This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
specializing

I am considering starting an MA program at a local college. My question is this: what are the opportunities to specialize and advance? I have always been interested in the medical field but I have never been able to pinpoint where. I like a variety of activites, but more importatnly I like to advance. The advisor at the school said there are opportunities to get bachelors and masters degrees in the health field by building on the MA education. If I find I am particularly drawn to the lab portion, could I specialize in that? Has anyone advanced in their MA career without becoming a nurse?

Thanks for any advice/info.

Kelley

Your Professional Title/Credentials: n

Are You Still In School? n

Are You Working? n

Re: specializing

Probably the most common route for advancement as a MA would be in the admin (office manager)aspect unless you want to go back to school.

In most cases, not many if any credits transfer to other programs. I don't see many job offers here as lab techs for MA's. Those mostly require more knowledge and education than you'll get in most MA programs. If you think that's what you'd like, you may be better off just enrolling in a lab tech program.

Lorraine
CMA, CNA

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA, CNA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

I believe most lab techs here are the MLT's, medical laboratory technicians. That takes more schooling and a seperte certification from CMA. You can work as a lab tech though drawing blood, running tests, plating specimens and such. I have done that in the past. It wouldd probably not involve running the entire lab, proficiency testing and such.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA/ RMA/CNA /SN

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? Yes

I agree with what Lorraine said, regarding advancement in the admin area to medical office manager (but to be an effective office manager he/she must also understand what goes on in the back office) and I confirm what Tracy said about MLT's in the lab.

I'd like to add that a foot in the door in one of the larger regional hospitals can also offer better advancement opportunities than working in a small medical office or highly specialized group practice. However, in this region where I live you can only get into the hospital if you are a CMA (not even RMA--they want CMA!!!) But this may differ from state to state, or region to region. It's just these hospital's preference.

Once you are in you may want to check with the HR office and build excellent rapport with your supervisors and next time the need arises for a higher or related position they may recommend you for a promotion or allow you to crosstrain.

Here are some other interesting medical/health care occupations in and around a hospital:

Cardiovascular Technologist
Electrocardiographic Technician
Emergency Medical Technician
General Radiographer
Health Unit Coordinator
RN
Licensed Practical Nurse
Massage Therapist
Medical Assistant
Medical Laboratory Technician
Medical Record Coder
Medical Record Technician
Medical Record Transcriptionist
Medical Secretary
Nuclear Medicine Technologist
Nursing Assistant
Occupational Therapy Assistant
Optometric Assistant Technician
Pharmacy Technician
Phlebotomist
Physical Therapy Aide
Physical Therapy Assistant
Physician Assistant
Practical Nursing
Radiography
Registered Nurse
Respiratory Care Aide
Respiratory Care Practitioner
Respiratory Therapist
Respiratory Therapy Technician
Radiation Therapy Technologist
Surgical Technologist

Here is a good website to learn more:
http://www.medicalassistingcareer.com

Danni

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Admin

Thanks for all the replies! I am definately the kind of person who wants to continue to get addisitonal education no matter what field I am in. So overall, is this a good way to get my foot in the door, to find out what I like, or should I start somewhere else? I want to get into a career that can last a lifetime, go where I go, but still be exciting, challenging, and let me move up the ladder. Healthcare definately fits the mold.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: n

Are You Still In School? n

Are You Working? n

Danni gave you excellent advise. If you definitely want more education but don't mind the initial expenditure or time of MA school, it would be a good plan for you to get the MA, get a tech position in a hospital where you can get exposure to many other healthcare fields and decide where you want to go from there.

Good luck to you!

Lorraine
CMA, CNA

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA, CNA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes