This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Chosing LPN program or Medical asisting?

I am enrolled to start a associate degree medical assisting program this month and I am trying to decide is medical assisting even worth it or should I just go for an LPN program? I think medical assisting sounds awesome you have so many choices of what to do front office, back office, work in the lab ect. But I am wondering is it the type of career you will be happy with? I want to do a program that I will be satisfied with and I don't want to goto school again at least not for a long time. The school I am considering is $30,800 WOW! It includes all your books, they set up your classes and provide all your supplies while in school except your paper, pens, and shoes you will need for your clinicals. It sounds soooo expensive but everyone is telling me if I do the medical assisting route it is best to do the associate degree program b/c it pays more and you have more opportunites. So my question is it true that an associate degree is better? Is it worth the cost I am going to have to spend to get it? Is medical assisting all it's talked up to be? OR should I just go into nursing? Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: C.N.A

Are You Still In School? i will be?

Are You Working? yes

Re: Chosing LPN program or Medical asisting?

I think it depends on what you really want to do. If you want to do front office, lab and back MA is the way to go. If you think you may want to branch out from clinic to hospital or LTC, then LPN would be the way to go. Also if you ever think you'll go back to get your RN, LPN's can bridge in to the second year where MA's cannot. Good luck with your choice.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA/ RMA/CNA /SN

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? Yes

ok, I think I can help. I went to school for MA in 1994 and then went back for lpn in 2004. I can tell you that there is a big difference in the 2. MA's work in doctors office and the salary will cap out usually around $15 hr unless you are able to move to a management position. LPN are nurses and are licensed. LPN program will focus on hospital care,but you can work in a doctors office, va clinic, long term care etc. LPN salary will cap out around $25. As an LPN you also have the advantage of 'bridging over to the RN" program if you choose. Choosing which program depends on your needs, education level and career goals. As for me, I have worked as a ma & lpn and make much more money then a lpn. I can supervise unlicesnsed personnel "MA", but a ma cannot supervise a licensed nurse.
What concerns me about your question is the cost of the ma school. For $30k you could go to school for a bachelors or masters in nursing...that tuition is way to much money!!!! Sounds like a rib off. If you are interested in going for your ma, try looking at your local community or vocational college. A ma program should not cost more then $5000, if you pay more then that you have been ripped off.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: LPN

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

Funny you asked that as the thread I started down a bit about clinical staff in the office was kind of a twist on your question.

This gets a little long -sorry!

At this point, I really want the hours of an office position, but there is an LPN program that would take only 6-8 mos longer (not counting any potential wait list) than the MA program and the cost would work out around the same once daycare was counted in (the LPN program is at community college, the MA at a private school) and it would be around $15,000 (max for MA and maybe a little less - the school is $9000 and how much daycare I need will depend on the class hours and whether I can do my externing part time or full time)

In my thread I started, I was curious to get a general idea of whether offices had LPNs on staff and in what ratio to MAs. Nursing is not my long term goal, so for me I think I will stick with the MA program as I have observed these two things: 1. There are more MAs in offices than LPNs, therefore, more possibilites for getting hired in an office, and 2. Where I live, there are jobs for MD office LPNs that pay $11.50-$12 per hour - the CMAs start at about $9 to $10 per hour.

If I really wanted to do nursing, it would be an easier choice. But nursing is not my goal. MA is not my end goal either, but for me it seems to be a more enjoyable way to get some experience in the mean time. Plus, MA school is faster and for me (since I have taken A&P twice already -the one for RNs, plus the computer classes, pathophysiology, office protocol, coding, and transcription) a decent part of it will be a review, so I think I will still have time for my family while in MA school.

So I think it depends on what your goal is in the end, plus where you want to work, plus how much you need the money since salaries definitely are different. In addition, $30,800 is darn high. I would have a hard time paying that much knowing what kind of pay MAs get.

Most MAs turned LPNs or RNs will tell you to go straight to nursing. If you do decide to go MA first but want to be a nurse later, see if you can take the higher level science classes so they can transfer into a nursing program. Where I live, MA students, LPN students, and RN students all take different A&P classes, and they do not transfer up.

As far as associate degree vs. not, I have heard a CMA is a CMA is a CMA. That is just what I have heard.

Good luck with your decision.

Are You Still In School? not yet

Are You Working? yes - not as an MA

Go for the RN!!!

First, if your MA assoc degree is two years, you could be in RN in that time and have a much wider scope and better pay!

