This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3
Author
Comment
Re: RMA vs CMA-One better than the other?

Actually, they are both the same. Some places hire RMA where others hire CMA...doesn't make any sense, right? But it's true. And you can take both tests and be registered AND certified. But my advice would be to figure out what state you want to work in & find out which one that state or nearby surrounded states hire. That would be your best bet.

I am a clinical MA instructor in a Washington State Community College and have worked as an MA in the past. The RMA/CMA are now both electronic and 200 questions. The subject matter is the same, the testing protocol is the same. The credentials are interchangeable as far as most employers go here in Washington.

The nice thing about the AMT (who issues the RMA credential) is that if you are an instructor with a minimum of two years experience, either an RMA or CMA credential, three letters of recommendation and $25.00 annually, you can become a Certified Allied Health Instructor.

I think it is important to stop the dissent over whether the CMA or RMA is better and focus on getting our graduates to take and pass a national exam. Passing a national exam raises the awareness and appreciation of those who work with/hire our professionals.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Still In School? Teaching

Are You Working? Yes

I happen to highly disagree with you. I think as well as many people I know, think that $90 for a certification test is expensive. It's really expensive when you can afford that $90 for one much less $180 for both tests. I think that is insane that you prefer to hire someone with RMA/CMA certs than a person with only one of the certs because you don't believe they don't cost that much. I just took my RMA a month ago, and out of a scale from 0-100 I got a 94-100. Now, you're saying you wouldn't hire me simply because I don't have my CMA as well?

Marisol
Why not get both? the certs don't cost very much and if you are just starting out, the more certs and memberships to professional organizations you have, the better.

I think getting work as a medical assistant depends mostly on you, not where you went to school or what certifications you have. If you work hard, understood and competently perform the procedures you learned, have good attendance, and grasp the concept of professionalism, you'll be fine.

I'm the back office manager of a large free clinic. It's almost insulting when people come to interviews completely unaware of how to dress/behave. You need to be able to communicate clearly, neatly groomed, and wear conservative business attire, and have a copy of your resume (make sure there are no spelling errors on it). Above all, don't be late and don't be rude to the front office staff. So many people just don't get it. It's the attention to the small details that separate the employed from the unemployed.

I'm also more likely to hire someone with both certifications. It's not that expensive and it shows to me that you are willing to go the extra mile.

Don't discount volunteer experience if you can't find a good job. Call free clinics and the Veterans Administration. I got my start at the VA and the experience was invaluable. It sucked having to work for free and then still have to work for crap at wal-mart, but it paid off. I got my next job through one of the doctor's at the VA, his best friend was looking for a back office MA for his cardiology practice. Always try and network, you never know what kind of jobs it will lead to.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA/CPR-AED/FIRST AID

Are You Still In School? NO

Are You Working? NO

The fact that AAMA is self proclaiming to be the best is because the truth outweight the fact that AMT IS BETTER AND COLLEGE EDUCATED. AAMA is vocational schooling and on the job training and their CMA did not have college form of education. And the AAMA recognition is only for starting the organization for medical assistant,AAMA START OUT AS UNION. OLDER AAMC CERTIFICATION ARE NOT EDUCATED, AT LEAST NOT FROM COLLEGE. RECENT COLLEGE PROGRAM FOR CMA BY AAMA IS DUE TO AMT CHANLLEGE THE CREDENTIAL FOR KNOWLEDGE NOT EXPERIENCE.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Registered Certified Medical Assistant

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? not currently

I graduated from a Tech school. I just think it's crazy how some ppl tend to think that someone with both certs is better than one or bc they don't think they're expensive.

Modupe Sarratt. Nickname: Maria
The fact that AAMA is self proclaiming to be the best is because the truth outweight the fact that AMT IS BETTER AND COLLEGE EDUCATED. AAMA is vocational schooling and on the job training and their CMA did not have college form of education. And the AAMA recognition is only for starting the organization for medical assistant,AAMA START OUT AS UNION. OLDER AAMC CERTIFICATION ARE NOT EDUCATED, AT LEAST NOT FROM COLLEGE. RECENT COLLEGE PROGRAM FOR CMA BY AAMA IS DUE TO AMT CHANLLEGE THE CREDENTIAL FOR KNOWLEDGE NOT EXPERIENCE.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA/CPR-AED/FIRST AID

Are You Working? NO

BECCA
I graduated from a Tech school. I just think it's crazy how some ppl tend to think that someone with both certs is better than one or bc they don't think they're expensive.
Modupe Sarratt. Nickname: Maria

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Registered Certified Medical Assistant

Are You Working? not currently

Re: Re: RMA vs CMA-One better than the other?

