around you to feel sorry for you. I don't believe you have the desire or the commitment. I'm just sick and tired of your negativity on this forum. Your attidude sucks, not this field.

I hear ya i DO NOT like being this negative it dose sucks, I'am greatful for the job i do have shipping medical records at the DMC (its pretty much shipping and reciving). I feel the "crutch" you say im useing was not made up by me, its what i have heard many an interview "oh our patients may not feel comfortable with a man" "i have to ask the doctor if he feels comfortable with a man in this position" if i'am to question the legality of those statments its a pointless trip because at the end of the day it dose not translate into a job at these places (some doctors have a god complex yet cant tell if an elevator is going up or down true story lol)

the goals i set in 99-2000 while at Ross and finishing up and starting to look for work is this,

1, network find out what dr offices or clinics are hireing or maybe know of who is hireing.

2, accept ANYTHING and do ANYTHING to get in the door 5 bucks an hr and cleaning the waiting room? sounds great if it gets my foot in the office.

3, go WHEREVER the job is be it Florida or Michigan jobes dont come to you/me

Understand that my experience in florida was not that great i ant force you to belive me but trust me i was there i cant make something up that upsets me

Okay, let's analyze this a bit.

Nate, you say that no one will hire you because you are male. In some practices (OBGYN comes to mind), I can see why that may be. Doctors always have to think of patient comfort first.

But I think a primary reason why you have not been hired is something you mentioned that I don't think I have read before--being fired from your externship. You haven't said what the circumstances were, but for some employers, it wouldn't matter. If this is on your resume, it's a problem. Hiring managers base the first step to employing someone on the applicant's resume. I would be less inclined to hire someone who was fired from their externship.

I also believe that, based on your resume, potential employers may think your skills are out of date, since you graduated nine years ago and have not worked in the field for that amount of time.

Nate, there are lots of us on here that are rooting for you and want you to be successful. I wish I had some advice that you would listen to.

Jenny

I found the men! I agree that many men seek the positions that are more adrenaline pumping than an office or clinic; such as OR Tech, ER Tech, EMT Paramedic, etc.

In my area, I have yet to come across a male CMA. BUT, here the men that interested in the medical field that aren't in the above professions are in nursing.

Over the past 8 months to a year, I have seen a BIG influx of male nurses in my area; like they all graduated at once, lol! I have been in the hospitals many times over that period of time with family members and EACH time, they were cared for by male nurses. Different hospitals, different shifts, different nurses.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: BS, AD, CPNCC

Are You Working? Yes

I went to a 2 year college we had 24 women and 3 males. One quit but the other two men both found jobs one before graduation and one shortly after. This a steel mill - coal mining town both of these men had been laid off from these types of jobs. Also our local urgent care has a male MA.

Nate have you thought of taking a phlebotomy course? It is inexpensive, most classes are in the evening, you get lots of experience with needles. You might gain back some of your confidence. Maybe you could get a job and the pay is about the same or better than MA.

Are You Working? yes

I am a 36 year old male, who is considering starting Ross medical in June to become a medical assistant. I have worked in sales for the last 15 years so I have no medical experience. After reading on this forum I have become a little concerned. What do all you think about me making this career change? Do I even have a legimate opportunity to obtain employment?

Are You Working? no

DMG,

You have to forgive Nate on this forum. He is totally negative on every aspect of this profession. I myself am a male that is about 5 months away from finishing school. Opportunties are there. Someone hit it on the button in a recent post a few days ago. You just need to be totally professional and willing to learn.
Good Luck and don't take to heart all of the negativtity that is on this forum. Some is, I'm sure, true. You just have to filter out what is actually true and what is just pure frustration.