I did half of an LPN program before I had to move to Michigan. LPN's from what I can see in the hospital setting, LPN's are being phased off of the floors and being replaced by patient care techs--otherwise known as--MA's! You will not regret skipping the LPN step and going on to RN but every LPN I know regrets not just pushing on for the RN.

I have been in your position before and if I could do it all again, I'd go for RN. At the community college level you can do your entire schooling for under $10,000!

Good luck!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: medical assistant

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

I am in a MA program and am changing over to LPN program in a month or less. I have been doing a LOT of researching and find that for me the LPN is a better to route to go. But it depends on what your long term goals are. I cant fathom the idea of going to school full time for a year and half to come out and make 12 bucks an hour or less! Where I live (Illinois) LPN's start out at around 18 and more if you work for an agency. You can always bridge over to a RN program later and be able to take some prereqs online if you choose. Also, there is usually a big waiting list for RN programs but if you are already a LPN it will be much easier to get into such programs.

The downside to LPN/RN training is the schooling is much more difficult and much more time consuming. I was told that I should expect not to work during the 15 month LPN program because sometimes I will be spending 8 to 12 hours a day on labs,clinicals, etc. LPN's are being phased out of hospitals but jobs are really opening up in LTC and home health and I havent heard a single LPN tell me that they cant find a job opposed to many MA's that tell me they cant!

I was told that MA's are booming as well but when I look through the job ads in the newspaper and online I see a lot of openings for LPNs/RNs and CNA's. Imagine going through a year or more of training as a MA and not be able to find a job and you could have went through a 4 week CNA program and find a job very easy with almost the same pay!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA School 3rd semester

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no

FYI- I just finished my first semester of an ADN program. I can sit for LPN boards in January. Our clinicals consisted of 3 days a week, from 7-12. In the fall they will be twice a week from 2-9 pm, then another 5 weeks from 6am-1. The schedule is crazy, especially finding someplace to take your kids that early in the morning.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA,RMA, CNA, SN

Are You Working? yes

I am in the MA program and I seriously wished I had just gone ahead and tried to go for RN since that is my goal and the private college I attend is way to EXPENSIVE! The starting pay for MA's here is $12 an hour and its gonna take me forever to pay off the remainder of my tuition. I do plan on going straight into the RN program no matter what, I am lucky my parents are willing to help some with the payments even though we live in different states. The only problem around where I live is the waiting lists for the RN programs. Oh and so far I havent found any colleges willing to transfer any of my credits I've earned.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Graduate as a MA in June 2007

Are You Working? No

None of my credits transferred either, and it was a 4 year waiting list. Blah.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA,RMA, CNA, SN

Are You Working? yes

I was an LPN or 2.5 yrs and got my RN in May. LPN's usually make the most money in nursing homes. That will require you to clean up people who have soiled themselves. Every other weekend and some holidays are required. It's hard to get into a hospital when you have a LPN (at least in my state). LPN's can get hired in offices but they usually make less. Or if you want to be a LPN and work in an office while you get your RN online. Most RN schools don't have evening classes so that's why i said go online for you RN.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RN

Are You Working? yes

oh and i forgot to mention if you're a LPN in a nursing home if the nurse for the next shift doesn't come in you are mandated to stay for the next shift. if you refuse that is called patient abandonment and you could loose your license.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RN

Are You Working? yes

ma or lpn? well I have done both and believe me there is a HUGE difference in education between them...If you want to work in a doctors office and you can find an affordable ma school then go for it, but you could go to school for the same amount of time and cost and become a lpn. I am a lpn who works in a doctors office and there are many doctors office who have to have licensed nurses on staff because there are procedures, medications etc that ma's cannot do legally. so, it is not true that doctors offices do not use licensed nurses, also lpn's can work in hospitals, ltc, health departments, va etc whereby a ma cannot because they are not licensed. There are more options to work in different settings for a lpn then a ma..All that being said, ma is not a bad profession. I was a ma before I went back to school to become a lpn. I went to ma school in 1994 because the waiting list for lpn/rn was 2-3 years. Approximately 8 years later I returned to school for the lpn program. I know a lot of people who go this route...ma school will get your foot in the door for healthcare...you can find out if this is what you want to do...you can always go back to school later if you choose.
I would suggest that you go to your local vocational/community college and talk with the advisors. ask the advisors if you can talk with the lpn/ma students to get their perception on the program. this way you can find out which program will meet your needs...
l.lopez lpn

Your Professional Title/Credentials: lpn

Are You Working? yes

I agree Lori. I became an MA in 1993 and am now going back for RN. Hopefully in January I'll have my LPN. It offers many more job options IMO.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA/ CNA/ SN

Are You Working? yes

I for one am getting very discouraged hearing of all the MA on this forum unhappy with their positions and wanting to jump to LPN's and other fields-- especially now that I am obligated to start MA classes next month. I joined this forum because it was a MA forum and I wanted to find out more information on this wonderful profession, not all this negativity towards the field. Sorry for the rant but I don't have much time left in my career to keep reading post on how I am going in the wrong direction. I guess I will just have to suck it up and let the chips fall were they may.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Laid off from Sony Electronics.

