This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

I need some advice. Today in my lab class we started doing blood draws and I was a nervous wreck. I was shaking really bad. I got one tube of blood, but accidently pulled the needle out when I was getting ready to get the second tube of blood. Does drawing blood get easier after doing a few? How can I get over being so nervous and stop shaking so bad when I am getting ready to stick the needle in. Do MAs have to blood draws in the doctors office? Any advice would be really appreciated.
Thanks,
TML

Re: PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Depending on the office you work in, yes you will have to draw blood( including heel sticks on infants and finger pokes). Some offices have their own lab techs, but from time to time you will have to do it. It is just like riding a bike, the more you do it, the more comfortable you will get. It's hard to imagine now but you will be a pro! Just try your best to anchor your hand against the patients arm, so it doesn't wiggle, then you can easily change tubes without worry of pulling the needle out. Hang in there, it will get better!

Are You Still In School? CMA/ RMA/ CMA

Re: Re: PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

I remember my first time drawing blood in class. I too, was a nervous wreck. My hands were shaking so bad that I didn't think I could get the needle in. I was even nervous doing blood draws on our manikin. You will get more comfortable doing draws the more you do. We did tons of them in class. I worked in Occupational Health and I had to do loads of blood draws and it is like riding a bike, it just comes natural. Hang in there you can do it!!

Are You Still In School? CMA

YOU WILL GET COMFORTABLE - trust us! We've all been in your shoes. Shaking is frustrating, but it WILL STOP! The more you practice, the more relaxed you'll get!!!

My tips: take deep breaths, don't rush, and anchor the pt's arm. Use the pt's arm to secure your hand and the needle.

You'll get it down ..... it just takes practice :o)

Are You Still In School? MA

It does get easier. I work in a PCP office and we do blood draws but not a ton of them. It depends on what mood the doc is in and if he wants to make us run behind that day...hehe.

I still get nervous on some draws. Some you can tell will be easy as you can see right where you want to go. If I get someone that tells me they're a tough draw and if I can't find a vein by looking, I can always go grab one of the more experienced gals who will help out. I did have one lady tell me they could never get blood from her without a butterfly but I just used a smaller needle size and didn't have a problem.

If you get in an office where they don't want to help you if you have difficulties, I wouldn't want to work there. The girls where I am are willing to help and after all, it's the pt's discomfort that's of utmost importance. The staff doesn't want me sticking someone more than once either, because guaranteed that pt will go out and complain to the rest of the staff. :o)

Lorraine

Lorraine

Are You Still In School? CMA