This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How much did you pay for school?

Hello, I am wondering the cost everyone has spent for a medical assisitng program. I am going into a associate degree program and it seems very very expensive! It is $30,800 for the entire program. Is that about average for a private school? The diploma program at the community college here is the same amount of time 18 months and it is around $8000. Is there a difference between diploma and associate degree CMA's? Thank u for reading.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: C.N.A

Are You Still In School? i will be?

Are You Working? yes

Re: How much did you pay for school?

That does sound quite pricey, though I know the associate degree program for RN that Pima medical institute is offering runs about $30 K also.

As long as you are eligible to sit for the CMA or RMA certifications, diploma vs AS really does not matter as far as being an MA. If you plan on pursuing another degree later on, doing the AS program will at least knock out some of your core course work. To make the most out of that you would want to try to take the two semester anatomy and physiology that is geared towards pre med and nursing, instead of the one semester one geared towards other allied health professions, if possible. Still, I think for the $22000 difference you could probably find another way to take those core courses and save some money.

The only thing you may wish to consider is that the AS program might be eligible for more financial aid than the diploma program. Still, the price gap is considerable and I don't think grant aid would cover that gap.

Good luck. If it were me, I would do the diploma. (I already have a BS and am looking into MA school because I lack technical skills ).

Are You Still In School? not yet

Are You Working? yes

I went to a private school, and graduated with an A.S. My tuition was $30,000.
I think that there is a slight difference in the A.S. and diploma MAs: everywhere I've worked, I've made more money/hour then diploma or certificate MAs. Plus, having a degree opens up greater possibilities of management.
But, I must say that a diploma from one school can certainly be better than a degree from another. Choose your school wisely, whatever level of education you are seeking.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA, BMO

In Memphis Tn, Schools offering Associate Degrees in MA, are around $22,000 and for Diplomas and 8 months of school is $8,995 This is the Private schools, The technical college is around $4,000 and 1 year in length, 8 hours per day, The private schools are more expensive but 4 hours per day.....Pay starts about 12.00 an hour, and goes up for experience....

Right now I am attending ECPI in manassas for the MA program and I am paying about $23,000. I only have to pay about $9,000 back so it's not so bad. I was in the work study program for about 2 months and got about $1000 taken off from that. I wil be joining the phi theta kappa when I can afford to pay the initial $65 to join(I dont have a job right now) and will hopefully get some tuition assistance from that. I interviewed for a job today at the local hospital for a nutrition aide job and supposedly I could get some help from there as well in the future. I'm trying to play my cards right so that I can get the cost of my tuition down. My boyfriend is also in college and he's paying $75,000 for a bachelors degree, so I consider myself lucky lol.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Graduate as a MA in June 2007

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? Yes

Amber,

I go to ECPI in Manassas also!!!! I'm sure we've passed each other and never knew it!!!

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no

I am starting the Comprehensive Medical Assistant(associate degree in specialized technology) classes this fall (16 months) and paying $18,000.00. The diploma course in Med. Assistant is $8,000.00, (8 months)and both are offered in the same accredited school..Hope this helps!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Laid off from Sony Electronics.

Are You Still In School? Just starting in the fall.

Are You Working? no

Wow thats a lot of money to pay for school only to make 12 bucks or so an hour. My Associate Degree Nursing program is only 12 grand!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: undeciced

Are You Working? Yes

Ditto medman, mine too!

I paid $5,000 for my MA program in the early nineties.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA,RMA, CNA, SN

Are You Working? yes

The cert. program at the local community college here in Maryland is about 2,500 and the AA degree is around 4,500 - 5,000. I started in the Cert. program but have since changed to the degree as I expect to comtinue into a BTS (bach. in Tech. Studies) program at a state university. I currently work full time for a GI doc and make 14.50 hr ( without the CMA ). Another MA I work with is making 16.00 hr and she never went to school, but has a lot of experience.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA, DT, CNA

Are You Working? yes

I went through a MA program four years ago. It was only $23 a unit, and the program was about 32 units....so about $736 not including books.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA-C

Are You Still In School? BSN program

Are You Working? yes

There is some thing seriously wrong here I can see a difference of a few hundred dollars (between different states) but "THOUSANDS"? WHAT GIVES

Are You Working? no

Could be public vs. private school, communtiy college vs university etc..

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA,RMA, CNA, SN

Are You Working? yes

I will be attending Career Training Academy in Pa. this fall and when deciding on which school to attend it seems all the MA schools in my local area( community college,etc.) are in the same ball park. I just choosed a better accredited school and one that was easy to get to from my home. I still can't under stand the difference (HUGE) in schools tuitions on this board

Are You Working? no

I am in Las Vegas and have recenlty been to several MA schools. For a certificate it runs between $9,000 - $12,000. Associates are about $24,000. They used to offer it at the Community College, but no more, so vocational schools are the only option.

Mine was so cheap because california does not pay tuition, just registration. They stiff us with taxes instead.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA-C

Are You Still In School? BSN program

Are You Working? yes

My college catholic based private I guess, cost about 7,000 something with all the extra fees and such...per semester so like 28000? a lot! This is why I need scholarships? any suggestions?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: na

Are You Working? yes not in medical field yet

Rose
I am in Las Vegas and have recenlty been to several MA schools. For a certificate it runs between $9,000 - $12,000. Associates are about $24,000. They used to offer it at the Community College, but no more, so vocational schools are the only option.

CSN now has the program again. It is CAAHEP accredited and runs three semesters full-time or five part-time. http://sites.csn.edu/health/officeassisting/medoffassistcg.pdf lists the costs and other information.

Thats very expensive, i paid 7k after grants, so it was like 13k total and even that was expensive.

Are You Working? Yes, but not in healthcare

$30 grand?? Wow, that is a really expensive education!

My community college program is costing me TOTAL (including books, uniforms, AAMA membership, etc)around $5,000.

Jenny

I attend a 12 month private CAAHEP accredited school. It costs $9450.00 for the entire program.