Are You Still In School? Just starting in the fall.

Are You Working? no

I never said I was disappointed in my choice in becoming an MA. I love working as an MA. For me, I wanted to expand my knowledge. It had nothing to do with finding jobs, enjoying my job, or anything like that. I have had nothing but a positive experience since receiving my certification :)

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA/ CNA/ SN

Are You Working? yes

I'm with you Frank. Everyone who has responded has his/her eyes on greener grasses. Makes me wonder why I should even visit this MA page, IF it is an MA website at all. Sounds more like a website for RN/LPN wannabees. Sheesh!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MT

Are You Working? yes

As the owner and administrator I should step in to say that I do NOT approve or agree with the above comment (by flower). I will keep a very close eye on how this thread develops.

Needless to say: everybody, please resist the temptation to flame!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Site Admin

I do not think there is ma bashing going on, but rather an open discussion of options and choices regarding career and education. I think that everyone should be as knowledgeable as possible before choosing a healthcare program. They should find out what is the average salary, growth potential, duties, work enviroment etc and then decide if that is right fit for them.
As for me, I read the ma forums because I supervise 8 ma's in my office and would like to know about any current trends, education etc for ma's.

I would like to add one piece of advise for anyone thinking about going to school for medical assisting...check out the reputation of the school. Is it an accredited school or is it a mom and pop school? These so called 6 month programs do not provide adequate training and produce inferior medical assistants.
Georgia has 'technical colleges" that are owned by the state and they offer medical assistant program...they produce awesome medical assistants, which are very professional and knowledable. If I see that an ma graduated from one of the state run schools, I will usually call them back for an interview.

The opposite is true of the 'diploma mill' schools. These short ma programs are not selective in who can go into the program...if you have a pulse, and financing..you are in the program.
I usually throw those resumes in the trash. The externs that have come to our office from these 6 months programs are 'idiots'...I hate to use that word but it is true. Those schools have bad reputation with doctors offices and usually they have a difficult time finding a job.

If you have decided to go to school for medical assisting please be very selective as to which school you enroll. It is much wiser to choose an ma school that is a little longer in length but has a good reputation and is accredited...your career depends on it.
l.lopez lpn

Are You Working? yes

Lori, thank you for addressing this very important issue. I have been writing extensively on exactly this topic in the past.

Here is what Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) says about this:

CHEA Fact Sheet # 6. Important Questions about "Diploma Mills" and "Accreditation Mills".

http://www.chea.org/pdf/fact_sheet_6_diploma_mills.pdf

----------------------------------

Anybody interested in what I had to say can read it here:

Medical Assistant Net Blog Log
http://www.medicalassistantnet.blogspot.com

and
Medical Assistant Net "Hidden Pitfalls..."
http://www.medicalassistant.net/online_education.htm

Otherwise "ditto" to Lori's advice above!!!

Danni R.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Site Admin

OMG- PLEASE GO TO LPN SCHOOL!!! If you go to a medical assistant school thats all you will ever be. If you go to lvn school you can work any and everywhere. Plus lvn school is a door way to being a registered nurse. I now have to go back to school and take all this lvn stuff just to become a registered nurse and it sucks bad!!! Medical Assistant school is for people who only wanna be just that a medical assiatnt for life. To be an rn you will have to go threw lvn school and then rn school. Where as if you just took lvn to begin wqith you would be a step a head of the game. For me Medical Assiatnt school was a scam...It has no room for advancement. And every job here in Texas including doctors offices prefers lvn to medical assiatnt go figure that!!!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Medical Assistant/Phlebotomist

Are You Working? yes

You are only limited in your career, if you believe you are limited. Everyone wants to move up the career ladder and for ma's it is usually 'managment'.

I am a lpn nurse manager in a doctors office, but the
'office manager' is a medical assistant.

l.lopez lpn

Are You Working? yes

GO FOR LPN GOOD LUCK........

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Still In School? NO

Are You Working? LOOKING TO LAND A JOB IN MED.ASST. INTERVIEW AUG 30,2006

Hi,

I would first like to say, yes this is a personal decision. Consider these questions:

1)What is your goal?

