This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
CURIOUS

I AM IN MED. ASSISTANT SCHOOL NOW. I ALSO HAVE A CERTIFICATE (not yet certified) IN PHLEBOTOMY, IF YOU HAVE KNOWLEDGE ABOUT PHLEBOTOMY AND YOU BECOME A MEDICAL ASSISTANT, WILL YOU MAKE A LITTLE MORE THAN SOMEONE WITH NO PHLEBOTOMY EXPERIENCE?
COULD SOMEONE THAT ENJOY'S BEING A MED. ASSIS. GIVE ME SOME POSITIVE WORDS ABOUT THE JOB? I KNOW THEY DO NOT PAY AS MUCH AS A LPN, BUT IS THE PAY WORTH IT? DO YOU HAVE REGULAR RAISES? I LIVE IN GA. WHICH IS TERRIBLE PAY ANYWAY, BUT IF I HAD TO MOVE WHERE I WOULD MAKE MORE MONEY I CERTAINLY WOULD.

SUZANNE (STUDENT)

Your Professional Title/Credentials: I HAVE A CERTIFICATE IN PHLEBOTOMY

Are You Still In School? YES, I AM IN MED. ASSIS. NOW, 2ND QUARTER

Are You Working? NO

Re: CURIOUS

Hey I live in GA too but have to wait to start school because we are moving. Where I live starting pay ranges from $7/hr to $11/hr or so (that is just what I have seen - I am no expert). I have heard pay is better down in FL - specifically I think in Melbourne - there was a thread about this a while back and I do not think it is available any more, but I believe it was somewhere on the space coast that had really good MA pay.

Good luck. Are you going to one of the state technical colleges? They are such a great deal with being able to use the Hope grant and all.

Since the MA program teaches phlebotomy, I am not sure that you would get a higher wage because of phlebotomy certification.

I love being an MA. You can do so many different things, it is hard to get bored. I have over 10 years experience, but I make more than a starting LPN wage, so it is possible with time to work your way up.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA/ RMA/CNA /SN

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? Yes

Suzanne,

I doubt if you'd make anymore but it might help you get a position. My reasoning being that when you graduate MA school, they assume you're already proficient in phlebotomy.

Pay varies with cost of living expenses.

I love my job. It's never boring, the staff is great, the doc is great, great hours...the only downside is the pay where I'm at. I work in a family practice that's extremely busy but that's the way I like it because the time just flies by.

Lorraine
CMA, CNA

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA, CNA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes