This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Picking the right school

Hi, I live in L.A. area (California) and am trying to re-enter the workforce after nearly dying in a car accident. I am looking at a medical college that promises a 96% graduates and 91% placement afterwards. I have sat in one day's class and it seems really good but not sure that I have done enough research. The local hospital knows and hires graduates from this school and have spoken to a recent graduate who had nothing but good things about the school. Before I commit myself to this school, what else should I be doing? I am getting "too old" to have another career and don't want to make a mistake. Thanks for listening and hope you can help me.

Are You Still In School? Future Medical Assistant

Re: Picking the right school

Wow, glad you have recovered form your accident!! I would check to see if your school is either CAHEA or ABHES accredited, so you can sit for the AAMA or AMT exams :)

Are You Still In School? CMA, CNA, RMA

Re: Re: Picking the right school

Hi Tracy, thank you. Recovering from a broken neck and broken ribs has been hard but I want to give back and help others. How do I find CAHEA or ABHES accreditations? The school said they are accredited, but I cannot seem to find out on the web. I don't want to make a mistake and pick the wrong school but the experience of sitting in class yesterday and learning something new felt great. The school seems good but how do you find out for sure? The thing is I still have post traumatic stress syndrome from the accident (I was t-boned) and have a fear of driving long distances.
Looking forward to your answer

I would just call the admissions office and ask who their MA program is accredited by. If they don't know, the guidance counselor will.
Wow, what an awful experience for you! Is that why you chose to get into the medical field?? What a strong will you have to recover from such an ordeal. I'm sure it will be a long road, but you seem to have a good attitude and it is wondeful to be setting new goals for yourself. Keep moving forward right?? Best of luck! :)

Hi Tracy,
Thanks for replying right away. The hospital that saved my life really made me think of how I could change my life positively. I had 16 days to think while recovering in the hospital, although I only remember the last 8 days and this is the same hospital that knows about the school and has hired several of them as well. I found out that by just the narrowest of margins that I "only" broke my neck and ribs instead of becoming a quad and that is how I want to give back and help others.
I was able to find out by "googling" and then calling that the school is accredited by ABHES and has been since 2001 and the ABHES told me they were glad that I was checking since not many do that so that I can become a CMA instead of just a MA.
I will be going back to the school on Friday to sit in a different module with a different teacher to get a real big picture of everything.
I am lucky to have a husband and family to have helped me with my recovery and believe me, it has not been easy dealing with the red tape but in the long run, it will be a good beginning for all of us.
By the way, what state do you live and how long have you been a CMA? How long did it take for you to get a job after graduation and do you still work there?
Thanks again for your support, it really means a lot.

Wow, what an inspiring story :) It's great you have a wonderful support system as well. I graduated MA school in May 1993 and got a job immediately after for peanuts. I took the first job I was offered, and didn't even finish my 90 day orientation and was offered another position for $1.50 more an hour. I stayed there for 3 1/2 years and then moved to another county. I have worked in ENT/ opthamology, family practice, internal medicine, cardiology, solo family practice, lab, and Urgent Care. Urgent Care is my favorite. I have never been without a job since I graduated, demand is pretty good here. I am in Wisconsin and have been taking pre-reqs for the RN program for the last 2 1/2 years and will start full-time clinicals in January :)

Hi Tracy,
It's great to hear from you again so soon. Urgent care sounds good to me as well, especially since I want to go to where I can do the most good. My niece is a PA working for a very busy OB-GYN office in NC and said it's the best job she's had and is working towards her RN.
Do "they" look down on you if you leave a position just to have something and move on or is it expected I wonder? I just want to work somewhere where I can get good "bennies" and go home knowing I made a difference. I realize that until you have the CMA versus MA the pay will be lousy but I'm sure it beats disability hands down. That sounds like I will be taking the hospital route instead of working in a doctor's office but we will see how it goes.
Congrats on your RN program I'm sure that you will graduate with top honors! I will hopefully be starting school myself very soon but have to wade through all of that red tape first!
Take care of yourself, talk to you soon!
Patricia

I have been reading this thread and first want to say I am glad you are recovering well from your accident.

You said your (oh gosh I can't remember - niece?, aunt?) was working as a PA in an OBGYN office but was going to get her RN?