No, an Associates degree is NOT required to be a CMA. You must only pass a test given by the AAMA to be a CMA and you must pass a test given by the AMT to be an RMA.One is NOT better than the other - they are the same. Both organizations are nationally recognized and both require continuing education.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA, phlebotomist

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

I just saw on the American Registry of MA website that there is no difference between the two here's the link to what I read they will not let me copy and paste it in my reply on this website:

arma-cert.org/forum

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CNA

Are You Still In School? Starting MA Sept 30th 2009

Are You Working? No

I was told that RMA can practice in any state in the U.S. whereas Certified was good in only the state in which you were certified. School was 10 years ago- has it changed now?

Are You Working? yes

Brenda
I was told that RMA can practice in any state in the U.S. whereas Certified was good in only the state in which you were certified. School was 10 years ago- has it changed now?

CMAs can practice in ANY state. It is a NATIONAL certification!

WOW!!! I have read this forum for quite some time!! I am appalled at the amount of "misinformation" still being posted. i.e.: "RMA goes to college, CMA does not." "CMA is only recognized state wide, RMA is a national certificate" And on and on.

If you people really want to know the facts, you need to contact representatives of the state societies in the state in which you live. AMT has chapters in all 50 states, including the Caribbean. I am not sure which states do not have a AAMA chapter. I live in Oklahoma and there is no state chapter here for AAMA.

This whole controversy started over this: AAMA has the CMA designation (with capital letters) COPYRIGHTED. So this means that any other organization that wishes to "certify" ma's CANNOT use CMA with capital letters. Did'nt anyone read the comment I made about the lawsuit that AMT broght against AAMA a few years ago? It says essentially this: AAMA is the only organization that can use "Certified". All others can say their ma's are "certified". Look closely here: the only difference is the CAPITALIZATION. A medical assistant is a medical assistant, regardless of the type of "credential" they hold. But, there are slight differences in the organizations (AAMA, AMT, ARMA, AAMP) themselves. To certify through AAMA, you MUST have received your MA training from a formal school - a trade or vocational school, or a college. All the other organizations will allow you to sit for the exam if you have OJT (on job training). All 4 of these organizations I mentioned above are NATIONWIDE accepted. There may be some states that require a state certificate that may not be accepted in another state, but these 4 are good ANY WHERE!!Which credential is better???? Who knows. Which school is better??? Who knows. Some schools offer both administrative and clinical curriculum. Some schools offer one without you haveing to take the other. If you want to sit for the AAMA or AMT exam, you will have to have a basic knowledge of both administrative and clinical areas. For those of you who have "only" a phlebotomist" certificate, this will not be enough for you to become certified as a Medical Assistant. You will need some school or OJT to become a "certified" medical assistant. If you are RMA and wish to apply for a job that calls only for CMA, I suggest you contact AMT to obtain the letter that will inform employers that RMA is the same as CMA.
I guess this controversy will never end. If the MA's themselves out there are confused over the designation, how can you expect an office manager (who is more than likely neither) to know the difference.

Anyone who wishes, please contact me by e-mail. I am the secretary of the Oklahoma State Soceity of American Medical Technologists and I will be happy to help you with the credentials.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA, RPT

Are You Working? yes

Suzy, I am so glad you revisited this post and clarified a some of the biggest misconceptions to set the record straight. I couldn't have said it any better (as a matter of fact-I couldn't!).

Thank you so very much for your continued support. Danni.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Forum Owner/Website Admin

Suzy, I have copied your article to

http://medicalassistant.net/medical_assistant_certifying_agencies.htm

Please note: While your email address appears normal, it is actually cloaked to hide it from spam bots. If you do NOT want the article there, please contact me.

