This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
OPINIONS

I AM ATTENDING SCHOOL FOR MEDICAL ASST AND I WILL BE FINISH SOON. (JUNE 1ST) AND I WOULD LIKE SOME INFO AND OPINIONS ABOUT THE WORK FEILD OUT THERE AS AN MEDICAL ASST. OR ANY HELPFUL HINTS OR IDEAS, ANYTHING THAT YOU CAN GIVE ME. I APPRECIATE THIS VERY MUCH.
IT IS A BIG WORLD OUT THERE AND I WANT TO BE READY

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MEDICAL ASSISTANT

Are You Still In School? YES

Are You Working? NO

Re: OPINIONS

JERZ GIRL,

Could you be a bit more specific about what info you're seeking?

Lorraine
CMA, CNA

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA, CNA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

I AM INTERESTED TO KNOW WHAT THE WORK FIELD IS LIKE OUT THERE. IS IT HARD OUT THERE IN THE WORK FIELD? BECAUSE SCHOOL SEEMS REAL EASY. WHAT KIND OF ENVIROMENT IS IS BEST TO WORK IN(HOSPITAL, DR OFFICE, ETC.)? ANYTHING THAT YOU CAN TELL ME WILL BE APPRECIATED. AND THANK YOU FOR REPLYING.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MEDICAL ASSISTANT

Are You Still In School? YES

Are You Working? NO

Hospitals don't offer MA positions as you have to be under the direct supervision of a doc. They do however hire MA's to fill "tech" positions such as phlebotomists, EKG techs, ER techs. Just go to a local hospital network's website and do a search for technical positions to see what you may be able to do in a hospital environment.

MA positions were created to work in doctor's offices and clinics.

I guess it depends where you work. I've gone into offices where the MA's are sitting at the front office chatting. We don't have time for that in our office. We're busy from the moment you walk in until you leave. Front office involves: filing charts and paperwork, pulling charts, scheduling appointments, answering sick calls, setting up tests for patients, checking pts in and out, and more. Back office is rooming patients, getting med lists, history, symptoms, BP, drawing blood, giving injections and some lab work. Myself, I prefer to be busy. I wouldn't say it's hard, but there's not much room for error. It can be stressful.

Lorraine
CMA, CNA

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA, CNA

Are You Working? Yes

most of the time it is very hard to find MA position if you don't have experience. If you do your internship and they leave you there, you'd be very lucky. So just try to do a good job and you may be in luck, otherwise it can be tough.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? no

Hi JerZ--

I live in Michigan and here MA's do in fact work in the hospital. Some jobs are labeled " patient care techs" but quite a few of them are specifically asking for an MA. True, the scope of practice is to be carried out under the supervision of a doctor, but at my hospital, you can work under and RN as well.

I felt very ill prepared coming out of school. In my opinion, many of the schools churn people through the program so quickly that there can't possibly be enough time to know all that you should know. Having said that, I have always worked in peds and my school didn't spend more than a day on pediatrics. Your job as an MA will get your foot in the door and your training has a wide scope of practice. Make yourself marketable by knowing your stuff, knowing your patients and the problems that they commonly face.

I think I've gone on enough! Sorry for rattling on and on!

Missy

Your Professional Title/Credentials: medical assistant

Are You Working? Yes

what school are you graduating from>>?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: NONE YET

Are You Still In School? WANT TO GO

Are You Working? YES