This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lorraine... You asked for it. And here it is!

Hello Lorraine...
It is so nice to know I have you in my corner. So check this out. Here is your very own place to get important tips and your views online...

Lorraine's corner:
http://www.certmedassistant.com/lorraines_corner.htm

Any thing that is near and dear to you regarding medical assistant students and professionals.

Tip: You might want to go through the long list of previous posts (yours!) and copy those that came up over and over and over. I know, for example you have responded to "what's the difference between being an RMA and CMA" many times.

You might have to put some of the many responses to the same question together into one well written summary. And then, from then on, should the same question be posted again you can simply refer them to the right place for answers: Lorraine's Corner!!!

If you want to quote the question that goes with your response you can do that. A brief quote is okay.

If you want to utilize someone else's entire post word for word it might be a good idea to ask permission. Most people are happy to grant it especially if it is for such a good cause that benefits our medical assistant peers!

Make sure you don't write about something that you aren't sure of. Although you can always add a disclaimer, it goes without question that it's always best to steer clear of such things.

SO THERE YOU GO... LORRAINE's CORNER! Have fun!!!

Please email your articles to me at certmeda@yahoo.com and I will place them on the Advanced Medical Assistant of America site.

Danni

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Admin

Re: Lorraine... You asked for it. And here it is!

Wow! Thanks so much! Okay...I'm putting my thinking cap on! I hope I can come up with something worthy!

Lorraine
CMA, CNA

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA, CNA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

I just checked out Lorraine's Corner on the AMAA website. The post on licensure was very well-written, and thorough, yet concise.
Great job, Lorraine!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA, BMO

Thanks, I was more than a bit apprehensive...lol. The compliment is appreciated.

Lorraine

Are You Working? Yes

Lorraine has done a fine job. Anybody interested in her article but not sure where to look here is the URL:

http://www.certmedassistant.com/lorraines_corner.htm

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Web Site Owner/Site Admin

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

I just jumped on the wagon... After reading your post again, Lorraine, I decided that this is a very worthy cause to advocate. I wrote a 2 page letter on the subject, to the State Senate, Board of Medical Examiners, and the Department of Health.
I am determined to see regulations for the MA educational programs, as well as a knowledge/competency-based licensure examination in Florida...
I'm thinking of petitioning...I know several MAs who are getting fed up with things...
What do you think?

Karmaadm,

I'd be very interested in helping out with such a worthy cause.

This should be a national issue and not a state by state one. I've searched high and low and can't even find any MENTION of legislation pending or otherwise pertaining to MAs, other than those few states mentioned in my article.

Now...if we could get the NURSES to push for us to be licensed...after all, they seem to have issues with us regarding scope of practice, etc....I just feel like MAs are kind of a non-entity in presence. Like I said, no one even really knows who we are or what we do let along care whether we're licensed or not.

I also know MAs who are disgruntled but they honestly don't seem bothered enough by anything to make any change...now if you told them their pay would go up, that may peak their interest...

Lorraine

Are You Working? Yes

Karmaadm,

I forget, are you a member of the AAMA? They have a bi-monthly magazine that I'd assume reaches a fairly large audience. I really don't have a clue what their stance is on licensure, I've never seen it mentioned in the magazine.

Maybe we should start a MA magazine....lol.

Lorraine

Are You Working? Yes

Lorraine,

That is a GREAT idea. Everyone knows that, of all the health professions, nurses have the BEST lobbyists in state and federal government. I'm sure that these individuals would be more than happy to see regulation of the practice of Medical Assisting (after all, they seem to be the ones with personal issues, regarding the MA scope of practice).
However, I'm hesitant to involve nurses, with the fear that conflicts of interest may arise (e.g. we are pushing for greater rights; they are pushing for a more limited scope of practice). What do you think?
I am a member of the AAMA. You just gave me an idea to get them involved. I have initiated a movement within the AMT already. It would certainly help our cause to involve both entities...
I am so SUPER motivated now!

I am so, so happy that I have finally found someone that stands up and knows exactly whats going on, and what we do as MA's. It is bringing tears to me, because noone knows our capabilities. They speak on what they think and here, and not what they know. Our proffesion is so rewarding and there are so many things I/We can do, that they ignore our skills. We are treated with no respect, and most of all, some MA's don't respect themselves enough to know what they can do.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: NCMA

Are You Still In School? No, Graduated

Are You Working? Yes

This is a really good discussion. kardaam was right in mentioning that RNs would like to see "regulation" of MAs. In fact, they would really like to see MAs "regulated" out of a job!

Our profession as MA needs to be "protected" against such as this. We need to band together and get something done. Any suggestions about what I can do or how to approach my states medical society??

Your Professional Title/Credentials: BSE; RMA(AMT)

Quote: "In fact, they would really like to see MAs "regulated" out of a job!"

You are right!!! It's not funny, yet it caused me to laugh. Sometimes things are so not funny, it's funny!

ROFLMAO.

Thanks for all the great posts, Suzy.

Danni

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin

Hey gang. Haven't been around for awhile! Other crap going on, you know how it is.

Anyhow, just had to throw this into the pot. Our RN (who is a sweetheart BTW) is retiring at the end of this year. Our Dr. is talking about NOT replacing her but having us take over most of her duties. Hmmm, why WOULD he replace her when he can get us to do most of her duties for peanuts???

Please don't think I'm saying we're equivalent to an RN or even an LPN, I'm not. However, in many office settings such as ours, there really isn't a whole lot that she does that we can't. She's certainly not using her disease process knowledge or really working independently of the Dr. She does give some injections that we don't, procrit being one of them. There is however no legal reason that we couldn't give them.

We'll see what happens!

Lorraine

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Working? yes

Have you compared the job description of the RN with that of the MA? Now, here is a good argument for hiring more MAs and paying them better wages: the MA is just as capable as the RN.

If you can show that you can perform these duties, that is something you can take to your boss in asking for a pay raise. Hey, it's worth a try!!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: BSE; RMA(AMT)