Thanks for helping me spread the word.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Forum Owner/Website Admin

Dear Danni,

Hey, COOL!

Just please make sure my typos are corrected. I noticed a couple of them AFTER I made the post.

This is fun!!!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA, RPT

Are You Working? yes

I just took the RMA test and miss by one point. Is the retake exam be the same as the first time? Also, do anyone have the practice test?

Are You Still In School? yes

Re: RMA exam

I am planning on taking both certifications. Can you fill me in on the RMA exam. If you could I would appreciate it. I am organizing a study group for four girls who want to take the exam.

Thanks

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA, RMA

Are You Still In School? Yes, on externship

Are You Working? externship

What state do you live and work in? I am in Florida and am just studying to take both the CMA and the RMA exams. Give me your input please.

Thanks

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA, RMA

Are You Still In School? Yes, on externship

Are You Working? externship

Write me at llc_rma@yahoo.com for the AMT RMA Preview Exam. I have had it on my computer for the past few years.
And this computer does not allow me to get at email addresses when I click on "Email" so you have to contact me.

Gee then what is NRCMA I took the test at school and they said it was both, Like i am ceritified and i am National Reg. Made since to me the title has both in it. Yet i dont know, something is fishy about my school anyway that is why im asking. I am getting tired of all the different crap you have to do to try to get a job now days. Ha Im 40 and have been out of job market over12 years so it is different now then just going and getting your resume in you have to go online every where! Not good for someone who is not very good on a computer!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Dental Assistant also a NRCMA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Part time

If I took the test also and i am NRMA and A CMA when i get my interview and they ask if i can take x rays does that mean i can? In addition i am certified for xrays as a dental assistant. Does this count as a certification for xrays in a medical office too? Very confusing.

Why is it when i go to the hospitals they say they dont hire CMA either. This bugs me. Like i said i am NR and CMA

To be certified, you need to go to a school that has curriculum that allows you to sit for a certification exam. Any other school that does not have this curriculum will let you sit for a registration exam. There is a difference, but only by school and its curriculum. As far as I know, employers don't care what you have, as long as you went to school for medical assisting. I was told that certified medical assistants make more money, but I don't know if that is true. I currently go to a community college that allows me to sit for the certification exam. In Ohio there are only a few schools that allow you to do this.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: BA, student MA

Are You Working? yes

CMAs can either get their certificate (1 year) or Associate's degree (2 year). I am currently going to school to for medical assisting. We have to take English I and II, pharmacology, math, medical ethics, speech, and biology.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: BA, student MA

Are You Working? yes

Both credentials are recognized by the US Dept of Education, but most employers are only familiar with the CMA credential awarded by the AAMA. There are many organizations that will award credentials to medical assistants, but educating the employers as to which ones are reputable and provide a true measure of competency and knowledge assessment is the responsibility of the medical assistants working in the health care field. The AAMA is more proactive in promoting and supporting their members and happen to be better known in the healthcare field. Most employers think of the AMT (American Medical Technologists) as specific to medical technologists, not medical assistants.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA) PBT (ASCP) RMA RPT (AMT)

Are You Working? Yes

NO, things have not changed. The RMA credential awarded by AMT and the CMA credential awarded by AAMA are good in all 50 states. Too bad there are so many people out there who do not understand this one fact:

"CMA" is copyrighted by the AAMA. That is why all other organizations use the RMA credential. The tests are essentially the same and cover the same material.

The only other difference (and this is a difference in the ORGANIZATION, and NOT the CREDENTIAL: AMT will accept 5 years of experience to award the credential. AAMA will only award the credential if you sit for their test. Both tests of the AMT and AAMA cover the same material.

NEITHER the AMT nor the AAMA requires a degree of any kind.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA (AMT)

Are You Working? yes

In reply to BABP's message:

RMA's can get an associate degree, too.
It just depends on the SCHOOL you are attending.

Many schools that align with the AAMA are only one year programs and do not offer a degree, but yet the graduates can still sit for the exam and become CMA.

The degree is awarded by the SCHOOL that the student is attending, NOT the credentialing organization.

Are You Working? yes

BABP,

I notice you have a bachelor of arts degree (BA). What area is your degree in and from which university did you graduate? Why did you decide to go to school to be a medical assistant and opt for an associates degree when you could have gotten a second bachelor's degree?

