This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Are any of you starting IVs or performing IV infusion?

This is new to medical assistants and I just wondered if any of you have been trained in it and are doing it in your state. If you are, please list what state you work in. Thanks, Karrie

Are You Still In School? CMA, RMA

Re: Are any of you starting IVs or performing IV infusion?

Well we haven't learned this yet, I think we'll touch on it though. From what I understand, we can do this if our Dr. trains us on it.

we are learning cathaters anyone doing that?

Are You Still In School? sma

I did not learn this in school. I am learning catheters in 1st year nursing school. We don't start IV's until 3rd semester, although I have started one as an MA, after attending a seminar.

Are You Still In School? CMA/ RMA/ CNA

I do IVs all the time...

Are You Still In School? RMA, BMO

Revised CAAHEP standards and guidelines for Medical Assisting Educational Programs indicate that a the curriculum of an accredited program must now include the principles of IV therapy. However, according to the AAMA, a medical assistant is allowed to place an IV line, initiate an IV line, and administer IV medications only after having received proper appropriate training, and only as permitted by state law!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Admin

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

This is a great point, Danni. MAs should be thuroughly trained in theory and practice before performing infusions. I had 20 credit hours in IV Therapy before I even thought about infusing on patients. There is MUCH, much more behind the practice of infusions than most think: it's not just canulating the pt and observing. One should understand the mechanisms of action behind the effects infusions evoke in the human body, and modifications/interventions that can be utilized to make infusions patient-centric (putting the individual pt's care first).
Also, some states do not permit MA to practice infusions, even with training.
My moto: research, learn, educate...

Thanks for the insight!

Found this on the Internet. It pertains to the state of California.

Is Your Medical Assistant Practicing
Beyond His or Her Scope of Training?
http://www.rn.ca.gov/practice/pdf/npr-b-41.pdf

=============================================

Medical assistants may not place the needle or start and disconnect the infusion tube of an IV.These procedures are considered invasive, and therefore, not within the medical assistants scope of practice . Medical assistants are not allowed to administer medications or injections into the IV line. (CC1366(b)(1)).

Reference: STATE OF CALIFORNIA – STATE AND CONSUMER SERVICES AGENCY
NPR-B-41 02/02

Medical assistants are unlicensed, and may only
perform basic administrative, clerical and technical
supportive services as permitted by law.

“An unlicensed person may not perform any
task that is invasive or requires assessment.”

Medical assistants are not allowed to perform
such invasive procedures as:
􀂃 placing the needle or starting and
disconnecting the infusion tube of an
IV.
􀂃 administering medications or
injections into the IV line.
􀂃 charting the pupillary responses.
▪ inserting a urine catheter.
▪ independently performing telephone
triage.
▪ injecting collagen.
▪ using lasers to remove hair, wrinkles,
scars, moles or other blemishes.
▪ administering chemotherapy.

Are You Working? Yes

Karmaadm,

Anyplace I could find a list of where MA's are allowed to do IV's? I'd love to get trained/certified in this.

Lorraine
CMA,CNA

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA, CNA

Are You Working? Yes

I would definately check your state's dept. of health website. This would be the best, and most reliable place to find out what MAs can/cannot do. If your state has no definition of scope of practice for MAs, then you should be ok. Just make sure to check (call them, if you can't find anything on the website)!
As far as finding training, I went back to school for EMT, because there were only a few companies offering IV for MAs then. I wanted to make sure that the training I received was so good that no one could question my ability to perform the task.
Check your local community college for classes...also, there's Medtex.com, who offers a 4 day seminar.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA, BMO

Re: Re: Are any of you starting IVs or performing IV infusion?

I was going to suggest EMT also. EMT-Intermediates, from my experience, are trained in IVs and can work as ER techs because they are IV certified. Even if you would not be able to do it in the office setting for whatever reason, you might be able to pick up some prn work as an ER tech and stay current. It probably pays as well or more as you are making right now - still can't believe that you live in the Northeast and they are paying you what they are.

Heck, maybe you could convince your OM to help pay for the EMT-I class if they would allow you to use some of your new skills in the clinic.

Good luck.

And also, in addition to the above, remember this...

The Medical Practice Act and the Board of Medical Examiners govern the practice of medicine to protect the health, safety, and well being of citizens! These boards have ruled that physicians are accountable for the actions of medical assistants under their employ. Therefore a good place to start asking questions regarding the medical assistant's scope of practice is the State Board of Medical Examiners.

Robyn,

You're learning to insert catheters???? What state are you in? Are you talking about the THEORY of it or clinical? Sorry, but that's a bit scary if it's clinical and sounds out of the scope of practice for a MA big time. Danni, am I wrong here?

If it's clinical, I hope you're not practicing on each OTHER! (JOKING)

Lorraine
CMA, CNA

Are You Working? Yes

Its not out of the scope of practice for EMTs to start IVs. If I were a 8-month-diploma MA, then yeah, it would be...

In Urgent Care, you see several people each week, who come in with life-threatening conditions (instead of first going to the ER--don't ask me why?!). It's our job to stabilize them until paramedics transport them to the ER. I was really frustrated by watching pts slip away, because transport takes so long. Thats why I decided to go back to school, for EMT.

The important thing about our field is that we always recognize the pts need for quality, prompt medical care. If that care is outside of our ability to offer, we need to find a way to better ourselves.

Also, I think that alot of MAs are hung-up on their scope of practice (and the scope of practice of OTHERS). With that said, alot of people don't even know truly and definitely what THEIR scope of practice IS!

So please, don't point the scope-of-practice finger before knowing the facts...it really doesn't look or sound very intelligent...

"So please, don't point the scope-of-practice finger before knowing the facts...it really doesn't look or sound very intelligent... "

I'm just wondering whom this is directed to?

Lorraine
CMA, CNA

Are You Working? Yes

um. yeah. I thought you were referring to urinary catheters. There must have been some misunderstanding. It sounds like it was directed at you but I really cannot see why.

LMAO. Misunderstanding??? Yeah!
I'm so sorry, Lorraine; I thought you were scolding me for performing IVs. I've gotten so much flack from other MAs and ALOT of nurses, who say that MAs can't perform infusions, even if they're EMTs.
But, I have inserted urinary catheters once, as an MA...
I give to you my most extreme apology!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA, BMO

To dl,

Yeah, that's what I was wondering too. lol...

To karmaadm,

No problem, I just couldn't figure why it was directed at me if it was.

Lorraine
CMA, CNA

Are You Working? Yes