Are You Working? yes

Hey guys, got to tell you working with cancer patients is tough. I do all their blood work and vitals each visit which for some is daily or at least 2 to 3 times per week. I have to find invisible veins to get what the Dr. needs to assess their progress and adjust their chemo. I see around 70 to 80 pt's per day and my skills have to be sharp. They expect to get what they need with only one "stick" no room for amatuers! I love what I do and feel valuble to the treatment team I work with to help our pt's remain positive and hopefull. To answer the above question, I would say you have to have a passion for what you do in any job especially this one. If you don't, don't waist your time. I am glad I did the MA program, I will probably go for my RN after getting a little more experience. But MA is a great place to start to see if you have a desire to go futher. That's my 2 cents.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA working @ oncology practice

Are You Working? yes

Lorraine
"I worked for a family practice with 1 female doctor, 1 female ARNP, and one female PA. If any of these 3 had to perform a hernia exam on a male, I had to chaperone, but had to turn and face the wall so as not to see the male patient's gential area."

I find that bizarre. You're supposed to be in there as a "witness" and you have to face the wall so you can't witness anything?

I find that men typically could care less. They're usually more than happy to take their shirt off when you ask if they can pull their sleeve up for a BP. I've also been asked if I wanted to give them their flu shot in the butt....lol. No thanks, the arm is fine.

I think the biggest hurdle for men entering this field is the payscale! A lot of men are going into RN programs but it wouldn't be easy for a man to support a family on a MA pay in many areas.

Lorraine

Lorraine

hahahahah!!! That is odd indeed. You're asked to chaperon, but not look, so what they are saying is use your ears, not your eyes. What sounds were you supposed to listen for in order to turn around and say "hey!".

Okay, let's keep it real.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin

Are You Working? Yes

Re: I am a man studying to be a Medical Assistant

I am a man who is going to school to be a Medical Assistant... Could you give some insite on what to do and what not to do?

Are You Working? no

Hello there Danny, I went to college in Salt Lake City, Ut. At Eagle Gate College. I got my Medical Assisting Diploma there were few males in my class and there were 12 in my class. I always knew females always got the jobs more then the men. I proved them wrong at my school...I'm 48 and I graduated with a GPA of 4.0 and High Honors. I got Perfect Attendance, and Made the Dean's List, President's List Every Term. I out did all the females in my class because I had alot to prove to these ladies that a man can do this just as good if not better. I heard that from a few people that I have worked with and when I was on my externship...again I heard the same. But still they hire women over men in alot of places I have applyed at...thats ok I'm working with a good company...its a military contracting company that gets contracts with them to supply their clinics with Medical personal. I knew that in due time I would get what I dreamt about. I remember when I went to college that when I sat for my online for my NCCT-NCMA exam I was the first male from my school to get such a high score I've earned my NCMA, NCPT from there. I'm also a CNA 14 yr. now and I was a Medic in the Army as well and I had a hard time finding work as a EMT or anything related to the medical field. I was told I would have to start all over again at that time frame 1994 to be exact...their words were they did reconize my military training as a real job that was here in Utah. I took them at their word and after many interviews. I went back to school. I have 3 sons two of them have autism and my wife is a stay home Mom. They let me know each day how proud they are of me. One more thing I'm the first out of my family to go to college and to graduate and did not wind up wasting my life away. I hope this helps you males out there. Thank you and God bless,
Matt Edler, NCMAA, NCPT, CNA

Your Professional Title/Credentials: NCMA, CNA

Are You Still In School? No.

Are You Working? Yes.

I want to find employment as a Medical Assistant. Preferbly in Orthopedics or for a Chiropractor. But sadly, after 3 months of sending out resumes and filling out job applications and looking for employment. I was unsuccessful. So I enrolled in CNA School.

Not happy because I wanted to work in the Medical offices because the hours are better, pay is better, and you get holidays and weekends off.

Now it looks like I am going to be stuck working in a hospital or nursing home for minimum wage and will not see a weekend or holiday off for a long time.

