This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Don't Know What To Do?

I am 37 years of age and live in Ohio. I have been in school for approximately a month now. I entered in the 2 year program but am going to change it to the 1 year program. After making the decision to go back to school I feel great but after thinking about this I wonder if I'm doing the right thing. I would rather be a L.P.N. and wonder if I should first be a M.A. then go for L.P.N. or if I should withdrawl for M.A. and try to go for L.P.N.
Does anyone know the difference between an Associate of Administrative Medical Asst.(2years to get) and just a Medical Assistant (1 year to get) are? Is the pay different? Should I stay in the 2 year program? Please any help would be appreciated!!!

Are You Still In School? Just started school for CMA

Re: Don't Know What To Do?

Hi Tammy,
I think that if you want to be an LPN you should go for that and drop the medical assistant course. The credits for medical assistant won't really transfer. Unless you really want to experience being an MA, then you should do the medical assistant course. I don't know the difference between the administrative medical asst. and a medical assistant. In just the medical assistant course we learned everything, injections, blood draws, EKGs, counting cells, urinalysis, we only touched on medical billing and coding, medical transcription, medical insurance, to name a few. Mainly medical assistants work in clinics, or urgent care. They don't use medical assistants in Hospitals,or at least very few do, or nursing homes, at least they don't here in WI. LPNs can work in doctors clinics, hospitals, urgent care,or nursing homes. It depends on where you live for pay. Some places don't pay as well as others and it depends on experience. It would be best to try to find out the pay range for your area. I guess the decision is really yours to make. You'll just have to go with your gut feeling on this. I hope this helps a little to help you decide. Good luck to you.

Are You Still In School? CMA

Re: Re: Don't Know What To Do?

Dear Julie,
Thank you so much for taking the time to read and respond to my questions and uncertainties! Your input is very helpful.
I think if I stayed in the 2 year program it would be "wasting" my time. I would rather spend that second year going for my L.P.N.
Again Julie, thank you for your for your help, it is very much appreciated.

Are You Still In School? Just starting Medical Asst. School

Re: Re: Re: Don't Know What To Do?

I think you made a wise choice. Good luck!

Are You Still In School? CMA

I agree with Julie. If you KNOW you want to be a LPN there is no good reason to get your MA diploma. As far as the pay, it depends on your location. SalaryWizard.com can answer your questions on that! The only benefit to a two year degree is IF it's an Associate of Arts and you plan to get a Bachelor's in the future. An Associate Degree could get you 1/2 way through your Bachelor's if you plan accordingly. Most MA programs do not give you an Associates of Arts that fully transfers to Universities so if you have no desire for a BA, then go for the LPN! Best Wishes!!!!

Are You Still In School? MA Graduate

p.s.

Here is a good website for salary calculation!

http://net-temps.salary.com/

Hope that helps!!!!

Are You Still In School? MA Graduate