If you already have a bachelor's degree, why must you retake English, speech and biology?

Are You Working? yes

There is essentially no difference, I have been an RMA for almost 26 years and have not had any issues finding work by being an RMA. I think that the AAMa caters more to the medical assistant than amt does since they include the labratory professionals as well.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA M.ed

Are You Working? yes

Getting "certified" or "registered" is voluntary. You can work as a MA if you have the training.

From what I understand, I went to a school that is not accredited thru AAMA, therefore I cannot be "CMA".(copyright)-- I can go to AMT and sit for RMA exam(which I'm studying for now) both tests are nationally recognized.

I went to school and work in one state and am preparing to move to Hawaii in a couple months. The jobs I've been searching for "prefer AAMA certified, but will consider Registered Medical Assistant". Others require a certain amount of work experience(excluding externship) to apply for the job.

I wanted to know if anyone has heard of CCMA-Certified Clinical Medical Assistant through National Healthcareers Association? This is another nationally recognized credential.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: About to sit for RMA Exam

Are You Working? Yes as MA

because you do not have to really have any prier education to be a RMA,just at least 5 years exp.but to be CMA you have to go trough an accredited school in order to recieve certification. most doctors like to know that their employees certified through a accerdited scool with all of the proper training

Are You Still In School? yes/ medical assisting/associates dagree

Are You Working? no

thank you .your post was very helpful to me

Your Professional Title/Credentials: student

Is one better than the other in WI

No they are both equal from different credentialing boards. RMA exam focuses more on hands on clinincal and the CMA focuses more on front office, administrative procedures.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: NRCMA/ NRCPT/RMA

Are You Working? YES

I'm in Charlotte, NC. I just completed an eight-month, VERY INTENSE, Medical Assisting program, including a two month externship at a private practice. I was then eligible to sit for the RMA exam and passed with a near-perfect score. The question came up several times during my training about what the differences were between RMA/CMA designation. We were told repeatedly that there is no difference in qualifications, just that the CMA title is older and more widely recognized, and for that reason has, until now, usually been paid more. RMA's are new on the scene and are quickly gaining notice by medical professionals and employers for their diversified training. We had to take all the courses you have seen mentioned in the threads above- Anatomy and Physiology, Medical Terminology, Law and Ethics, Exam Procedures/Techniques, Assisting with Minor Surgery, Medical Records (both Electronic and manual), Charting, Insurance Billing and Coding, Front Office/Clerical procedures, Scheduling, Medication Calculation/Administration, Patient Diversity/Communication, Venipuncture/Phlebotomy, Injection Administration, Lab Procedures, Sterile Tray set-up, First Aid, etc, etc, etc... not to mention all the HIPAA, CLIA, OSHA, and other training that was included. Lab hours included many, many blood-draws, EKG's, sterile injections, lab-tests (all by volunteering on each other!) As well as the two months of actual experience in a Dr's office. I came out of it with certification in CPR (AHA)and HIV training as well. Please trust me when I tell you... the MA program at the accredited school that I went to is no walk in the park. It's very intense, very accelerated, very comprehensive, and only the most dedicated and serious-minded should apply to a school with accreditation that is recognized by the AMT. The focus of the AMT Certification exam is to make doggone sure that the MA's they are certifying and putting in direct contact with patients are worth their salt, because they are trained to do SO MUCH. No joke... it's not a fly-by-night operation, and the medical community is just beginning to recognize the quality behind the RMA title. I'm finding it a little difficult to find a job because the MA profession has exploded and there are so many recent graduates/applicants. However, I have noticed that the job ads are asking for either/or CMA certification OR RMA certification. MOST places are now recognizing the skills/qualifications of both AT LEAST as equal, if not prefering RMA's. I haven't seen ANY that specified they wanted only a CMA.
I will be using my RMA certification and job experience as a springboard to an AS Degree in Cardiovascular Technology/Echo-Ultrasound, which is a much higher pay-grade. My particular school offered the Phlebotomy training/certification and the EKG training/certification, both by exams issued by the NHA, as part of the course. The directions I can go with my training are limitless, and I would encourage ANYONE looking to enter the medical field to begin with an accredited MA school. With job placement assistant services offered after graduation, you really can't go wrong.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Registered Medical Assistant, Certified Phlebotomist, Certified EKG Tech

