This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Type of healthcare setting for my externship?

Hi. I have three months left of classes and then I am supposed to do a 2-month (240 hour) externship at a clinical site. I want the most exposure to the most different things I can get, and I want much more clinical/procedural experience than front desk, secretarial work. What type of setting should I choose for my externship? Do hospitals only use MAs for appointments and check-in? I want to be doing all back office if I can, or at least half and half. Is a doctor's office or clinic better than a hospital? Any advice would really help me out. Thanks. -LK

Are You Still In School? Medical Assistant student

Re: Type of healthcare setting for my externship?

I would try a clinic, preferably family practice. You can get alot of experience there from paps to lesion removals, to sutures to drawing labs, patient check in, immunizations, peds to geriatric. It a good free for all.

Are You Still In School? CMA/ RMA/CNA

I work in a family practice. We do blood draws, injections, assist with paps, hemocults, urinalysis, BP's...etc.

A wide range of experience. I personally prefer a busy office, I hate a slow pace.

Lorraine

Are You Still In School? CMA, CNA

I agree with the above replies. If you want variety, go with family practice! You'll see it all!! Never a dull moment :o).

I did my externship at an occupational health but my current job requires me to rotate between family practice and peds; I wish my extership was with family because I would have been better prepared. On the contrary, there's something to be learned from any experience, so just go for where you're assigned with an open and learning mind! Absorb it all and take the opportunities to ask lots of quesitons! You'll do great!

Good luck to you.

Are You Still In School? MA