But not all is bad. Every hospital organization does have an Orthopedics Unit or division. No doubt people with broken bones end up there and need medical attention. I went into healthcare to help the sick and hurt and I still get my chance to do so.
Nobody has a gun to my head that says I have to keep working as a CNA. CHances are, I will get mornings offs. I can continue to network and look for MA related employment.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Nationally Registered Certified Medical Assistant

Are You Working? No

chuckles the MA
I want to find employment as a Medical Assistant. Preferbly in Orthopedics or for a Chiropractor. But sadly, after 3 months of sending out resumes and filling out job applications and looking for employment. I was unsuccessful. So I enrolled in CNA School.

Not happy because I wanted to work in the Medical offices because the hours are better, pay is better, and you get holidays and weekends off.

Now it looks like I am going to be stuck working in a hospital or nursing home for minimum wage and will not see a weekend or holiday off for a long time.

But not all is bad. Every hospital organization does have an Orthopedics Unit or division. No doubt people with broken bones end up there and need medical attention. I went into healthcare to help the sick and hurt and I still get my chance to do so.
Nobody has a gun to my head that says I have to keep working as a CNA. CHances are, I will get mornings offs. I can continue to network and look for MA related employment.

Guess what I am trying to say is, if you are a guy and want to work as a Medical Assistant. Go to school and do it. You may wind up in a situation like mine, but there are all kinds of things you can do to improve your chances of finding employment.

For Example:

Enroll in college and get a coding/healthcare admin degree.

I am going to school anyways to learn spanish. I was originally going to do it anyways because I wanted to watch WWE in espanol and do business in the various hispanic communities around the Dallas/Fort Worth Area where I live, but I can also use it better communicate with patients!

I still see signs offering to hire LVN's (in Texas, we call LPN's, LVN's instead) and I have seen LVN's working in Doctors Office. You can keep trying for those schools and maybe work your way up as an RN!

No doubt more people will post ideas on top of mine.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Nationally Registered Certified Medical Assistant

Are You Working? No

Chuckles,
because you posted under "where are the men?", are you a male medical assistant also? I have ready your post, and I am impressed with your determination to get to where your ambitions lead you, at any cost. You are going through great lengths and that deserves praise. I hope that soon enough, potential employers where you apply will recognize, and value that.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin

Danni R.
Chuckles,
because you posted under "where are the men?", are you a male medical assistant also? I have ready your post, and I am impressed with your determination to get to where your ambitions lead you, at any cost. You are going through great lengths and that deserves praise. I hope that soon enough, potential employers where you apply will recognize, and value that.

Yes, I am a Male Medical Assistant.

I do agree that there are alot fewer job opportunities for Males than females as MA's based upon my experience. I got turned down for two extern sites because of my gender.

I do have alot of resentment against most employers that hire Medical Assistants because of it. Discrimination is unprofessional and these are suppose to be professionals. Also a lot of employers claim they are "Equal Opportunity" employers but clearly they are not when they refuse to grant somebody an opportunity to extern or be employed because they are male.

Unfortunately. It really isn't personal. You see, in this day and age, 95% of Americans are losing their jobs, their homes and their health insurance. Because nobody can afford 1,000 Dollars (Exaggerating! But healthcare is expensive) for even a simple check up.
Doctor's Offices, like any business, MUST MAKE A PROFIT. So if they are losing patients, they are not making money.So they must make due with fewer employees than what they need.
Yes,my gender makes no difference when it comes to making appointments, data entry work, cleaning and restocking exam rooms, pulling charts. But they also need female MA's to stay in the exam rooms with the doctor if there is a patient in there. Because females MA's can do this and male MA's cannot, well, Male MA's don't get the job, while female MA's do.

But despite all I just typed. If you are a male and really want to be a Medical Assistant. I really think you should go to school for and get certified. You might have better luck than I did and land a job and even if you have the same problems I got. You can still try some of my ideas I just posted earlier and they might help you land a job.

Change is inevitable, but growth is optional.

Are You Working? No

1 2 3