This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ethical Dilemma at school

We had our med math exam today. We need 85% to pass, yet have 3 chances total before the semester. Well they offered a math workshop a few times for people who were having problems to help prepare for the exam. Yesterday the teacher ( a seperate math instructor, not our nursing teacher) handed out an old test for people to use for practice. Turns out this was the EXACT test we were given today!! One of the students who got it yesterday noticed it and informed the teacher during the exam ( who is not happy). Now is the dilemma. We don't know how she will handle it. Those of us ( myself included) who did not get this test don't want to have to take another exam, but those who did get it, got an unfair advantage. We do have to show our work and how we came to our conclusions.

What is your opinion about this?

Are You Still In School? CMA/ RMA/ CNA

Re: Ethical Dilemma at school

Tracy? How did she end up handling it?

When I took A&P the instructor put old tests on reserve, and while they were never the exact test given, many of the questions were the same.

I think that as long as work was shown, the test should be counted. I can't imagine anyone being able to memorize all of the test from the day before. Even with the extra help, you have to have some idea of how to do the work if you pass the test.

We all had to take a new exam the following week. That was the only way to make it fair I guess. As a matter of fact, due to this 1/3 of the class failed it. Those people were quite upset they had to retake it! LOL
This is a make or break test though. If you don't get 85% you have to repeat the whole semester. You get 3 tries ( This is nursing school BTW).

Are You Still In School? CMA/ RMA/ CNA

Hope you did well on it!

I guess the re-test was a good idea then, if people ended up failing the re-test. Dosage calculations are sooo important.

I would have done the same thing. If no advantage was gained by having the test before-hand, the people who did well should have had the same or better results with the re-test and those who did not know the material would have scored lower.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: instructor

Are You Still In School? y

Are You Working? y

I did fine- 100%. It has just turned into a soap opera with all of the drama! * sigh*

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA/ RMA/CNA /SN

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? Yes

As an instructor, I would invalidate the test and create a new one for everyone. Yes, that is punishing the innocent as well as the guilty but how do you know which are guilty. You certainly can't use the honor system can you. OK all of you who had a copy of the test raise your hand and you will have to take another test. Yeah that's going to work. (sarcasm intended).

The other instructor was wrong to give a copy of the old test to the students. However, your instructor should have known that previous students would have copies of their own tests and students do share what they have with others. So he/she should have created a new test. I know that's a pain in the neck to do at times and we get lazy and just go with the one we already have instead of making a new one each time but to maintain integrity in the system and ensure students are not receiving copies of the tests you have given and will give again, we as instructors need to create a new test each time.

Chris

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Instructor for CMA\\'s and SST\\'s

Are You Still In School? Yes as an instructor

Are You Working? Yes

I have seen a number of schools and each one handles things a bit different -- of course. One school's policy was to return graded quizzes to students just long enough so they can review the results and go over them, jot down their score, and then hand the graded papers back to the instructor.

The instructor would keep all quizzes until the student graduates. The reason for this method is to prevent sharing of quizzes between students who have not yet taken their exams. "Cheat sheet prevention"!!!

At the school where I was a MA student (Porter and Chester Institute) we got to keep all quizzes. What I liked about getting to keep my quizzes was that I could use them as review/study material to prepare for my finals. That was very helpful to me. An we NEVER cheated -- as far as I know. LMAO. Not I anyway.

That's not to say others won't. I am sure it goes on.
Not fair to the rest of the students and down the road to the employer and patients.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Admin

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

Danni, It's never us , it's always the other guy or gal isn't it? LOL

At least it was back when I went to school and that seems to be a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. Hard to believe I've been doing this for more than 35 years since leaving college.

Chris

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Instructor for CMA's and SST's

Are You Still In School? Yes as an instructor

Are You Working? Yes