This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
E.R. Tech Duties

I'll be graduating in May of 2006, and I wanted to know what are the job duties of an E.R. Tech? I've been trying to decide on a position so that I can do my internship. Or anybody with comments on where/how your internship experience was, would be greatly appreciated.

Are You Still In School? Studying to be a Medical Assistant

Re: E.R. Tech Duties

Not sure, although I do know they usually like to hire EMT-Intermediates for the position. So I believe you will have to get IV training to work as an er tech. I might be wrong though, but this is what I have seen.

I currently do agency work as an ER Tech. I do everything I learned in MA school (except injections) and then some. We of course do vital signs, help with triage, ekg's, phlebotomy, ua and preg. testing, wound care and dressings, splints, removing iv's, patient transport and charting. I'm sure you will need to check your state's scope of practice, but this is alot of the stuff we do in Washington state, in some hospitals I even do foley catheters.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA, ER TECH

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

Is the pay higher as an ER Tech?

I am starting work in January as an ER Tech and I will be doing vitals, monitoring cardiac pts, starting IVs, and assisting with procedures.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Still In School? For nursing

Are You Working? yes

I forgot..we also have to deal with chest tubes.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Still In School? For nursing

Are You Working? yes

Hi

I worked as an ER Tech. I helped triage patients, full sets of vitals, preg tests, mono tests, cultures of all kinds, strep tests, alcohol/drug tests, full UAs, blood draws, finger sticks, heel sticks, placing patients on monitors, doing EKGs, inserting/removing foley catheters, disconnecting IVs, helping place NG tubes, emptying foleys, JP drains, removing sutures, operating oxygen tanks, using nebulizers, doing ear washes, nasal washes, straight catheters, removing cervical collars once patients were cleared, transporting patients to floors, or to procedures, assisting in all codes, post mortem care, assisting in intubations, lumbar punctures, dealing with psych patients, helping to put patients in restraints, soft restraints to four point leather restraints, splints, casts, and wraps and putting on bandaids and hugs for the people who needed it. and that is just the stuff I can think of off the top of my head, I know I left stuff out. As an ER tech, you will learn a great deal about humanity, and the big thing you will learn
is to take each day as it comes and to knot sweat all the small stuff in life, and even bigger than that? NOTHING will surprise you ever again.
Take care
Lynne

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

hey swimmergirrl, I emailed you a few questions I had. Hope you don't mind.