Are You Working? Seeking work

Sorry, Kellyn. You are SOOOOOOO WRONG about the differences between a CMA(AAMA) and the RMA (AMT) credential. You stated a CMA was better because a CMA had to take classes like
"Human anatomy, physiology and pathology
·Medical terminology ·Keyboarding and computer applications · Recordkeeping and accounting ·Coding and insurance processing ·Laboratory techniques ·Clinical and diagnostic procedures ·Pharmacology ·Medication administration ·First aid · Office practices ·Patient relations. "

Well, guess what? If an individual attends a school that gives the RMA exam at the couse completion, that student will have gone through these very same classes.

The ONLY and I repeat ONLY difference between the CMA(AAMA) and RMA(AMT) certification is the name. AAMA has a COPYRIGHT on "Certified Medical Assistant." Do you people understand what a copyright is for?? There is also a LOT of confusion when the initials CMA stand for Certified Medication Aide, which is a nursing assistant that has taken additional classes to be qualified to pass meds in a long-term care facility.

The only other area of confusion I can see is who is QUALIFIED to sit for the exams. The AAMA does not allow individuals to sit for their exam unless that individual has attended a school that is either CAAHEP or ABHES certified. AAMA does not allow individuals who have OJT only to sit for the exam. However, AMT allows individuals with a minimun 5 years experience to sit for the AMT RMA exam.

Both the AMT and AAMA certification exams cover the SAME material. Don't you medical assistants even know what your duties are? If you don't I hope you are not practicing currently.

If you are still confused about this, go to your library and check out a test prep book for the medical assisting certification exams given by the AAMA and AMT. Most books mention both organizations.

(And I am not even going to mention the RMA certification given by the American Association of Medical Personnel) to keep from confusing you further.

A good idea would be to log onto the AMT and AAMA websites and get the current, CORRECT information.

Are You Working? YES

Suzanne, very good post. You have 'nailed' it and spelled it out nicely once again. Thanks.

Suzanne Ashmore
Sorry, Kellyn. You are SOOOOOOO WRONG about the differences between a CMA(AAMA) and the RMA (AMT) credential. You stated a CMA was better because a CMA had to take classes like
"Human anatomy, physiology and pathology
·Medical terminology ·Keyboarding and computer applications · Recordkeeping and accounting ·Coding and insurance processing ·Laboratory techniques ·Clinical and diagnostic procedures ·Pharmacology ·Medication administration ·First aid · Office practices ·Patient relations. "

Well, guess what? If an individual attends a school that gives the RMA exam at the couse completion, that student will have gone through these very same classes.

The ONLY and I repeat ONLY difference between the CMA(AAMA) and RMA(AMT) certification is the name. AAMA has a COPYRIGHT on "Certified Medical Assistant." Do you people understand what a copyright is for?? There is also a LOT of confusion when the initials CMA stand for Certified Medication Aide, which is a nursing assistant that has taken additional classes to be qualified to pass meds in a long-term care facility.

The only other area of confusion I can see is who is QUALIFIED to sit for the exams. The AAMA does not allow individuals to sit for their exam unless that individual has attended a school that is either CAAHEP or ABHES certified. AAMA does not allow individuals who have OJT only to sit for the exam. However, AMT allows individuals with a minimun 5 years experience to sit for the AMT RMA exam.

Both the AMT and AAMA certification exams cover the SAME material. Don't you medical assistants even know what your duties are? If you don't I hope you are not practicing currently.

If you are still confused about this, go to your library and check out a test prep book for the medical assisting certification exams given by the AAMA and AMT. Most books mention both organizations.

(And I am not even going to mention the RMA certification given by the American Association of Medical Personnel) to keep from confusing you further.

