This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Supervising

Interesting story:
a few months ago, I started a new job. My manager noticed that I have an extensive lab background, and offered me the position of supervising our very busy medical lab. I agreed.
I completely transformed the lab into a multifunctional, organized, and federally compliant environment. The problem, though: The girl who managed the lab before me still works there (she was demoted). I perform QA audits randomly, and she has 98% of the errors in the lab. I've addressed this with her, suggested ways she can improve, and STILL she makes the same errors over, and over, and over. In my opinion, it's not an error if it happens consistently; its laziness or non-compliance.
I do not have the authority to fire the girl, and I've forwarded the errors to my manager. Nothing is being done about this girl, despite the fact that there are numerous documented errors that can (hopefull not, though) effect our CLIA/CMS inspections.
I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle here...
Any advice???

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA, BMO

Re: Supervising

Wow. It sounds like you have gone through the channels with documentation, going to management etc.. wish I could offer more :(

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA/ RMA/CNA /SN

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? Yes

Ok... I've decided: I spoke with my manager, and told her that either the lazy girl be dealt with or I'm resigning as Laboratory Manager.
I want to have no part in failed inspections, patient harm, etc...
We'll see what happens.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA, BMO

keep us posted!

Are You Working? Yes

Update:

Well, I think that my story has taken an interesting twist: my manager came to me recently, saying that she thought I was being "too hard" on the staff, regarding lab operations. She pretty much said that federal regulations aren't that important, and that we shouldn't being firing people because of non-compliance... I guess that's what happens when your office manager has never worked in the medical field before (and came into the field as a former J.C. Penny manager).
So, I decided that we definitely weren't on the same page... I quit. Within 12 hours, I had already been hired as the manager of a family practice/chiropractic clinic! I guess all things happen for a reason...

Are You Still In School? RMA, BMO

Good luck with the new job. Congrats on sticking to your morals and leaving.

Are You Working? Yes