2) Are you settling because you can not afford to go to LPN/RN school at this time and want to get your foot in the door?

3)Consider your location, is the need of MA or LPN or RN greater?

The answer to some basic questions should help. I am a medical assist with many years of exp. I have gone back to school for medical transcription and in the process of finishing school for Medical Coding and Billing. MA is a great stepping stone and my exp clinical, clerical have been wonderful. Each position brought training. I continue to learn. Can I admin medication or start an IV? No! Did I ever want too? No! Where I have worked, that was the only difference. Oh just alittle bit of info. I was the one the Dr.s asked to train the LPN's when they came on to the floor re: UA's, Rapid Streps, Wet Preps, Ear Irrigations, EKG's and much more. I do think the MA's get a more well rounded education that are needed to run a clinic everyday. I am still asked: "Why don't you just go for your RN?" People will not understand that I am happy, I have a goal and it is not to be an LPN or RN. It never was. So go to school, whether MA is your stepping stone to get your foot in the door with an goal in the future of more education how can that be bad! Don't look at $$$$$, if your doing this, maybe you should rethink of what your goals really are. Just asking! You need to be happy, this is your career.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Medical Assistant

Are You Working? yes

I will be starting school in the Spring for my RN. I have been a Medical Assistant for 7 years. I enjoyed being a medical assistant but at the same time I have always wanted to be a nurse. I want to work in the mother/baby unit. What I am trying to say is that you got to do what makes you happy. If being a MA makes you happy then go for it. I was ready for change and growth. I couldn't move up as a MA. I didn't want to be an office manager. I want the hospital working with the babies. Do what makes you happy. It is all about what you WANT IN LIFE!!!!!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Registered Medical Assistant

Are You Still In School? Just enrolled for Spring 2007

Are You Working? No

I have a question for anyone here that seems to know what they are talking about. I am thinking about a Medical Career. Can anyone tell me how the ladder of Medical Professional goes?
Like for example RN #1, then comes? Reason being, a friend of mine is a Medical Asistant and she argued about Medical Assistant being the top from LPN. I thought LPN was higher than a Medical Asistant. Who is right? Please reply.

Are You Working? YES

Hi Gee,

Medical Assistant and LPN are two seperate job titles.

Within the clinical setting I have been in, the LPN's do the same duties as MA's with the exception of the following:

Starting IV's
Admin Medication.
See Pt "Wart Tx"

Medical Assistants can obtain training to start IV's but there is an issue with Admin Medication. MA's are only scheduled pt for blood draw and routine IMM and Allergy injections.

You see, it is hard to say who is right because the positions are different same as Dr.'s/Nurses. Not sure if I helped. Good Luck.

Are You Working? yes

But isn't there a big difference in pay between an LPN and an MA? They may do similar duties but it seems like LPNs get a LOT more. Please correct me if I am wrong,someone.
This is not to suggest that one should go for nursing to make better money but for the thinking that MAs are above LPNs.

Are You Working? No

Around here there is a $2-3 difference.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA/CNA/SN

Are You Working? yes

Ma or Lpn?
That will depend on your ultimate goal. If you want to work in office setting then the ma program is your best bet. If you want to have a few more options as far as work venues - long term care, prisons/jails, hospitals, doctor offices, then maybe you should consider lpn. You really need to do your research and investigate which program you want to do before you committ to either one. Just be careful with 'private' schools that have ma programs. They can cost the same if not more then lpn or rn programs. The best advice I can give you is to go to your local 'government/state/city' run technical school or community college for your program of choice. This will ensure that you are not being overcharged, that the school is legit and accredited.
Here in the state of Georgia the lpn and ma program at the technical colleges cost the same...approximately $4000. The programs are also the same amount of time...15 months.

I always give this advice to people who are intereted in ma/lpn/rn programs.... Go to your local barnes/nobles, borders bookstore etc, and go to the medical reference section. There you will find books for ma's and lpn's. By reviewing these books (nclex for the lpn and certification for ma), it should give you a idea/feeling of what each one has as far as scope of practice, responsibility, knowledge etc. This should help you in choosing what is right for you.
Lorianne

Are You Working? yes

Ann,

I did not mean to ruffle your feathers, I was stating that the two positions are simular where I have worked and not suggesting by any means that one position is "more important" or "above" anyone else. We both have our positions and work together. The training is different and LPN's are recognized by the state lic board.