A good idea would be to log onto the AMT and AAMA websites and get the current, CORRECT information.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin

It really does depend. Take me for example--I just finished a 5-day certification training program and two of the girls in my program were RMAs. But, the reason they were going through the program is because they wanted to be NATIONALLY certified as oppose to just for their particular state. Honestly, I think the most important think is to get a certification/license that you can use in as many places as possible because it gives you more flexibility and options. I went through Medical Career Specialists and got a "promise to hire" before I even finished my 5-day program! You can read more about what they do at their website: www(dot)MedicalCareerSpecialists(dot)

Tell them I sent you!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Certified Clinical Medical Assistant

Are You Working? yes

MA_MISSY
It really does depend. Take me for example--I just finished a 5-day certification training program and two of the girls in my program were RMAs. But, the reason they were going through the program is because they wanted to be NATIONALLY certified as oppose to just for their particular state. Honestly, I think the most important think is to get a certification/license that you can use in as many places as possible because it gives you more flexibility and options. I went through Medical Career Specialists and got a "promise to hire" before I even finished my 5-day program! You can read more about what they do at their website: www(dot)MedicalCareerSpecialists(dot)

Tell them I sent you!!

A note of caution from the Forum Admin:
The above is an non-approved posting of a website that we have not reviewed, nor sanctioned. We generally do not like to see website URLs posted without approval since we really do not know, nor have any control over who the poster is. It could be a student, recruiter, faculty of a school, or could be disguised link SPAM from the owner of the site, posing as a satisfied customer, or student. We just really don't know!!!!!

While we cannot prevent anyone from posting an unapproved link to a for profit website, we do frown upon it and monitor further behaviors. We are a respected forum and we have remained SPAM free for years - a rarely accomplished task only very few forums can pride themselves in. Anyone who SPAMs this forum, whether through obvious ads, or subliminal, disguised advertising will be banned. Furthermore, we caution our forum members and remind them to do thorough research before signing up for ANYTHING on the Web.

Danni R., Forum Admin

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin

In Arizona you have to have an Associate's Degree to be certified. I had to complete the course work then take the test through AMT and I could on get the RMA because of the college I went through, but truly it is all a bunch of bull to me because where ever you decide to work you will have to train for that place and in Arizona you are not allowed to do much of anything so why be certified.

Are You Working? No

RMA's are no better than CMA's.. I took every course you mentioned on the reply plus some. I see as long as you have been to an accredited school and sit through the exam, both CMA and RMA have done just as much work as the other.... IT IS THE SAME!!!! neither is better than the other. It is the in the descrepincy of the employer to decide if they want to hire one over the other.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA (AAMA)

Are You Working? yes

Take the CMA (AAMA). why take both when the one covers all states??

Are You Working? yes

Sorry Abba,, where i work I do everything.. give shots, blood draws, drug screens, breathalizers, EKG's.. I am there all alone in the evenings and on Saturdays with just a Nurse Practicioner. I am pretty much my own boss. I love it.

Are You Working? yes

A RMA is someone who passed the AMT exam. A CMA has passed the AAMA exam. You are only registered or certified once you pass the exam. As a medical assistant student in college, with a 4.0 gpa, I studied Anatomy 1&2, physiology 1&2, Terminology 1&2, pharmacology 1&2, ICD9& CPT coding & insurance billing, beginning computers, help2 software, office procedures 1, as well as college 101 Math & English, Medical Law & Ethics, BLS CPR&AED certification, Psychology, Pathology, phlebotomy 1&2, Lab procedures 1&2, and had to complete a 160 internship before I could take the AMT exam & graduate.

Which here in Utah CMAs are only required to take part 1 of the required courses. RMAs are also required to take part 2. Depending on the school. Some schools only teach part 1 in some courses. If your college also teaches part 2, then you diffenately notice the difference in tuition

So, I don't agree that a RMA is less than a CMA!!! The only difference is the stupid letters "C&R" and employers or potential employers need to pull their heads out and realize that!!

I have worked with both "C&R" MAs and the difference was the person in general, not their credentials! It doesn't matter what letters you put after your name if you are not a people person, don't like blood or sick people then you shouldn't become either!!!

As a MA recruiter, I don't care about the "C&R". What I look for is a trained, qualified applicant who interviews well, are compassionate & devoted to providing quality patient care. I don't care what they look like on paper.