I am going to assume you are not using PA as initials for Physician Assistant, but if she really is a Physician Assistant, why is she making the change? Seems like a step down the ladder? Just wondering....Did you mean MA?

Dolli

Hi Dolli,
Thank you for your kind thoughts and you are welcome to join in helping me along my new path.
Yes, it's my niece who works in OBGYN office in NC and I did mis-type PA. She is MA working towards her RN.
Are you a CMA and how long have you been in the medical field?
Thanks, Patricia

I have had nothing but positive responses about going back to school, but no they don't expect it. The doctors are always quizzing me about things too since they know I will be learning about those things soon. They ask me why not go to medical school? No way could I handle residency at this point in my life, hubby, 2 kids! LOL

I hope you can cut through the red tape and get started soon! You seem quite ammbitious and I'm sure you'll go far. Enjoy the experience! :)

Hi Tracy,
Glad to hear that the doctors keep you learning and giving you "thumbs up." I too, am way past going to medical school, that boat sailed twenty years ago! LOL
I have a really good attorney so I'm sure that red tape will be cut very soon.
I will be sitting in another module at the school, probably Friday and hope to start school by the end of the month.
By the way, my niece is a MA on her way to RN in NC, not PA. I typed the wrong initials.
In your experience, is it better to go for hospital or doctor's office?
Take care of yourself, talk to you soon!
Patricia

Hi Patricia

I'm not an MA. I started reading this board about a year or so ago when I was considering going to school for MA. I come back from time to time. I am not in school right now for anything, but am probably going to start MT (transcription) school soon. After talking with my husband about 5 months ago, we decided MA would not work for me because I would want more, and might as well just figure out exactly what I wanted, and go ahead and do that. He was ready to spend money on all day child care for my two youngest for me to go to RT (resp therap) school, but the program was over an hour away. Can you say 7am clinicals an hour away with 3 kids to drop at daycare first and a husband who travels frequently? Ugh. One of the things that appealed to me about MA was that it was outpatient and the hours were good. We decided though that I would be irritated by having to do front office stuff and unless I got to do more than take vitals, preliminary information, and room the pts, I would be frustrated. I know there are more things to do as an MA than that, but we move a lot and finding that plum job every time I move would be most likely difficult to impossible. And the pay is not enough to spend all that childcare money on to go to school and then barely make enough to cover the daycare.

So, I am still thinking....Lots sounds interesting. I have to do some job shadowing to make sure I want to be an RT. I don't mind the gross stuff as long as I am not elbow deep in it 8 or 12 hours straight. DMS (ultrasound) or Medical Lab Tech (MLT or maybe MT) sounded interesting too. I liked microbiology lab a lot in college.

whew, that was more than you asked for...sorry! Good luck with your studies - MA students get to learn a lot of interesting stuff!

Hi Dolli,
It sounds as if you and I think similar. Since I was hurt on the job and someone else is going to pay for me to learn something new, I have been researching what would be good for me (and my husband's schedule) now and fifteen years down the road. My mother-in-law was a DON (director of nurses) and my sister-in-law is now in school for RN and my niece as you know already is a MA not PA in NC. I looked long and hard at different types of career that might work for us and decided before I realized the answer was starting me right in the face.
You definitely need to take your family into account and what will work for you guys. You will know what will work for you soon I'm sure.
I'm glad that you told me so much, it helps me more than you know.
Keep us posted on what you pick and I will do the same okay?

Patricia

The only experience I have had in the hospital was for my CNA training, so I am not the best judge. I think it depends on what you want to do. I really enjoy Urgent Care, so maybe ER will be good for me. I did like the ICU when I was there as well. In the clinic setting you get to know your patients better, as they come in often for checkups and such. I like the " hometown feel" of getting to know the patients by name :)

Re: Re: Re: Picking the right school

Just be aware that not all places pay more for CMA as opposed to MA. In fact, probably most places pay the same.

Lorraine

Are You Still In School? CMA

Hi,
There is a really great resource which can help you in the search for the right school. Its a huge data base of Medical Assistant programs from all across North America. There is loads of other interesting and helpful informtaiotn on the site.

I hope it helps
All Medical Assistant

AllAlliedHealthschools.com

Are You Still In School? Senior Editor