Are You Working? yes

The pay for an LPN vs MA in a Doc's office is the same here in Maryland. We both make anywhere from $12-$18/hr. I currently make $15.50/hr and it's more the some LPNs do. But, with that said if your goal is Pt care only (not management) I would go for the LPN as you will be able to work in acute, LTC and homecare as well. But remember LPN's no not get a degree

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA, DT, CNA

Are You Working? yes

does anyone know where can i get a LPNprogram i live in georgia(austell)

Are You Working? no

Vonsay wrote last May:
"I was told that MA's are booming as well but when I look through the job ads in the newspaper and online I see a lot of openings for LPNs/RNs and CNA's. Imagine going through a year or more of training as a MA and not be able to find a job and you could have went through a 4 week CNA program and find a job very easy with almost the same pay!"

That is extremely interesting and I am afraid true. Looking over this thread again has reinforced my belief that it doesn't matter what your title is going to be,but that the key factor is JOBS AVAILABLE. Before going in either direction,look into what the job market is like for those fields (MA vs LPN) IN THE AREA WHERE YOU LIVE. I cannot stress how important that is. If there are plenty of MA jobs and it's what you want to be,do that. But if you aren't seeing that many being advertised,that may be a bad sign.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Still In School? Done

Are You Working? Hardly

this web link has all the list of all Georgia Technical Colleges.

http://www.dtae.org/teched/colleges/

they offer ma, lpn, paramedic etc. If you choose a diploma level program,you can go to school for free through the Hope Grant.

I graduated from the lpn program in 2004...I went for free because of the Hope Grant.
Good luck!!

Are You Working? yes

Hi everyone!

I am a RMA and I recently graduated 4/05, from an 8mth program of Medical Assisting. I love what I do! But I too, also want to be a nurse but the length of time is impossible for me right now. Still trying to figure that out. I work for an Urgent Care Center for a local hospital and it is AMAZING!!! I have so many certifications now (urine drug screens, hair drug screens, breath alcohol testing etc)I can work in many Occupational Health Centers. My starting pay was 10.64 per hour plus shift differential for working nights and weekends! I always wanted to be an MA and a perfect one at that. When I passed my RMA I was sooo excited it was the best feeling of accomplishment IN MY LIFE. Before this I used to be a Medical Secretary. So medicine is part of my life!!!!! I can do both now. Like the girls say is you have to figure out what you want to do with your education and what makes you happy. This is it for me!!!!!! Money isnt everything...you have to love what you do....money comes later.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Registered Medical Assistant

Are You Working? Yes

i am in ma school now, and all i hear is that lpn's are being phased out, and cma's can do more than lpn's, that's the reason i went to school to be a ma. i'm going n2 my 3rd quarter and have talked to some of the ma's whom have graduated and NONE of them have found jobs!!! they had to resort back to waiting tables or working n there previous professions... i look n the newspaper and net and all i see is lpn, rn, cna jobs, it's as if the medical profession EVERY where don't even recongnize cma's, i'm spending a bundle to go and i question WHY i chose it EVERYDay.... I'M ACTUALLY GOING TO GO CHECK N/2 LPN classes next week.... it's TRUELY NOT all bout the money, but for the money i'm spending and time i'm spending on a certificate , I AT LEAST NEED TO BE ABLE TO FIND A JOB when i get out.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: cma

Are You Working? no

The duties between MA's and LPN's are different. There is no " who does more" , it is rather "who does what". The scope of practice is different.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA/LPN

Are You Working? yes

Go for LPN, tha's just being real, doing what you love to do comes second in my book, I have two kids who need to be taken care of, I don't know about you, but that requires money, in Ohio, where I'm from , LPNs are NOT being phased out, except at ONE hospital here. and LPN new grads startout at like 18.00 per hout when Mas make 8-9 dollars per hour not to mention there has been notONEadd4 MA in my local paper for the past 4 weeks, believe me I have checked, and only 4 people who graduated with me out of 13 people have ajob as an MA. Please don't waste you time. Go for LPN, that's what I'm gonna do.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Working? yes

I have my associates degree and I did not get paid one cent more than before I got it. Don't be fooled. If you are going to pay that much go to nursing school.

As a forum for medical assistants, I would like to see more positive input and less criticism. Medical Assisting is a wonderful career and a much needed profession. If you are looking just at the money aspect, you will not become wealthy. If you are looking for variety, interest, and job satisfaction, then Med. Asst. is for you. Not everyone needs to move into a nursijng career. There is room and a need for both medical assistants and nurses. And remember, there are many skills that M.A.'s learn, that nurses are never taught. Nurses have no training in running lab tests, coding, clerical functions, and/or phlebotomy. Med. Asst's are not less than a nurse, just different from a nurse. Let's consider all the positives!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA,RN

Are You Working? yes