Also, make sure your training includes BLS CPR&AED certification, and whatever you get C or R make sure you keep up your CEUs & maintain your certification.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CNA,RMA

Are You Working? yes

Hi everyone,

First of all, I would like to thank you all for clearing up a few misconceptions that I had regarding this whole situation. I am currently in the process of completing my Externship for my MA program. I have started applying for jobs, and unfortunately have had no luck. I recently received a "Thank you for applying but we regret to inform you that" letter. It basically stated that because my school was not in cahoots with the AAMA that I was not qualified for the position. I find it very sad that even though I will take my RMA exam that I may not be able to find a job because of the bias that a CMA is somehow more qualified then a RMA. I live northern Maine. I am thinking that in certain states they still have that old fashioned way of thinking? Does anyone have any thoughts on this? How can this double standard exist? And can it be legal? Thanks again everyone! You've been extraordinarily helpful.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Working? No

Both CMA (American Association of Medical Assistants) and RMA American Medical Technologists) require that you complete a program that is accredited by either ABHES (the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools) or CAAHEP (Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs). If the program you attended is not eligible for CMA it not eligible for RMA either. Both CMA and RMA are certified titles, the main difference is that they come from two different certifying agencies but the credential has the same value.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA Extern

Are You Still In School? no, but am doing my externship

To qualify for RMA(AMT) certification:

1. Applicant shall be of good moral character.

2. Applicant shall be a recent graduate of, or scheduled to graduate from:

A. A medical assistant program that holds programmatic accreditation by (or is in a post-secondary school or college that holds institutional accreditation by) the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES) or the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP), or

B. A medical assistant program in a post-secondary school or college that has institutional accreditation by a Regional Accrediting Commission or by a national accrediting organization approved by the U.S. Department of Education, which program includes a minimum of 720 clock-hours (or equivalent) of training in medical assisting skills (including a clinical externship of no less than 160 hours in duration), or

C. A formal medical services training program of the United States Armed Forces.

For Routes 2A, 2B or 2C, if the applicant graduated within the last four years, proof of work experience is not required. If graduated over four years ago, proof of current work experience is required.

D. Applicant shall have been employed in the profession of medical assisting for a minimum of five (5) years, no more than two (2) years of which may have been as an instructor in the post secondary medical assistant program (proof of current work experience and high school education or equivalent are required). Employment dates must be within the last five (5) years.

E. Applicant has passed a generalist medical assistant certification examination offered by another medical assisting certification agency (provided that exam has been approved for this purpose by the AMT Board of Directors) and who has been working in the medical assisting field for the past three out of five years and who has met all other AMT training and experience requirements (no further examination required).

These are the ways you can qualify to take your RMA exam through the AMT. The ONLY way to qualify for the CMA exam through the AAMA is if you have graduated from a program accredited by the ABHES or CAAHEP. This is why I am taking my RMA, but the Hospital that I applied at apparently doesn't understand that the CMA and RMA credentials are basically the same thing. I feel that this is unfair. Has anyone else had this issue?

Are You Working? Externship

Hi there, You can not call yourself a Medical Assistant until you're down with all your classes, and you have completely finished your externship and have graduated from your Medical Assistant program.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: NCMA, (NCCT), AS

Are You Still In School? No.

Are You Working? Yes.

So, what do medical assistants who haven't gone to school for medical assisting title themselves with? Are they not worthy of credentials? I was simply trying to find out if anyone else has had the same issues that I have been having during a job search.

I don't know where you got your info but you're mis-informed.
The schooling I got had the same components you mentioned
that supposedly where taught for people going for the CMA.
The only RMA Vs CMA difference is the accrediting board who offers the test either AAMA or AMT, thats all.The AAMA of course say their credentialing is the gold standard because they have been around longer.

I am in a CMA course. I am studying law/ethics, office procedures as well. True, microbiology is not in the curriculum, that is more lab work than anything (though, I plan on getting training later on for that). My degree plan includes comp and ret, algebra, computer science and college algebra (among other degree basics, which I have from previous college work). There are some differences in the instructional skills paths. But, really, I don't see any major differences between RMA and CMA credentials. Whichever way one decides to go, go for it. As long as you learn your job well, and remember that its the patients' well being that is the most important. Not the letters behind your name.

Are You Working? no

1 2 3